Oil & Fuel L6060 trash in fuel tank

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #31  
Reading all this make me happy that I refill the dopey tractor owner way, I fill up 2 nice 5 gallon containers from a busy gas station that sells lots of diesel. I would never be able to contend with all that troubleshooting and workarounds.

^^^:thumbsup: We get our exercise that way too.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #32  
Reading all this make me happy that I refill the dopey tractor owner way, I fill up 2 nice 5 gallon containers from a busy gas station that sells lots of diesel. I would never be able to contend with all that troubleshooting and workarounds.

So do I, yet I still had problems.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #33  
Curious to hear the outcome of this.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #34  
If you had to blow through the line to get fuel to come back to the filters you have a blockage or a link in the line.

Since you had so much of the fuel system apart bleeding it will be needed and may be a pain in the ***.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank
Well....it turned out to be one thing that I looked at but did not fiddle with. There was trash in the check valve that was keeping it open. When open, the fuel would just pump back to the return line therefore never building enough pressure to push the air out and never building enough pressure to cause the electric pump to shut off. At least this is what the mechanic told me. It starts fine now. This first pic is the invoice. My total was about $260. They also changed the screen in the water separator, which is probably where the trash came from.
0194dddbb3bf33c49ddfdd7f110ce1d198b2e31b4c.jpg

Below is a pic of the check valve on the tractor at the tip of my pen.
01f77ffa9433b337a723570885430248f39c60d420.jpg

And, another view of where the check valve is located (at the tip of my pen).
01d154fd98282a07a8d67669d9e35e4ad37f5a49c0.jpg

And finally, the check valve here in the parts diagram. I hope this helps someone in the future to save some time and maybe some money.
Check valve.jpg

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #36  
Awesome!!! Glad they got it going with no more money than that!!!!

Hopefully it'll give you good service for awhile now!!!!

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #37  
Gad you're up and running at reasonable a cost.

Thank you for posting the follow up info on where the check valve is located along with illustrated parts drawing! That's the way to complete a thread.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #38  
Time to drain and check your fuel tanks.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #39  
That was a quick turnaround from your dealer! When I was having problems I was down for a month trying to figure it out, working on it nights and weekends.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #40  
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Been having similar issues with our '13 L6060 HSTC, stalling out esp under load, fairly intermittent but was occurring with increasing and annoying frequency (eg 3 or 4 times snowblowing down a few hundred feet drive). Got somewhat better after fuel treatment so wondered re algae but still occurring. No response to new fuel filter, no water in gas etc. Had our mechanic (very skilled recently retired Caterpillar diesel mechanic, seen it all) out on weekend.

Was able to detect very low fuel fill by removing line after the electric pump (the one that goes into the check valve) and running with key on into a bucket. Suspected the electric pump but able to test that by removing the line from water separator to the fuel pump and putting that in a small container of clean diesel and retrying key on - ran fine, so issue clearly between tank and pump. Removed line into water separator from tank, loosened fuel cap and blew air through the line, can hear left hand tank vigourously bubbling as do so. Flow fine after that, reassembled system and worked flawlessly afterwards.

Realize probably some debris or slime in tank (conceivable if slime may break down after agitation with treated fuel) and if/when recurs will need to drop the fuel tank for full cleanout but that is a warmer weather task if it is required.

This thread had a bunch of useful diagrams/photos on the fuel system on these tractors for future reference. Questions on the care of the fuel systems in new common rail L tractors