Laid an EGG

/ Laid an EGG #11  
Envious of anyone that gets to eat fresh eggs. Yummmm!

Two common foods that a lot of folks go their entire lives without ever realizing what they are supposed to taste like are fresh eggs and truly fresh shrimp...

/ Laid an EGG #12  
Two common foods that a lot of folks go their entire lives without ever realizing what they are supposed to taste like are fresh eggs and truly fresh shrimp...

Absolutely True. I live 20 miles from the Copper River and the salmon is the best in the world. For Shrimp, Crab and Halibut a 135 mile drive. Life is good!

/ Laid an EGG #13  
Envious of anyone that gets to eat fresh eggs. Yummmm!
Some people won't eat them... the yolk is too yellow. The last time that I cooked a store bought egg was probably about 5 years ago. I was at the company camp and when I cracked it open it was so pale and runny that I almost threw it out. In winter when my hens aren't laying I go without.

/ Laid an EGG #14  
Some people won't eat them... the yolk is too yellow. The last time that I cooked a store bought egg was probably about 5 years ago. I was at the company camp and when I cracked it open it was so pale and runny that I almost threw it out. In winter when my hens aren't laying I go without.

I tried keeping chickens thru the winter...Very expensive.

/ Laid an EGG #15  
I don't keep track of what my eggs cost, it would scare me too badly. The only way that I could ever break even is if one starts laying golden eggs, and I believe the bird in that tale was a goose. Yet I don't think that I buy more than 3 bags of grain to get my hens through the dormant stage, it's just a PITA to carry water to them every day.

/ Laid an EGG #16  

40 years ago, tried raising laying hens. Ordered chicks by mail and only a few didn't make it. Built a 8'x8' coop with roost and nesting boxes. No problems til winter and the temperatures dropped.

Put a small milk-house heater in a wire basket to protect the chickens. Worked great until the first electric bill. Over $400. Raised holy h+ll with the Power company...and found out I was wrong. Took out heater and put in a heated waterer. Much cheaper to operate. Also insulated the coop and allowed the chicken poop to build up(generates an amazing amount of heat). Also, added a shielded light bulb on a timer to keep those gals laying.

Life got busy, feed and straw prices increased and I gave up on those fresh eggs. The sadness still lingers and I haven't had a decent store bought egg yet.:chicken:

/ Laid an EGG #17  
On the other side of the egg...erruuhhh coin. I've had one old red hen that every long now and then will lay a tiny egg. Funny looking thing too. She is well past her egg laying days but every now and then....

/ Laid an EGG #18  
40 years ago, tried raising laying hens. Ordered chicks by mail and only a few didn't make it. Built a 8'x8' coop with roost and nesting boxes. No problems til winter and the temperatures dropped.

Put a small milk-house heater in a wire basket to protect the chickens. Worked great until the first electric bill. Over $400. Raised holy h+ll with the Power company...and found out I was wrong. Took out heater and put in a heated waterer. Much cheaper to operate. Also insulated the coop and allowed the chicken poop to build up(generates an amazing amount of heat). Also, added a shielded light bulb on a timer to keep those gals laying.

Life got busy, feed and straw prices increased and I gave up on those fresh eggs. The sadness still lingers and I haven't had a decent store bought egg yet.:chicken:
Up here every sixth house has a sign out "eggs $2.00". I just keep them because my dog likes them, and it's fun to give them away when they're laying good. I moved my coop away from the house because I like walking around barefoot and that isn't a good idea when you're letting them free range; so have no way to keep the water from freezing so I just fill it every day in winter.

/ Laid an EGG #19  
What are you feeding that bird. :confused2:

/ Laid an EGG #20  
That's a nice looking egg. A friend gave us some geese and those are some impressive eggs!!! We've never tried eating the goose eggs, but our youngest puppy gets one on top of his dinner and he really enjoys them!!!

29186402_10215953681417585_4758609595423784960_o.jpg