Land is cleared... now what?

/ Land is cleared... now what? #11  
It’s still somewhat rough - some sticks, rocks, etc and some areas where a little leveling may help.

The traditional implement used to smooth after a Disc Harrow is a Chain Harrow.

However:

1) A Chain Harrow smooths but moves very little dirt.

2) A towed mat Chain Harrow is pretty cheap at Tractor Supply or other places and can be pulled behind an ATV or utility vehicle but Chain Harrows pick up a lot of trash and periodically removing trash is a major pain and tiring. Usually tail of mat is picked up manually and trash shaken out. Picking up trash and sticks may be a big benefit to you.

2a) A mat Chain Harrow can be modified to self clean using a TPH Boom Pole.

TSC CountyLine / Tarter BOOM POLE as CHAIN HARROW LIFT

3) A Chain Harrow is pretty good for covering large seeds. Small seeds, like grass, need light to germinate and are more likely to germinate when rolled in.

4) Every Chain Harrow I have used glides smoothly over stumps.

5) Do you know how to adjust Disc Harrow gang angles to reduce roughness behind the implement?

Last edited:
   / Land is cleared... now what? #12  
If this is a one off deal, I'd pay a neighbor or small business to do it.

/ Land is cleared... now what? #13  
We’ve got approximately 8 acres recently cleared and dialed. I suspect the best thing would be to run a cultipacker over it to help level and seed, but I don’t have one and can’t find one to rent. What’s my next best option? It’s still somewhat rough - some sticks, rocks, etc and some areas where a little leveling may help. Would you jus throw seed down now and deal with it in the fall (maybe run a soil pulverizer and then a roller over it?) or...? Intended for horse pasture, and now that I see how nice it can look, I love the idea of it being really well groomed. Not quite golf course but that’d be nice...
Gotta do what you want with it. If you're looking for a nice lush pasture, I'd have it turned, find what grass does well in your area and when the correct planting time is for that particular seed, and plant and cultipack. Just depends on the crop you want. You could always have it turned over and plant a summer cover crop to boost soil health and get some organic matter going.