landscape rakes?

/ landscape rakes? #1  

SW OR John W

Tractor
Kioti CK2610SE CHSE / HST
Still getting into this tractor stuff so please forgive my lack of knowledge....I have a Kioti 2610HST, looking for a landscape rake to level and get rocks out of areas we'd like to plant grass.

Looked at a CNL Rake at Tractor Supply, and a Rankin rake at the dealer where we bought our tractor, who said Rankin is American Made.

Looking, I can see some quality difference in the Rankin, more continuous welds instead of spot welds...but looking for more informed / experienced opinions about whether its worth the extra money. This is something I'll probably use 10-20 hours a year, not a daily driver.

Thanks kindly for any advice.

/ landscape rakes? #3  
Post a link to the one your looking at so all of us dont have to try and find it.

Buying an older rake sounds great but typicaly people want big bucks for these things or are totally beat to hell..or both.

I have a 8yr old tractor supply brand rake. I did some modifications to it like hanging a 100lb weight off it and removing every other tooth. It really helps smooth things out.

How ever if your expecting this type of rake to leave the ground smooth and mowable with an average lawn mower, it dosnt do that well. Your still going to have to pick rocks. Dragging something like a chain harrow or old bed spring over the ground really smooths things out.

/ landscape rakes? #5  
Still getting into this tractor stuff so please forgive my lack of knowledge....I have a Kioti 2610HST, looking for a landscape rake to level and get rocks out of areas we'd like to plant grass.

Looked at a CNL Rake at Tractor Supply, and a Rankin rake at the dealer where we bought our tractor, who said Rankin is American Made.

Looking, I can see some quality difference in the Rankin, more continuous welds instead of spot welds...but looking for more informed / experienced opinions about whether its worth the extra money. This is something I'll probably use 10-20 hours a year, not a daily driver.

Thanks kindly for any advice.
I love my Land Pride rake. It works great. Stay away from the cheap tractor supply ones. I agree with having wheels (Make sure they are removable)

/ landscape rakes? #6  
For those who are planning ahead and want the absolute best, for the best value, EA rakes can't be touched.

A little paragraph I composed on the subject..
Travis

Rakes Take a Beating​

It's the nature of the beast. A tractor landscape rake, otherwise known as a root rake or rock rake, can be used for grading loose material, smoothing driveways or lots, grooming trails, cleaning up after acreage is logged, or even snow removal. We're talking steel tines being pulled forward, directly on the ground, and usually with debris such as rocks, brush, limbs, logs, roots, or any other sort of rubbish you may run up on. In order to use something like a landscape rake with complete confidence, the rake should be built to perform necessary tasks without the operator worrying about breaking it. Here at EA, before ever making the best rakes you can buy, we had many years of experience using, selling, breaking, and fixing rakes by other manufacturers, so we know exactly where strength needs to be, and how much movement the tines need to perform optimally for a wide variety of tasks. If you demand premium, and only want to buy once, choose EA.
Proudly Made in the USA!

See our various models, videos, and 500+ combined customer reviews here: EA Landscape Rakes

Rakes.jpg

/ landscape rakes? #7  
Years ago I bought a used Brush Hog brand rake from a neighbor. It is very useful and durable. I use it mainly for raking small 3-6 inch rock into a windrow. Then scoop the rocks up with a bucket.
Being as the tractor is smallish and the use is infrequent I would say you could go for a medium duty or even a lighter duty implement

GL with your projects.

/ landscape rakes? #8  
I bought a used Woods landscape rake...very solid and heavy duty...
I put end plates on it so now I have a "box rake"....prevents windrows from the ends...!

/ landscape rakes? #9  
You would be better off buying an older used rake. In any event they perform 3x better with wheels.
I have to agee with that. 3pt accessories haven't changed much in the last 20 years or more - unless you believe there has been a change in quality of materials and workmanship.
Most of 3pt attachments are simple enough that the average person can do anything needed in an afternoon with hand tools - although it's rarely needed. Name brands seem to have spare parts as needed.

Landscape rakes are a good example. I bought this one used 30 years ago, and it wasn't new at the time. A couple of years ago I ordered some spare parts from Woods & they were all in stock.

This 7 foot Woods is their medium duty rake with decent spring teeth, a flip down grading blade with removeable end caps, two trailing wheels, and is adjustable for angle and height. All the good stuff. You definitely want two trailing wheels. I paid $700 used in the mid 90's.
rScotty

IMG_1524.JPG

/ landscape rakes? #10  
The price of that rake new today would shock you. Heck the wheel kit alone is $600 :oops: