L4330 not turning on

/ L4330 not turning on #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
Still searching
I have a 2006 L4330 HSTC. I used the tractor for a couple hours yesterday and then parked it. There were no issues with starting the tractor yesterday. This morning, I noticed a degradation of electrical components. First I was able to get the glow plug to turn on, but not crank the starter. The next turn of the key from off turned on the dashboard lights, but the glow plug light was not on. Finally, it degraded to the point where nothing turns on after turning the key. The measured voltage on the battery is 12.7V, which is low, but I would have assumed 12.7V is enough to turn on the dashboard gauges.

It seems like removing the battery is not particular fast and easy, so I wanted to make sure it was in fact the battery before going down that path. Could it be something else? The battery is definitely not new, but no idea how old it is (predates my purchase).

Last edited:
   / L4330 not turning on #2  
Get a new one and be happy. Batteries are the most neglected and maligned part of any tractor, next to the air filter, both of which I renew regularly.

/ L4330 not turning on #3  
Are you measuring voltage directly across the battery terminals? Dirty cable connections may be the problem. If not:

My 2003 4330 original battery lasted 15 years and only took a few minutes to replace. If yours is original (very possible), do what 5030 said and just replace it to see what happens. It doesn't owe you anything more and it's a lot easier in the summer than in the winter.

Afterthought- did you try jumping it?

/ L4330 not turning on #4  
Are you measuring voltage directly across the battery terminals? Dirty cable connections may be the problem. If not:

My 2003 4330 original battery lasted 15 years and only took a few minutes to replace. If yours is original (very possible), do what 5030 said and just replace it to see what happens. It doesn't owe you anything more and it's a lot easier in the summer than in the winter.

My original was a nx110-5mf. If that's yours too and this is a manufacturers model number, then yours is probably original.

/ L4330 not turning on #5  

I replace both of my Group 31's every 5 years because they take a beating when I'm farming and the one thing I don't want is a flat battery when it's 10 degrees outside and I need a tractor to plow snow.

When I change batteries I also clean all the contact points including the main ground to the frame.

Take a lot of CCA's to spin a stone cold diesel when it's bitter cold out and no, I don't plug them in. No power in the tractor barn.

/ L4330 not turning on
@jmc It was measured across the positive terminal and the pin on the loader for ground. My tractor has a cab and air and that is making removal of the battery far more complicated than it should be. It's definitely not a matter of just taking out the tie downs.

/ L4330 not turning on #7  
The L4330 has the battery in the front just like my big M's do. My batteries are much bigger but not hard to remove and replace and yours isn't either. Maybe I'm missing something.

/ L4330 not turning on #8  
I would replace the battery. Batteries are consumable items and need replacing every few years. When you replace it, make sure to get a paint pen and write the date of replacement on it.

If you want to be double sure your battery is shot, when you bring it to the parts store, ask them to do a load test on it. Many of them will do it for free and will only take but a few minutes.

Good luck...

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L4330 not turning on #9  
No reason to replace your battery until you clean the terminals thoroughly and clean up/tighten the ground connection to the frame. If the problem persists after that the battery is very likely bad but still, as Diesel85 said, have your parts store load test the battery. If the battery tests bad then of course replace it.

/ L4330 not turning on #10  
On the Grand L there is usually an auxiliary spade terminal feeding some fuses in a box at the front of the tractor. That connection can have problems have replaced clamp and terminal on my L3130GST