Comparison L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
Considering the following Kubota machines in the mid-50 HP range: Grand L5460 ROPS HST, MX5400, ROPS HST, or M5660SUHD (or similar gently used, previously generation of any of those models).
I am also considering which tractor that we currently own should go, and which we should keep: '69 Ford 3000 gas with 2900 hrs. OR '14 Kubota BX2370-1 with 540 hrs.

We have 100-acres in NW PA that we live on but also have a few small cabins/camping areas where we permit youth organizations to camp for free, several weekends each year. All of the major bulldozing, land clearing, etc. was done back in the 60's and 70's by the previous owner. We are averaging about 100 hours per year on each the Ford and the Kubota. 60% mowing, with the remaining 40% spreading/hauling dirt/gravel/mulch, tilling garden, driveway/trail maintenance, hauling firewood in bucket/towing trailer. Snow removal, small trailer towing and other simple chores are done with our Kubota RTV1140 (also averaging about 100 hrs. per year).

The main reason for considering the above machines is the desire for a larger, 4x4 machine with a capable loader. Our only loader tractor is the BX, which has been a great improvement over a shovel and cart, but we are looking for more.

If we get rid of the BX (has 60" MMM), we would need to get a ZTR or garden tractor for trimming and mowing areas where the larger tractor with Woods RD990X mower won't fit. We would also need to upgrade the implements that we only use with the BX: a 60" tiller and a 48" brush hog. The benefit of all of this would be that the Ford and the newer, larger Kubota could share all the 3pt implements that we own since they're similarly sized.
If we get rid of the Ford, then we would have two tractors with loaders, both would be diesel, and I wouldn't have to add a third dedicated mowing machine. The Ford is in very good shape. The only known issue is that the left side rear axle seal has just started leaking this year. If we keep it, then that is on the list to repair next summer.

We did visit our dealer in October and looked at an MX and a Grand L. We both really liked the Grand L, and I can really see the benefits of the HST+. I have not been on a M5660SUHD, but added this to the list since it's a true utility tractor, which is what our current Ford is.

I'm currently leaning in this direction: Grand L if keeping the Ford, and perhaps M5660SUHD if keeping the BX, but am certainly open to thoughts and opinions. We would likely be making a decision around March of 2020.

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #2  
One type of fuel is nice!!! Hydro's nearly anyone and everyone can drive! Ford has a leaky axle and a 3500 hour engine life typically of a gas engine. Good luck with your decision!

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #3  
What is the value of the Ford if sold? Perhaps keep the Ford and the Kubota, and get a new tractor as well.

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #4  
   / L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD
What is the value of the Ford if sold? Perhaps keep the Ford and the Kubota, and get a new tractor as well.

We have had three tractors in the past, and for our uses, it’s just not necessary. Would it be nice, yes, but it’s just more to take care of and store. It is often that we have two tractors and the RTV on a project.

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #7  
We have had three tractors in the past, and for our uses, itç—´ just not necessary. Would it be nice, yes, but itç—´ just more to take care of and store. It is often that we have two tractors and the RTV on a project.

I have kinda found the same thing. I bought a cabbed Grand L 5460 this summer and thought I would still use the smaller Mahindra 2615. But the truth is the Mahindra now collects dust. I just prefer the cab and hydro. I have however had two trucks for ten years and use them both almost weakly.

This could vary if you have the need to operate multiple tractors at once (multiple operators) or have the need to change implements often. By the way the Grand Ls are awesome machines.

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD
I have kinda found the same thing. I bought a cabbed Grand L 5460 this summer and thought I would still use the smaller Mahindra 2615. But the truth is the Mahindra now collects dust. I just prefer the cab and hydro. I have however had two trucks for ten years and use them both almost weakly.

This could vary if you have the need to operate multiple tractors at once (multiple operators) or have the need to change implements often. By the way the Grand Ls are awesome machines.

