L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick?

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #1  

popsx3

Looking at a L4701 , the 4wd lever doesn't want to engage/disengage without a mighty struggle. Is there a trick or is this one bad?
Thanks

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #2  
On my L3800 it helps to turn the wheels slightly one direction and / or the other with the clutch disengaged then try again

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #3  
Looking at a L4701 , the 4wd lever doesn't want to engage/disengage without a mighty struggle. Is there a trick or is this one bad?
Thanks

I purchased my 4701 new about a year ago. It was a struggle to get the 4wd lever to engage. It finally did, after some arm wrestling, and I haven't tried taking it out of 4wd due to the steep terrain and snow and the lack of a need to drive on paved surfaces. Perhaps the control would loosen up if I were to regularly use it, will try tomorrow and see.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #4  
Just don't force it so you don't bend or break stuff inside the transmission.

The lever should move freely. If it's hard to engage, it's because the teeth on the gears are no aligned. Just move the tractor slowly forward, while gently applying pressure on the 4WD lever.

To disengage, either lift the front of the tractor with the loader, or move the tractor back/forth, while gently applying pressure on the lever to disengage.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #5  
On my MX when it’s tough I just lift a little weight off front wheels with bucket

Andy

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #6  
My little BX2200 is the same. You just need to roll forward slowly until the gears all mesh up. Never force!

When they are all meshed up, the shifter operation is smooth as butter.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #7  
+10 to what everyone else said. Turn wheels, or move slowly forward/back. It will slide in. No force required or should be used.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #8  
I generally engage my diff lock while moving before I need it. That way teeth are moving & will lock up. Don't engage it when 1 wheel is spinning or it will grind & slam in breaking things as it tries to lock up the spinning wheel to the one with traction. A little motion with both wheels moving is good, a lot with only 1 is bad.

If you are already stuck, try to engage the diff lock. If it goes in, great. If not, bump the go pedal to spin thing internally so gear teeth line up better then try again.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #9  
Thanks

My MX5400 is the same way. I'm always surprised by how much I have to rotate things before it will engage/disengage, but you'll get there. That said, it does seem to require more force than I expect even when it's ready to go.

/ L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick? #10  
One of the ways to improve the disengagement of the four wheel drive is to adjust you tires air pressure to improve the ratio from front to rear. With most tractors having loaders we are doing the air adjustment on the rears. Many people will have to much air in them and they need to remove some.