Landscape Rake offset

/ Landscape Rake offset #1  

ehcrain

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota l3901 and massey ferguson 50
Getting ready to buy a landscape rake, I've borrowed one and like what i was able to do with it for gravel and loose dirt work, decided to purchase one myself. Is offset capacity useful in your experience or simply money thrown away? I have a L3901 with hydraulic top link, I'm going with a 6 foot and I'm ton between the EA XTreme Duty Compact Tractor Landscape Rake for 980 and the Kodiak at agrisupply for 675. Will I regret saving 300 and noy having offset?

/ Landscape Rake offset #2  
I've turned mine around 180 for pushing vs pulling into a tight spot exactly once. I've never used it slanted to the side, for my property/use, it just wouldn't do anything useful in that regard.

Wait, I did swing it 90 degrees twice, to be able to fit in and out of a gate, that I would not have been able to fit in otherwise, that was handy.

/ Landscape Rake offset #3  
I have a Kodiak grader and a no name rake from Agri Supply. Both are a little on the weak side.

I think you will be happier with a stronger built implement.

/ Landscape Rake offset #4  
I have the EA extreme 6' rake, it is well built and I don't ever worry about bending it. It stays on the back of my tractor most of the summer. I have never wished it had offset, just make sure you can rotate it 360* without unhooking from tractor!

/ Landscape Rake offset #5  
I have the cheap Tractor Supply Countrywide rake. I turn it 45 degrees for pulling gravel from the edge of the trail to the center. I also drop the outside edge 3-point arm down an inch or more so it digs in on the outside and not so much on the inside. Works great to build a crown.

I also used it to rake my food plots that were full of rocks and roots. Worked great for building windrows to come back and shovel into the bucket with a pitchfork.

I leave it on in the wintertime so I can back up to the barn doors, lower it down, and pull the roof-slop out away from the door.

So far I love the rake. No issues and I bought it off of Craigslist for $300.

/ Landscape Rake offset #6  
I've turned mine around 180 for pushing vs pulling into a tight spot exactly once. I've never used it slanted to the side, for my property/use, it just wouldn't do anything useful in that regard.

Wait, I did swing it 90 degrees twice, to be able to fit in and out of a gate, that I would not have been able to fit in otherwise, that was handy.

Note: what he describes as turning 90 degrees is not what I consider off-set but a function of angling the rake.
To me off-set means the ability to swing the rake to one or both sides behind the tractor, the angle adjust to 90 degrees is part of the function of adjusting the rake to 45 degrees or reversing the rake.
Sorry I have limited usage of a rake and it was also a borrowed one. Unfortunately it did not help with what I wanted done. I no longer have that property so no biggie now.

/ Landscape Rake offset #7  
I have an EA rake WITH offset, which is a custom ask. The way the angles work out when you offset to one side fully, you can't seem to angle the rake to a 45 so it depends on what you are trying to do. I offset a bit so I can rake gravel from the side of the yard while my tires stay on the driveway. I can set it up for that. I could also have waited to do that work until it was dry and save about $300. IF EA would make it so the in-between positions to angle the rake were available then it would be more useful as an offset.

The length of the rake also needs to be long enough that it is worthwhile offset to the side. I only got a 7' rake and It doesn't stick out as far as I had hoped to clear under trees. The more I think about it the more I'd say don't worry about that feature. Spend the money on gauge wheels instead.

/ Landscape Rake offset #8  
Also agree. Consider a 7' rake with gauge wheels. Great for driveways

/ Landscape Rake offset #9  
I recommend a wider rake. At 45 degree angle (best for smoothing ripples, humps, and potholes) a 6' rake is not wide enough to cove your tracks. Get one with a weight bar or some other means to make it dig better. I toss my suitcase weights on the 3 pt frame. Takes care of my road, driveway and even snow.

/ Landscape Rake offset
Ordered the EA rake today, now for the wait while they build it.