L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
Hi,

Please see below for two pictures of the bottom of my L4240 with an LA854 loader with a Third Function Valve. Coming from the main hydraulic fluid drain plug location is a hose leading back to either the third function valve solenoid or the loader. There was an official looking heavy metal orange cover bolted over this to protect the hose fitting that I have removed. I should also mention I have two rear remotes.

I find no mention of this hose or cover in the L4240 owner's manual or the LA854/Third Function Valve installation manual. Does anyone else have this?

Also, when there is such a hose, what's the best way to drain the hydraulic fluid? Anything I can think of will have the draining fluid coming out sideways rather than down. Some predictability as to where the 11.4 gallons of draining fluid is going to go when when I take it apart would be great.

Thanks.

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid #2  
I have the same exact tractor(L4240 HSTC)with the Kubota third function but no rear remotes;I will take a look when I have some daylight.But it sure doesn't look familiar.

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid
Hi,

There was an official looking heavy metal orange cover bolted over this to protect the hose fitting that I have removed. [...]

Here's a post from someone else where the heavy metal orange cover I removed is shown:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/287436-will-someone-l4240-3rd-function.html#post3411413

It's the sixth picture in that post. At least I know now that I'm not alone.

Still, how would you drain the hydraulic fluid? I know I can get it out by removing that cobbled-up-looking hose, I'm looking for the best way based on someone's experience with this.

Thanks.

I have the same exact tractor(L4240 HSTC)with the Kubota third function but no rear remotes;I will take a look when I have some daylight.But it sure doesn't look familiar.

Thank you.

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid #5  
I will be following your post as my 5740 with third function is close to the 400 hour service.

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid #6  
Thank you.
My tractor does not have this connection,I believe to the drain plug opening.Only way to drain is remove the hose I guess?Again I have the Kubota third function and no rear remotes.

Looks like there are two options for this portion of the "3RD FUNCTION KIT". See the PDF below on page 10 for option B4601 and page 12 for option B4602. I have option B4602 on page 12 and parts 030, 040, 050 and 080 are the plumbing from the drain plug and the metal cover.

I know the options are labeled (5) and (6), the first four options for the kit seem to be for the controls and solenoid valve and the last two options seem to be for the plumbing to the front remote and a few other things.

Does anyone know why my dealer would have used option B4601 or option B4602?

Not having heard from anyone on how they drained this I'm going to remove the hose from part 050 and hopefully catch all of the fluid in a large, long drain pan (Home Depot Large Concrete Mixing Tub). I'll send a picture later of me and my pole building floor covered in Super UDT2.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6282199/PDFs/OPTION.pdf

My tractor does not have this connection,I believe to the drain plug opening.Only way to drain is remove the hose I guess?Again I have the Kubota third function and no rear remotes.

Thanks very much for checking, I appreciate it.

It seems then that some hydraulic plumbing has been used by my rear remotes that make this necessary or my dealer used the wrong kit.

/ L4240 w/LA854 and Third function valve: question on draining Hydraulic Fluid #9  
What I don't like about your hook up is that it hangs low(I know it has a guard).Anyway; nice choice of tractor,I really like mine.Approaching 1,000 hrs.right now on mine.

What I don't like about your hook up is that it hangs low(I know it has a guard).Anyway; nice choice of tractor,I really like mine.Approaching 1,000 hrs.right now on mine.

Indeed, it is lacking for that reason and that it just doesn't have very good integration with the rest of the tractor. To repurpose the HST drain plug for this feels aftermarket.

I'll get over it and I do like the tractor. It does so many things for me I don't know how I'd get along without it.