L5740 battery/starting issue

/ L5740 battery/starting issue
I don't think he has a meter
I have a meter and the battery shows 12 volts after I charged it for a couple of hours. Sorry I didn't mention that before.
I still get absolutely no power in the cab. My next step will be to remove the dashboard cover and check for rat damage.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #12  
Since the fusebox is right there visible next to the clutch pedal, why don't you check to see if there's voltage at the fuses before you start tearing into the dash panel?

Or maybe you already did??

If there's no voltage there, need to head back toward the battery and ground cable.

Since the fusebox is right there visible next to the clutch pedal, why don't you check to see if there's voltage at the fuses before you start tearing into the dash panel?

Or maybe you already did??

If there's no voltage there, need to head back toward the battery and ground cable.
Good idea. I will try that first. Thanks.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #14  
Good idea. I will try that first. Thanks.

Just a suggestion. Be sure you're absolutely sure that you have a good ground from battery to chassis before you drive yourself crazy. Check from the positive battery terminal to a bolt or bare metal on the frame to be sure the ground is good. Otherwise you're going to get 0 volts everywhere you check (unless you're jumping all the way back to the battery ground as you troubleshoot -- which wouldn't make sense . . . )

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #15  
12v is a dead battery. you should be at 12.6-12.8v

What was the voltage before charging? Does your meter have an ohm setting? If battery is producing voltage, you clearly arent getting voltage to the tractor. Start tracing wires. Are you getting 12v to the starter? (thats usually where the positive cable goes). What about between starter and the chassis somewhere (to make sure ground connections are good). Start checking voltage at the fuses, the key switch, check safety circuits, etc

I have 12 volts to the starter. I don't seem to be getting power to the fuse box. The part shown below attaches to the battery and there are 2 connectors that plug into the bottom of it.
I do get power to the screw you see on top, and there is power to the left of the screw also, but no power to the bottom where the connectors plug in. It looks to be all intact, but still no power. I came into my office to call my local dealer to see if they have one in stock. But 2 dealers don't open until 8 am...

I'll go check continuity on this part now.

1633092302597.png

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #17  
At least you have the problem isolated now.

What the heck is that box? Is there a fusible link in there or is it simply a junction box where the plastic modular plugs attach at the bottom to get power from the battery? I'm sure you wiggled things around and made sure the connections are all clean and secure.

I was under the hood of mine a couple days ago and tapped a new power wire right at the battery for a 3rd function valve. I don't recall seeing that box on mine. I'll look again.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #18  
Not sure what that box does....but I think you are on your way. Just keep tracing the power circuit. IF you are getting power to that box, but not beyond it I think you have found an issue. The question is whether its a connection issue or something that is repairable, or if replacement is the only answer

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #19  
What about that main fuse block right behind the left headlight??? Sure everything there is OK?

There's a 60 amp Main fuse there and 3 others.

Here's the WSM troubleshooting page. Looks to me like you're still stuck right at the top section.

Hope you can read this. Let me know if not.

IMG_1850.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #20  
The picture you showed is a fuseable link block. The 4 windows in the front should show a thin metal bar (the bar will be burned off if that part of the fuse is burned out). I "think" the power from the battery will go to the first big lug, then the other big lug will attach to the starter. The smaller ones will feed the rest of the system. Look for a burned out spot in one of the windows. Usually you can put a meter or light on each fuseable link to check rather its blown on not.