Tractor Sizing L5740 HST equivalent

/ L5740 HST equivalent #1  

nebraskasparks

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
Still love my 5740 but was looking at deals now being offered and the cab on other models like the 6060 look inviting. Any thoughts?

/ L5740 HST equivalent #2  
Still love my 5740 but was looking at deals now being offered and the cab on other models like the 6060 look inviting. Any thoughts?

The 6060 was 12K more than a 6010 Kioti and the Kioti has, IMO, a better cab layout.

Disclosure: I bought a Kioti 6010HST cab a couple of years ago.

419732d1428261432-kubota-l6060-mahindra-3550-kioti-10873456_10204004517612784_5936689278726637580_o-jpg

That said the most awesome reason to get a 6060 is the auto hitch system.

Last edited:
   / L5740 HST equivalent #3  
owning the same Kubota that you have and having purchased a Land Pride Quick Hitch for it, after hours of use, I found the original Kubota hitch actually easier to use.
But I really like the outfront flail mower in the video; see tons of uses for that near ditches.

I see a new M5 in my dealer's front lawn. nice looking tractor.

/ L5740 HST equivalent #4  
I'm sure the new L6060 is a nice tractor with a bit more refined cab, but personally I bought my L5740 to avoid it. I prefer my cruise control operation and added a Grammar air ride seat. The air ride seat was not an option on the L5740HSTC, but is on the L6060HSTC and I absolutely hate the vulnerability of the hydraulic loader hose and third function connections. We also enter/dismount on both sides and a right side entry is not offered on the L60 Series.

I don't know anything about the Kioti as it's really not an option for me, but I can't see me getting rid of a perfectly good tractor for a nicer cab, I tend to buy and keep, we still have and use tractors made in the 50s, 60s.

/ L5740 HST equivalent #5  
I'm sure the new L6060 is a nice tractor with a bit more refined cab, but personally I bought my L5740 to avoid it. I prefer my cruise control operation and added a Grammar air ride seat. The air ride seat was not an option on the L5740HSTC, but is on the L6060HSTC and I absolutely hate the vulnerability of the hydraulic loader hose and third function connections. We also enter/dismount on both sides and a right side entry is not offered on the L60 Series.

I don't know anything about the Kioti as it's really not an option for me, but I can't see me getting rid of a perfectly good tractor for a nicer cab, I tend to buy and keep, we still have and use tractors made in the 50s, 60s.

I bought an L6060 ROPS (cannot use a cab model due to potential interference with tree limbs) in December.

I agree with you about the lack of a step on the right side but, sadly, few (any?) manufacturers offer right side steps anymore. I'm having a local welder fabricate right side steps for my 6060 and my M9960. Like you, I want to be able to easily mount/dismount from either side.

I have the single lever manifold for the FEL/third function valve and worry a bit about its vulnerability to damage when working around brush as I sometimes do.

The 6060 is expensive and thirsty but just about ideal for what I use it for in other respects.

SDT

/ L5740 HST equivalent #6  
I bought an L6060 ROPS (cannot use a cab model due to potential interference with tree limbs) in December.

I agree with you about the lack of a step on the right side but, sadly, few (any?) manufacturers offer right side steps anymore. I'm having a local welder fabricate right side steps for my 6060 and my M9960. Like you, I want to be able to easily mount/dismount from either side.

I have the single lever manifold for the FEL/third function valve and worry a bit about its vulnerability to damage when working around brush as I sometimes do.

The 6060 is expensive and thirsty but just about ideal for what I use it for in other respects.

SDT

When I had my third function valve added to mine, they had to take my step off, but my brother modified it with an extension. I have breathing problems, so I have to have a cab, so my brother also fabbed up some cab protection. My left leg doesn't work, so left foot brakes were a no-go thus the 5740.

/ L5740 HST equivalent #7  
Nice cab corners - good glass protection. My Lauren cab corners are good at that too - all steel and keep tree branches away from the windows and operator. Mowing woods roads and field edges can be up to and into the branches with no worries.

Cab looks dated - but so do I ;)

Attachments

• L5450 Cab 1.JPG
    L5450 Cab 1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 289
   / L5740 HST equivalent #8  

I hate my L3940 cab with a passion. NOTHING is laid out for convenience except for the PTO dial when using the woodchipper.

Fred

/ L5740 HST equivalent #9  
Nice cab corners - good glass protection. My Lauren cab corners are good at that too - all steel and keep tree branches away from the windows and operator. Mowing woods roads and field edges can be up to and into the branches with no worries.

Cab looks dated - but so do I ;)

Heck, that ain't dated, it's classic. I do appreciate some of the goodies on the newer machines, but they are no where near as robust as the older models.

/ L5740 HST equivalent #10  

Is your current model a cab? It is this why you're interested (to get a cab)?

I was looking for more power from my L3540 and looked at the new 60 series. I opted to find a used 40 series (L5240) as I liked them better. I have a thread on here somewhere about the new series.

The newer cab IS slightly bigger and in line with Massey, Kioti etc as for size. It's a tab bigger than Deeres.

Layout is a matter of comfort, opinion and familiarity. For instance, I like the treadle peddle that many other brand owners may dislike as they aren't used to it. For me, doing side by side is more of a pain. However with enough time, I'm sure I'd grow to love it.

As for the 60 series, it has a lower fuel tank for "easier" fill. However to me it would be rough yet since I set mine on my loader arm and let it flow in as oppose to lifting to pour knee high.

The tank seems it would be broke by me as I'm always running over things (this could be remedied by a cage around it)

The new tractor has no clutch. Not a huge deal but I like and use mine. I use it when feathering the PHD and when starting my forestry mulcher for example .....

I think the LA1055 had less lift than the LA854 but I forget the specs.

I really like my infinite cruise control instead of button engaged. Plus I like the location next to my seat for this instead of on the dash.

The 40 has three in a row hydraulic levers. The 60 has 2 and the third one off set. Almost as if they added the third one as an after thought or didn't have room initially. I like my levers together and use them together with my forestry mulcher

Right side step should of been added. Although it's tight to get out, there should still be a step.

Of course there is the DPF or new emissions which were added. Seems they are working fine but I don't follow that to close.

So if you are looking to go from no cab, to a cab, then that's a big step. If you're looking to just update your machine, I'd think twice. Again, all my opinion.

Off the top of my head, I think the 60 either doesn't come with a tool box or just lacks the one behind the drivers seat. (I couldn't go without). Tools, pins etc in there.

I also think it goes from 2 cup holders in the 40 to 1 in the 60. (Not earth shattering news). Now this is all the reasons I opted for a used 40.

The 60 has a much longer and vulnerable roof as they moved the fan I believe. This I think cause greater head room over the 40.

Again again again, all my opinion and this is all off the top of my head from over a year ago when I was looking to upgrade. To many drawbacks from the 40 to get a 60

That quick attatch system also works with the 40 series. Many 40s in the video.

The kioti did have a cool sun visor which I'd like to add.

The New holland had a rear view mirror (forget who else had this) that I thought was cool too.