Either my wife or a friend or other family member are typically the second operator for projects, mowing, etc. So, we do have relatively frequent instances of multiple machines being used.

The only Grand L our dealer had on hand when we visited was their rental machine, an open station L6060. Impressive. If I was buying my first tractor, I would be happy with an MX because I didn’t know any different. However, I’ve been operating tractors for 20+ years, and find what the Grand L offers to really be great. A hesitation is, how will the electronic HST+ features and things like the dash display, be working on 15 or 20 years?

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #9  
Considering the following Kubota machines in the mid-50 HP range: Grand L5460 ROPS HST, MX5400, ROPS HST, or M5660SUHD (or similar gently used, previously generation of any of those models).
I am also considering which tractor that we currently own should go, and which we should keep: '69 Ford 3000 gas with 2900 hrs. OR '14 Kubota BX2370-1 with 540 hrs.

We have 100-acres in NW PA that we live on but also have a few small cabins/camping areas where we permit youth organizations to camp for free, several weekends each year. All of the major bulldozing, land clearing, etc. was done back in the 60's and 70's by the previous owner. We are averaging about 100 hours per year on each the Ford and the Kubota. 60% mowing, with the remaining 40% spreading/hauling dirt/gravel/mulch, tilling garden, driveway/trail maintenance, hauling firewood in bucket/towing trailer. Snow removal, small trailer towing and other simple chores are done with our Kubota RTV1140 (also averaging about 100 hrs. per year).

The main reason for considering the above machines is the desire for a larger, 4x4 machine with a capable loader. Our only loader tractor is the BX, which has been a great improvement over a shovel and cart, but we are looking for more.

If we get rid of the BX (has 60" MMM), we would need to get a ZTR or garden tractor for trimming and mowing areas where the larger tractor with Woods RD990X mower won't fit. We would also need to upgrade the implements that we only use with the BX: a 60" tiller and a 48" brush hog. The benefit of all of this would be that the Ford and the newer, larger Kubota could share all the 3pt implements that we own since they're similarly sized.
If we get rid of the Ford, then we would have two tractors with loaders, both would be diesel, and I wouldn't have to add a third dedicated mowing machine. The Ford is in very good shape. The only known issue is that the left side rear axle seal has just started leaking this year. If we keep it, then that is on the list to repair next summer.

We did visit our dealer in October and looked at an MX and a Grand L. We both really liked the Grand L, and I can really see the benefits of the HST+. I have not been on a M5660SUHD, but added this to the list since it's a true utility tractor, which is what our current Ford is.

I'm currently leaning in this direction: Grand L if keeping the Ford, and perhaps M5660SUHD if keeping the BX, but am certainly open to thoughts and opinions. We would likely be making a decision around March of 2020.

Very thoughtful. And I see you have plenty of time to decide. As for the Ford, It's hard to get rid of an old friend, and your Ford sounds like that. We have a similar old JD that has worked for us for many years and refuses to die.... or even to have many problems. Plus it is so simple that anyone can fix it with baling wire and some thought. In fact, that seems to have been the prevailing philosophy of those old tractors. And being an "old tractor" myself, that is something that I can appreciate.

But you asked for opinions and here's mine: I'd keep the BX just as it is. It's too handy to let go. And I'd add whichever of the M series with HST+ that catches your fancy.
For the Ford, I'd find some young couple who just getting started & who value used tools .... you know the kind...and make them a heck of a deal on that old Ford.

rScotty

/ L5460, MX5400, M5660SUHD #10  
If you aren’t doing a ton of mowing or field work, maybe even a used TLB to have true heavy loader/digger capacity? Keeping the BX sounds very handy if the money isn’t a problem. A full utility size with the BX is good too but a TLB will out load any M series. $20k can get a TLB like a 310 in pretty nice shape and they are beasts compared to a loader on a utility tractor.

Had i the budget I would have done a TLB and a BX sized tractor. I needed to land in the middle.