L39 is it a good buy ?

/ L39 is it a good buy ?
The L39 is a great tractor. Nice size, and very strong for its size. No, I've not heard of any known flaws & I've followed everything written about the Kubota TLBs for years. We have an M59 Kubota TLB with over 1000 hrs and it works fine.

Attention to recommended maintenance, covering it against the weather (I use a tarp), and greasing the zerks before they need it are all keys to keeping it going well.
BTW, you don't need to keep that older style diesel in the L39 reved up to full RPM unless you need the power. It will work just fine forever at a fast idle, and doing so will help you learn how to work the BH smoothly.

Much was written about L39s in the last ten years here on TBN. There was one owner who did extensive modifications on his and documented his work with lots of photos and posts.
If you search on "L39" here on TBN you may find him.

Before you carry a lot of heavy loads around in the FEL, I suggest you also read recent threads on when to use 2wd vs 4wd.

You may want to add a few things while parts are still available. One would be a thumb assembly for the BH. That's big money, but you have half of it and can price out the rest via online parts Catalogues on Messick's website. Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More...

Another thing to get is a set of operator manual, service manual, and also the parts manuals. Parts manuals come in three sections: Tractor, BH, and Loader.

For way less money but just as important, put some abrasion protection on vulnerable hoses (Amazon), and also get a cotton (breathable material) tarp to throw over the seat, instruments, and operator platform to keep the rain off of the electronics.

Welcome & Good Luck. It looks like you got a good one.
rScotty
Thank you for all of your advices sir. I havent thought of cover the the operator platform and hose to keep the reain out of it but you're right that is the right thing to do to keep the machine last long. Thank you sir

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #12  
You are welcome. For covering the platform you can get by with a cheap vinyl tarp for a few months, but vinyl traps moisture and leads to rust problems.
Once you figure out what size tarp you want, get a breathable fabric tarp. Two types that work are the traditonal waxed cotton duck tarp in 16 oz. weight or less. Or try the new silicone-coated poly/cotton blend. Chicago Canvas sells both online. They call their poly/cotton blend "iron horse" fabric. It is 15 oz. weight.

For overall size, a 7'x9' size tarp is a little too large for our M59. I'm guessing that a 6'x8' would fit better & be easier to handle. The L39 should be similar.
Good luck,
rScotty

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #13  
There are a ton of grease points on these machines. Check the manual carefully, and be sure you hit them all. I numbered them in the manual, then I count down as I go through them. FEL, Front axle, backhoe, 3 pt links…there are a bunch.

/ L39 is it a good buy ?
There are a ton of grease points on these machines. Check the manual carefully, and be sure you hit them all. I numbered them in the manual, then I count down as I go through them. FEL, Front axle, backhoe, 3 pt links…there are a bunch.
I played with it couple hours this morning and pay attention to the bucket, the hoe like you told me too. This tractor is long for sure . One thing i really love about the front end loader is the feature auto level. This feature will be helpful if i use the fork. I havent grease it yet since it still have a lot of grease on it. But next time i will make sure i grease them all, and you're right , there are so many grease point on this one sir

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #15  
KUBOTA L39 is a Fine Machine which I have owned new since June 2005.

"I will tell you the GOOD, the BAD,and the UGLY; but all the machines are as great as the operator."

THE GOOD
They do not make machines like this anymore. The Prices on everything have sky-rocketed since we were all born!
Yesterday's prices are now Today's bargains!

THE BAD
The beef is a lack of knowledge of add ons, schematics, Aux Hyd Lines, etc and DO NOT ASK YOUR KUBOTA DEALER TO FIX!
WHY? Because they do not know, nor have the details in their schematics. The less the know the more you spend to find out $$$$$$$$$!

THE UGLY
All manufacturers are making their products inferior to get your HARD $ to buy and fix.

Great True Comedy line from John in the ANIMAL HOUSE is how business is DONE! ... 1:10min "You ****** up and trusted us, but we can help you."

