Landini Trekker 60F

/ Landini Trekker 60F #1  

CliffordK

Veteran Member
Tractor
Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,
I picked up a Landini Trekker 60F at auction last week.

Data Plate lists 1TAL/AS, but it seems to match the Trekker 60 or 60F.

Listed as a Non-Op. If it runs, the price will be an absolute steal. If not, an expensive boat anchor, although the engine may be worth more than I paid, if it isn't the engine that is broke.

Landini Trekker 60F Right Front.jpg
Landini Trekker 60F Rear.jpg
Landini Trekker 60F Latte Photobombed.jpg

I got it home. It is a small "Orchard Tractor". No blade or bucket. But, has a 3 pt hitch and PTO (which I think is a dual speed 540/1000 RPM.

Yanmar 4TNV94L-N
4 Cylinder Diesel
3.054 Liters.
44 kW power, or about 60 HP.
Listed weight, 3,000 kg, or about 6,600 lbs.

My goal is to use it for brush hogging and mowing, although the thing is mighty narrow.

Now, for the good and bad....
About 5,000 hours. The undercarriage looks extremely good. Was it always used in soft dirt?

It came to me missing the right and left cowling. Not too big of an issue, although it would have been nice.
It is also missing:
Top Link 3pt Hitch
Battery
Alternator (with clipped wires)
Fuel Pump
Dip Stick

I have a feeling that it was intentionally partially stripped, but overall not too bad. About $100 worth of parts + the battery. The oil appears to be absolutely new, and perhaps not started since the oil change. Unfortunately with the missing dipstick, and it raining a lot, I'll have to check to see if there is some water in the bottom of the sump.

And, without fuel, I can't actually try to start it until the new fuel pump arrives.

The engine isn't seized, and seems to turn over very nicely (hot wired). It seems to have good compression.

It has a key, but doesn't seem to engage the starter with the key.

I'll try to follow up on it in a few days when parts come in.

I'm having troubles finding much support for the tractor. There is some for the Yanmar engine.

/ Landini Trekker 60F #2  
That's a great tractor! Super popular on this side of the pond. Very reliable. Looks like it has the front weights too, very nice to have. Already has the joystick for the steering, another nice thing to have.

Don't let the somewhat narrow stance scare you. They make them narrower than that, but that tractor is still super stable on hills. Great choice to work in hills indeed.

Mid mounted ROPS allows you to work under really low trees if need be.

The "F" means Frutteto, it's their nomenclature for an orchard tractor. A non "F" tractor would be wider.

As far as manuals, I've found out that it's very hard to get any for most European brands unless you go directly to a dealer and pay whatever crazy prices they ask for manuals.

/ Landini Trekker 60F
I've got a PDF version of the Landini manual ordered off of E-Bay. I found a downloadable PDF of the Yanmar manual.

Some of the basic diagnostics will be independent of a manual, for example noticing missing parts, and making sure that I have fuel, air, and power.

I'm still trying to figure out the controls (without it running yet). Some symbols are quite faded. Right and left brakes. Reverser, a couple of speed controls. I think there is a 540/1000 PTO switch.

There isn't a single joystick control, but rather two levers in the middle of the dash which somehow augment the foot controls, I think. I'll see when I get it running.

Hopefully at 60 HP, it can pull say a 6 foot (2 meter) brush hog, and that may aid with the stability.

I still have some steep spots that terrify me.

/ Landini Trekker 60F #4  
Ops. My bad on the joystick. Couldn't quite tell from the picture.

Something to consider is that some of these tractors have a clutch pedal (on the left) while the right pedal is the brake for both tracks. The steering levers often do the clutch and brakes for each tracks all at once.

My old 1962 Toselli 226 crawler was that way.

For the 540/1000 or 540/540Eco (750) PTO gears, I would expect a lever to switch between each gear.

I'm 99% sure that the 60F was the smallest they made on that line up of tractors. The next one would be the 70, then 75, 85, 95 and 105. These numbers also indicate the engine HP.

