L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #11  
the l6060 with 2200 hours i ran until last year before trading for a new l6060 ran exactly the same way then as the new one but i did find it sounding a bit louder if i actually went with the 400 hour oil change. every other kubota ive run got changed at 200. After about 1500 hours i started changing the oil sooner because i really didnt like the way the oil looked waiting so long. I'd still get with the dealer for sure though because the increase in noise from mine was barely noticeable. also, for me 400 hours was about 8 months so it wasnt terribly old oil, just thin and dark.

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder
the l6060 with 2200 hours i ran until last year before trading for a new l6060 ran exactly the same way then as the new one but i did find it sounding a bit louder if i actually went with the 400 hour oil change. every other kubota ive run got changed at 200. After about 1500 hours i started changing the oil sooner because i really didnt like the way the oil looked waiting so long. I'd still get with the dealer for sure though because the increase in noise from mine was barely noticeable. also, for me 400 hours was about 8 months so it wasnt terribly old oil, just thin and dark.
Thanks for that. I'm going to change the oil in the next few days and see if that makes a change. I think I will also start changing the oil and filter at 200hrs too. No point taking chances for a few dollars in savings.

Here is a link to a video I took of the tractor starting up and running. The engine knock took about 4 minutes to start but I trimmed the video down to just over 2 minutes. The loud noise starts somewhere after 2 minutes.

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #13  
My first thought was a possible exhaust leak developing. But after listening to your video, the sound changes abruptly.

I've had exhaust manifold gaskets fail twice on my L5740, but that was a gradual change in sound over some time. Not a quick sudden change as yours does in the video.

It will be interesting to see what's going on here. I have a L6060 with about 800 hours on it, and I haven't noticed anything like this.

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #14  
Are you totally sure it's an internal engine knock and not some bit of sheet metal, a loose bracket or an exhaust pipe buzzing as it gets hot? I've had cars that did stuff like that and drove me nuts trying to track down where the racket came from. Definitely get the dealer on it It's under warranty and shouldn't do that regardless of what's causing the noise.

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #15  
400 hours between engine oil changes seems high to me. My machines have 200 hour service intervals and I can tell you they run a lot quieter after changing the oil and filter.

Last edited:
   / L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #16  
Thanks for that. I'm going to change the oil in the next few days and see if that makes a change. I think I will also start changing the oil and filter at 200hrs too. No point taking chances for a few dollars in savings.

Here is a link to a video I took of the tractor starting up and running. The engine knock took about 4 minutes to start but I trimmed the video down to just over 2 minutes. The loud noise starts somewhere after 2 minutes.
I have an L6060, bought in 2016 which has the same diesel combustion sound change. It has done it from the day I got it, it is temperature related, on a cold day it takes longer, warm summer day it occurs very soon after start up. It appears to be triggered by engine temperature. I have 500 hours on mine

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #17  
My L3800 called for oil changes at 200 hour intervals. I was rather shocked when my MX5800 only called for the 400 hour interval. Since I only do 100-150 hours/year, I decided to go with a 200 hour oil change just because it had been a few years.

Even on my pickup, I try to change annually even when I don't get miles. I pulled our fifth wheel from Colorado to Maine and back and had an analysis done on the oil and they said it was good yet, but after that hard 7500 miles, I was changing it anyway. Newer gas cars I have are calling for 10k intervals with synthetic.

So, yes, miles are going longer, but with the tractor I'm still going to do the 200 hour interval - cheap insurance. I know my 6 Leaker Ford sounds better after an oil change (and with snake oil in it for helping the sticky injectors)

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #18  
If it were me, and I know it isn't, I'd put some quality fuel treatment in her. God only knows what your version of the EPA is making them put in the fuel these days.

But you've got a Direct Injection engine and the fuel pumps can be pretty noisy when they don't get the lubricity they want. Don't overdo it.

At least, if you do it and there's no improvement, you're not out a lot of money and it doesn't do any harm, might even do some good.

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #19  
300 hr oil change interval on my M6040

/ L6060 Engine Noise Getting Louder #20  
I've got 272hrs on my L2501 and it will be 4 years old in June. I've changed the oil in it at 50 hours and pretty close to every 50-75 hours after. I simply do the annual change and it is what it is for hours. If I followed the manual, I still would be well within the first oil change at 50 hours.