L5030HSTC after 2 years

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Since I was not shy at all about posting any issues I had with my L5030HSTC, I thought I'd give a brief synopsis of 2 years of ownership. You know, after I've actually had this particular tractor for a few hundred hours and have really used it in about all conditions.

When I first got the 5030 I had basically two issues with it. One ended up being a bad lift cylinder on the loader and the other ended up being an incorrect return spring on the hydro pedal that was installed by one of the dealership's people. The bad lift cylinder caused the loader to bleed off, and the wrong spring resulted in a very jerky hydro pedal. Both were fixed long ago and I've been quiet since.

The loader on the 853 loader on the 5030 is strong and smooth to operate. It will lift considerably more than what it is rated to lift. I have right at 200 acres of property and I've used the loader extensively doing everything from digging, carrying boulders, to clearing 30" of snow. In retrospect, I think I would like the curved loader arms for the increased visibility. But, they were not available on the 5030, so that was not an option. Otherwise, it's been great. I've probably had it on and off two or three dozen times. That is no problem at all. The quick detach bucket also makes it very easy to switch back and forth from the pallet forks to my bucket. If you ever plan on dropping your bucket off, I'd suggest that system. Overall, I'd give the loader a grade of A-. I only add the "-" because I would like the curved loader arms.

The cab is one of the reasons I bought the tractor. When I bought the tractor, I looked at every tractor in that hp class with a cab, and the Kubota cab was tops by far. I've now seen the new JD cabs and they look sweet! My choice would have been tough if JD had cabs back then. Anyway, the A/C works great on the hottest days and the heater has no problems keeping the glass defogged and the driver warm in the winter. I've been really impressed with the beating the cab can take from limbs and other brush. I have thousands of bushes and trees that like to try to get at me. It's nice to not be slapped in the face when operating a tractor. Also, it's really nice to see all the bugs on the outside of the cab; where they can't get me! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I would rate the cab an A+.

This tractor is only the 2nd tractor I've had with a hydro drive. I still wasn't too sold on the hydro part after having gear drive tractors for decades. I had a big issue with that wrong return spring on the hydro pedal and hated the drive until that was fixed. Once that issue was put behind me, I'd have to say that I'll likely not be in any hurry to ever go back to a gear drive tractor. I've used plenty of ground engauging equipment like my plow and disk for 16 hour days in 100 degree heat, and I've never had an issue. I see no way to run a tractor harder than pulling a disk all day long (16 hours), locked in 4X4 and standing on the diff lock in low range. If the hydro was ever going to heat up it would then. I gave it all she was worth for days on end during the summer and never had an issue. In my situation, going around boulders, trees, and other objects, I think I would have been really hard on a clutch creeping along, stopping, hammering it again, over and over and over. I would give the hydro drive an enthuastiac A+.

The engine in the 5030 is second to none. Even on the coldest mornings it always has started right up without hesitation or even need for using the glow plugs. That has been true for me in temps down to -10. The engine is about as smooth as I could imagine, and I've owned over 50 diesel powered units before. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I basically never have to get out and clear seeds and fuzz out of the grill to keep the tractor cool on hot summer days. When doing the plow and disk work mentioned earlier, I would have constant plumes of seeds and white fuzzy stuff in the air. You know how that sticks to the grill. Even on the hottest days, working the tractor at 100% capacity, I never had the engine approach hot. The engine seems to be about as good as it gets. If I were at high altitude, I may want a turbo engine, but I'm not, so nomally aspirated is fine for me. I'd give the engine an A+.

