L4400 HST struggling on hills

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #11  
The HST is not an agricultural transmission, it's mainly used for mowing and sometimes for loader work, it robs the engine of a lot of power. If you want power and convenience you have to move up to a CVT.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #12  
The HST is not an agricultural transmission, it's mainly used for mowing and sometimes for loader work, it robs the engine of a lot of power. If you want power and convenience you have to move up to a CVT.

Don't tell my tractor that!It pulls a two bottom plow,roto-tills,brush-hogs and pushes a 8' snow plow.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #13  
Just to nit pic a moment; you don't have 30 degree slopes on a public highway. That is hellaciously steep.

A 30 degree slope is around 57%. See chart inserted here. I realize you were just conveying that there are some ups and downs to the road.

Good point!

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #14  
I have found in my case that taking it out of 4 wheel drive will help in going uphill roads.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #15  

I agree. In my view an HST is something invented for lawn mowing and in a little larger tractors for loader work. Otherwise better off with a good old stick. Standard transmission. I have no experience with the CVT but it seems to be offered only on large (100hp & up) machines. Expense and complexity.