Some specs can be found here: http://forestagri.co.za/wp-content/DOWNLOADS/LANDINI/LANDINI_Spec-Trekker (1).pdf

/ Landini Trekker 60F
Ok, a fuel pump arrived yesterday.

I'm not starting it with the key, but jumping across the solenoid. At first it started right up and seemed to run quite well. Unfortunately my battery was too large to fit in the front of the tractor. And when I unplugged the battery (without an alternator), the Landini promptly died.

Now it will start (a bit tough starting), and run very well for about 10 seconds and then die. I'm thinking of a fuel starvation issue.

And that may well be related to the reason the Landini came without a fuel pump.

So, we've got some possibilities:
Bad Fuel Pump
Bad Fuel Filter
Bad pressure relief valve (in the filter base, I think).
Air Leak?

The fuel filter has a date and hours marked on it. 4 or 5 years old, but very few actual hours since being replaced.

It appears to have had red diesel, so likely pulling fuel out of a farm fuel tank.

/ Landini Trekker 60F
Ok, a follow up.
I got the new battery, alternator, and fuel pump. Still have to wire in the alternator (who ever thought it was a good idea to just whack out the wires and leave it for the next person?), but it does allow the belt and water pump to work.

Earlier issue of starting then stopping was due to the fuel shutoff switch being in the wrong direction. I had assumed inline with the hose, but rather down is on.

I had an episode of hard starting which I attributed to the injection pump solenoid not kicking in, so I now listen for a click when I turn the key. I ordered some new fuse box solenoids, but still waiting. I have it working now, and it starts up quite well.

I am still jumping the starter solenoid (with ignition key on).

I'll have to track that down sometime. Or, I purchased one of these starter buttons, and may just wire it in. I don't need any of the fancy stuff... just power to the starter.

s-l1600.jpg

Anyway, it is probably either a relay, or a safety switch that is blocking it from ordinarily starting with the key. I have a couple of mystery wires coming from the brake.

There is a glow plug light on the dash, but I don't see any glow plugs or air intake coils. So, perhaps it just starts cold.

The dipstick that I bought on E-Bay was far too long and didn't fit the hole well... Dang E-Bay sellers. I should have the correct Yanmar dipstick ordered from the local dealer for 5x the cost of E-Bay, hopefully coming next week.

No center link. My Kubota 3pt center link will just barely go short enough, so that will give me a length to purchase.

I picked up this PTO shaft at auction to get my flail running.

Twisted3pt.jpg

Grrr....

Anyway, I have to cut 6" off of the length to make it fit, but I was anticipating cutting my 6" off of the middle.

That is the reality of these auctions, one often gets a mess.

However, once I get this Landini running, it will have been an absolute steal (assuming nothing major blows up).

/ Landini Trekker 60F #7  
You pretty much have to find every little thing that was wrong without any history on it. That is really time consuming and can lead to a little bit of frustration some times. I have no doubts you'll get it going.

As far as glow plugs, I believe Yanmar uses an intake grid heater. Like Cummins used on 5.9 engines.

1714162384337.jpeg

/ Landini Trekker 60F #8  
Looks like a nice unit, hope it works out good for you.
I wouldn't be afraid of an 8 ft brush hog on 60 Hp. Many times tracked units end up running a slower ground speed then tires.

/ Landini Trekker 60F
Looks like a nice unit, hope it works out good for you.
I wouldn't be afraid of an 8 ft brush hog on 60 Hp. Many times tracked units end up running a slower ground speed then tires.
I don't have that large of a brush hog yet. I think I do have a 6 footer that I will try out.

There may be a benefit of using a large rigid rear implement as an outrigger for added stability. ;) The crawler is about 4 feet wide.

I am getting a 6 foot flail which is rated at 50 to 80 HP.

Oh, I tried to measure/estimate my slope. The steep sections are somewhere between 25° and 30°, I think.

/ Landini Trekker 60F #10  
I hope you have great success getting this in running condition. I don't understand why people treat machinery like this one has been treated.