The apple of my Eye of is JCB is a PERFECT PICK OF MACHINES,
But hold your horses when they want 80K - 140K PLUS with a wait of almost a year to GET IT! I called Thurs Oct 28, 2021 multiple dealers and they are all sold OUT!

1CXT JCB CXT1 - - Video Search Results

3CX15-SUPER
JCB 3CX15 SUPER Loader Backhoes For Sale

Now L39 40K New and used 25-30K is a bargain compared to 80K-140K!

Thank you for your time.

Jack Koesar
540-622-4163 Linden,VA

/ L39 is it a good buy ?
KUBOTA L39 is a Fine Machine which I have owned new since June 2005.

"I will tell you the GOOD, the BAD,and the UGLY; but all the machines are as great as the operator."

THE GOOD
They do not make machines like this anymore. The Prices on everything have sky-rocketed since we were all born!
Yesterday's prices are now Today's bargains!

THE BAD
The beef is a lack of knowledge of add ons, schematics, Aux Hyd Lines, etc and DO NOT ASK YOUR KUBOTA DEALER TO FIX!
WHY? Because they do not know, nor have the details in their schematics. The less the know the more you spend to find out $$$$$$$$$!

THE UGLY
All manufacturers are making their products inferior to get your HARD $ to buy and fix.

Great True Comedy line from John in the ANIMAL HOUSE is how business is DONE! ... 1:10min "You ****** up and trusted us, but we can help you."

The apple of my Eye of is JCB is a PERFECT PICK OF MACHINES,
But hold your horses when they want 80K - 140K PLUS with a wait of almost a year to GET IT! I called Thurs Oct 28, 2021 multiple dealers and they are all sold OUT!

1CXT JCB CXT1 - - Video Search Results

3CX15-SUPER
JCB 3CX15 SUPER Loader Backhoes For Sale

Now L39 40K New and used 25-30K is a bargain compared to 80K-140K!

Thank you for your time.

Jack Koesar
540-622-4163 Linden,VA
Thank you sir, i really enjoy the L39, it strong to fulfill what i need. And its crazy how expensive the JCB is 🤢

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #17  
Thank you sir, i really enjoy the L39, it strong to fulfill what i need. And its crazy how expensive the JCB is 🤢

The JCB wasn't always an expensive machine. I know because it was on my own "short list" of possibles when we were looking for a new tractor in 2008.

Back then, the low initial cost of the JCB 3CX backhoe made it popular with rental companies, but the brand wasn't doing well for some of them. At several local rentals I stopped to see about renting one and instead two places offered to sell me a low hour rental JCB for less than what the M59 cost new.

That scared me off JCB, and I know now I did the right thing....but dang, those JCBs are sure cute.....
rScotty

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #18  
Two more things.
1. Check filters and radiator screen just be sure.
2. The aux hyd off the back runs over the boom/swing attach point. Make sure when you swing fully to the left (If you are sitting in the seat) that host isn’t hitting the downrigger (in the up and down position). If it does you will need to be careful, but its good to know before you break it. Mine is plumbed inside the boom so I just noticed that difference. Probably fine but good to check.

Here is a pic of mine for fun!
how do you like the M62? I have an L45 but I am toying with moving to the m62. Thumb, front hydraulics, and the beautiful new 39" tilt bucket for the bH. I can get all of that with the new L47 but the added lift capacity of the M62 sure is apealing.

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #19  
Solid machine, 14ft BH reach. I’m not a fan of a bunch of grading type work on a BH, just not enough chassis mobility to make it efficient. BH is great for trenching/foundations/holes.

We have a thread going you might want to post there for others to comment.

/ L39 is it a good buy ? #20  
Solid machine, 14ft BH reach. I’m not a fan of a bunch of grading type work on a BH, just not enough chassis mobility to make it efficient. BH is great for trenching/foundations/holes.

We have a thread going you might want to post there for others to comment.

Agreed. Backhoes are for digging holes. Excavators are much more versatile with what they can do with the boom.