I'm running short on time right now, so I'll just give a summary of the overall tractor. I can answer questions later. I've been running my bush hog in high weeds and hit an erosion rut so hard and so deep that it not only immediately stopped me in my tracks, but really yanked on the seat belt. If I didn't have the seat belt on, I would have really tested the front glass strength with my head. I just knew that I at least broke an axle and bent two rims, and was hoping that not a lot more was broken. Imagine my surprise when I was able to use my loader to get myself out of the rut and discover that nothing was broken or even bent! I don't think you are going to find much more durable of a tractor. An operator can't take much more than what I did, so an even stronger tractor may actually be a bad thing; if one exists. The external lift cylinders on the 3 pt. hitch make it extremely strong and smooth. The standard telescoping arms make attaching an implement quick work. The standard array of instruments let you know what is going on at all times, including ground speed, exact PTO speed, and travel distance besides the expected gauges. Basically, the only thing I've ever had wrong that was from Kubota was the one lift cylinder (the spring issue was on the dealer). With the extreme hard work I've put the tractor through and a few hundred hours later, I'm very well pleased that absolutely nothing has broken. I'd planned on trading to the JD4720 cab when it came out. Now, I think I'll just stay with the L5030HSTC. The JD4720 was the only other tractor I thought was in the same league as the 5030 for what I wanted, but it didn't have a cab. At the time, I thought I'd "settled" for the L5030HSTC. Now I think it has found a home. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #2  
Brent, I've got tractors without cabs. I'm really curious if you could expand on your cab description a bit.

What features and benefits do you see that are better with the Kubota cab over some of the other brands (I recall that you checked out several brands that had cabs over the past 2 years and each time you've indicated that you preferred the Kubota cab . . . at least up until now since JD just entered the market). So now that you have seen the JD with a cab, and you said it is "sweet" would you rate it as good, better than, or not as good as the Kubota cab? Any why? And what about the other brands and their cabs?

I know you went through a lot of tough times with your hydro. Its good to hear that it has finally been fixed. It seemed like you were ready to dump your tractor for a while, but now that they put the correct spring in the pedal you sure sound happy. Like you, I've also been totally sold on the functionality of the hydro tranny. While there is a loss in power than can slightly effect some applications, things like FEL work and mowing tasks are for efficiently accomplished with a hydro. I'm not sure why so many of the other brands don't offer hydro in larger machines. I suppose it might be that they are playing catch up on the technology issue.

BTW, I'm really tired of NEWBIES who post "I've had my XXXX brand tractor for 43 hours, its the 1st tractor I've owned, and you should buy one too because it does more than I thought it would do" It is REALLY NICE to see a long term review from someone who has owned tractors from every major brand for the last couple of decades! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #3  
Bob,

I'm surprised to here you say this.

<font color="red"> "BTW, I'm really tired of NEWBIES who post "I've had my XXXX brand tractor for 43 hours, its the 1st tractor I've owned, and you should buy one too because it does more than I thought it would do" It is REALLY NICE to see a long term review from someone who has owned tractors from every major brand for the last couple of decades!" </font>

People are stating their pleasure for their machines and an expensive purchase. The short term reviews from "NEWBIES" are helpful for those looking to buy similar are are in a similar situation. Plenty of people complain too. It's not all roses from the new guys. That's what the discussion is all about IMO.

Yes, it's nice to hear a long term review of something other than a BX with 15 hours on it, I agree.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #4  
Jim, my comment was obviously directed to the new owners who are so full of enthusiasm that they have to inject their tractor preference into every thread even if it does not make a lot of objective sense to do that. New owners don't often realize how powerful even a small tractor is, they also don't have a frame of reference for good ergonomic design, etc. The other class of owner is the guy who went from a 50's era Ford to a new XXXX brand and then thinks he knows everything there is to know!

I want to know specifically why Dargo feels the Kubota cab is superior to the other brands. What controls are placed better, what gauges are easier to read, what works better than something else. Just because someone else has a cab does not mean it is as good as the 5030 cab. I've run comparisions on the ergonomics of loaders and some brands are clearly superior in some ways than other brands. I've done similar things with box blades, with buckets, etc. But until you use multiple tractors, and preferably multiple brands, then you really have very little frame of reference.

Seems to me that it is hard to get objective criteria anymore because people get offended to easily. Hey, I won't get my panties wadded up in a bunch if you honestly and objectively point out flaws in my brands of tractors. Not one is perfect! So if I point out that someone else doesn't have a clue, or experience, then that point stands as objective, not as an insult.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years
Hey Bob, I've been off searching the woods and freezing my private parts off. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Anyway, the Kubota cab is their 2nd generation cab in the Grand L series that I am aware of. Some people are turned off by electronics in a tractor, but I see it as what is coming. I recall back when people honestly wouldn't buy a car with power windows because they were "just something else to go wrong". Tractor electronics are not like the electronics you would have in your PC or even pocket PDA. They were designed to be used in a tractor. If you want to look at the really large farm tractors that are over 100k, you'll find even more electronics in those. I'm one of those who see technology as a good thing.

