L60 grand series block heater

/ L60 grand series block heater #1  

riverpro

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
So I'm in the process of having my tractor assembled but up to this point haven't spec'd a block heater. Gets plenty cold here but tractor will be shedded in an unheated insulated outbuilding. My outside temp yesterday was -8 and my thermometer in the shed read 29 above. I've read where some L60 owners are getting an error code on the dash and no tractor start. My question is do I really need a block heater if I don't start the tractor below 25 degrees? I feel enough can go wrong with modern tractors and don't want to add to the complexity of it's computer system. Not sure if this is a tap in block heater from Kubota or if it threads in? I'd hate to have one blow out one day and go unnoticed and do engine damage before its too late. My thought was I could always throw my forced air propane heater a safe distance from it and blow hot air on it for an hour or so before I'd need to start it??? Anyway just curious what others thoughts are on this subject and if anyone has had problems big or small from having a block heater installed? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

/ L60 grand series block heater #2  
I installed a freeze plug block heater in my L4060 several years ago without issue. I believe some of the BX tractors use a threaded heater, but not the L60 series. The Kubota kit for mine is a press fit bushing, then the element screws into the bushing. The element does not extend past the bushing.
As far as NEEDING pre heat, I rarely see single digits, and most modern diesels start easily in cold temps, including the L60 series. So, no... Your tractor will start fine without a block heater. I prefer to pre heat to reduce wear and get cab heat sooner.
I have read about pre heating possibly affecting the computer starting controls, but not of any actual problems or error codes.
Here is where I installed mine (left side):
IMG_3525.JPG

/ L60 grand series block heater #3  
I went with battery maintainer instead of block heater. Parked in unheated garage. Not as cold as you’re going to see.

E0159F1C-95E9-46B6-8DE9-AD3065DAD3B4.jpeg

/ L60 grand series block heater #4  
My Kubota M6040 sits in an unheated carport stall. If its +20F outside - its +20F inside the carport. The M6040 came with a block heater. I've never used it and NEVER had a single moments problem starting the tractor. The coldest I've seen - the coldest I ever hope to see - was minus 20F. The M6040 started right up. I got up on the tractor - the seat was frozen hard as marble and colder than a block of ice. I reconsidered the project - let the tractor get completely warmed up - shut the tractor down - went back in the house and had another cup of coffee.

You see - being retired I have that choice ..............

However - I do keep a battery maintainer on the tractor battery in the winter.

/ L60 grand series block heater #5  
I do have a block heater on my L4240 and do use it during the cold weather for a couple hours before starting.Tractor for sure would start with-out it but I like having the oils warmed some-what.I do use a battery tender also.I plow the neighborhood so it has to start.

/ L60 grand series block heater #6  
You know what winter is like in MN!
-30F or colder,fuel is blended 50/50.
No starts for the un-prepared.
Even you never plan to start your tractor below +25F,I can surely imagine that day will come.
For the minimal cost now,please get the heater.
Someday,you will thank yourself for your foresight!
Good Luck!

/ L60 grand series block heater #7  
I live far northern MN. My dealer sells only with the block heater - at least in my case I have bough 2 Grand L’s and 2 M’s from them and didn’t spec them. They just do it in our area as the norm. Until this season, my L6060 sat in a heated garage so the glow plugs were never needed. Now my SVL took the tractor’s place in the heated garage and the tractor is relegated to an unsheathed machine shed. A few days ago it was between zero and 10 and I wanted to use the L6060. When I turned the key I got a squiggle like a glow plug symbol on the large display plus the red triangle master alert. I thought it meant glow plug fault so I went ahead and cranked and it started. Then I read the book and learned the glow plug indicator is the large squiggle on the master display. It doesn’t say anything about the red master alert triangle lighting at the same time. So mine started okay at 10 degrees without glow plugs. If I knew ahead of time I was going to use the tractor I would have plugged it in for an hour. The L5740 that the L6060 replaced would never have started at that temperature without glow plugs and engine heat.

/ L60 grand series block heater
Thanks guys for all your input. Doesn't sound like any of you have had an error code come up after preheating with your block heater, I'll probably just have the dealer install one and be done with it. In all honesty the tractor for now won't see alot of winter work until I'm able to add a front blower years down the road but at least it will be there if needed.

/ L60 grand series block heater #9  
No issues here with or without my block heater in my L4060. 20 degrees out today & it took a surprisingly long cranking time of 5 seconds or so to start up for unplanned usage. Usually 1-3 seconds, even in the high 30s. I've started it without a block heater at 15 or so I think. I usually plug in the block heater (on a remote controlled switch) if I'm expecting snow. It starts easier with the block heater & is probably easier on the machine. More importantly, the cab heater cranks out heat faster.

/ L60 grand series block heater #10  
Thanks guys for all your input. Doesn't sound like any of you have had an error code come up after preheating with your block heater, I'll probably just have the dealer install one and be done with it. In all honesty the tractor for now won't see alot of winter work until I'm able to add a front blower years down the road but at least it will be there if needed.
If you can't afford to "waste" $150 on a block heater, you might want to reconsider a $30-60k tractor. ;-) It's cheap & can be handy if it ever gets to snowing tempatures in your neighborhood. The only downside is the cord dangles a bit. But you can tuck it up out of the way.