Anyway, one close competitor I spent time driving and crawling all over, around, and under was the Kioti offerings with a cab. Not that they were bad, but they were on par with the first generation of Kubota Grand L cabs. I owned a L4310HSTC a few years ago. As compared to no cab, it was fantastic! However, there was more noise, the fit, finish, layout, and gauges were not up to the new series offered by Kubota. The Kioti cab did have a sunroof, which I thought was neat, but the dealer told me that nobody uses them other than to let heat escape when they have been parked in the sun. My tractors will never sit outside. Also, I like the position of the FEL joystick in the new Kubota cab tractors (the new JD4720 operates and seems placed about the same) better than in the Kioti offering. The Kioti only had the basic gauges and did NOT have a hydro offering in the 50 hp range.

My personal opinion was that the "other" green tractors out that also have cab offerings did not stack up to the Kioti. They seemed to be even more basic and there were more gaps in the fit and finish. I also checked out the Tractor King offerings with cabs. I'd have to say that their cabs were the most primitive of all the cab tractors I drove, but they were priced about $10,000 less money than even the Kioti for about 30 more hp than either the Kioti or Kubota. As in all others with cab in the 50 hp range (and above), they also did not offer hydro.

I guess I'd say that the Kubota Grand L series cab was quieter, had better gauges and electronics, seemed sealed better and was more air tight, flexed less when the tractor was put in a bind, and had superior fit and finish. I know I keep mentioning the JD4720 cab and people are going to think I have a complex about that tractor. Maybe I do. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If I were out to buy a new tractor in the same size and similar hp range, I don't know which I'd go with; the Kubota Grand L5030HSTC or the John Deere 4720 hydro with cab. I know the JD just came out, but I doubt that they will have too many first year bugs in the cab. However, when I did price them (yeah, I have looked rather closely), they seem to still be bringing a premium over similar tractors, i.e. the L5030HSTC. I guess I'm glad that I don't have to choose between the JD and the Kubota right now. I just can't figure out why CNH have not rolled out with cabs in that size tractor. I think the concept of staying cool in the summer, warm in the winter, not being covered in dust and dirt, and not having bugs chew on you is beginning to appeal to more people.

Anyway, that's my findings after 2 years of pretty darn hard use. When I say hard use, I mean running wide open and dragging the tractor to nearly stall RPM's all day long in 4X4, locked differential, low range, and in the summer heat pulling more than what it is rated to pull. And, I do know exactly what you mean about some people being new to a modern tractor and are impressed with what we take for granted. I have owned tractors for over 20 years, I do have thousands of hours of seat time in CUT's, and I have owned numerous tractors from several different manufacturers. I certainly do not want to paint myself as a know it all, but I definitely can offer a different prospective on a tractor than someone who has now put their first 50 hours on their first modern tractor. That is sort of why I thought I'd post a 2 year evaluation.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What size plow and disc are you using? )</font>

I have an old Massey Ferguson 3 bottom 14" plow and a 10' double row disk harrow. When they both bite in, it's all I can pull. I have big chunks of utility poles strapped to the disk to give it more bite.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #8  
I will add it is actually Kubota's 3rd generation Grand L cab. It has come a long ways. It has a bit further to go I think as it is lacking when compared to an ag tractors cab. There are severe limits on space though in a compact tractor and Kubota does well with it.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #9  
Bob,

Yes, I understand that you are talking about the new owners....

I think there is more than two classes of owners (new and old, know-it-all), but I get your point.

I didn't mention Dargo and his cab and was just speaking about your last comment about the newbies. I've read your comparisons. They are excellent posts.

When could you get objective criteria.....Did I miss the time long ago when objective criteria was standard practice and it now longer is? People like what they buy generally and talk about it. It's up to the reader to take their comments with a grain of salt or not.

Nope, none are perfect and I never have a problem talking about the problems I've had.

If I said Bob Skurka "doesn't have a clue", I think you'd be insulted. If I said Bob doesn't have the experience, then that would be objective.

This was as objective a response I could come up with.

/ L5030HSTC after 2 years #10  
How many hours is on your now?