Landscapes

/ Landscapes #71  
Maybe 10 times in my life I've saw a Grouse here. They are a sport bird. Much faster than the Quail. Our State Wildlife Conservation Department has tried for several years to repopulate the Grouse here with limited success.

75 acres of my farm is in the Conservation Reserve Program. Quail love it. Have a 23 acre field next to the buildings. This past Summer had four coveys. Year before had five. I've not saw any Grouse yet.

If your reflexes are good you need to use a modified choke shotgun on Quail cause they'll be a bit too close and a full choke will butcher them. As the hunters get older they convert to full choke because they need the tight pattern at a longer distance to make up for their shortcomings... :)

Here's a pic of our Quail. Second pic is of the Ruffed Grouse.

bobwhite_quail_0129.jpg

ruffed_grouse_on_log_11-16-13.jpg

/ Landscapes
Maybe 10 times in my life I've saw a Grouse here. They are a sport bird. Much faster than the Quail. Our State Wildlife Conservation Department has tried for several years to repopulate the Grouse here with limited success.

75 acres of my farm is in the Conservation Reserve Program. Quail love it. Have a 23 acre field next to the buildings. This past Summer had four coveys. Year before had five. I've not saw any Grouse yet.

If your reflexes are good you need to use a modified choke shotgun on Quail cause they'll be a bit too close and a full choke will butcher them. As the hunters get older they convert to full choke because they need the tight pattern at a longer distance to make up for their shortcomings... :)

Here's a pic of our Quail. Second pic is of the Ruffed Grouse.

View attachment 497682

View attachment 497684
Aren't they pretty!
Do you have Chukar over in the US? I see them on the game bird license but never in the flesh, so to speak. There are a few hunting lodges around that run organized shoots, usually pheasants. Not my cup of tea though. If I'm hunting I'm hunting, if I'm shooting then it's at targets!
I got my skeet guns out of retirement on boxing day and bust a couple of boxes of clays with a friend. Have got a carousel trap with a couple hundred feet of wire to the remote so we took turns. Must say I've forgotten a lot of bad habits. Shot better than I did years ago.. worked out I stopped going to the range about 7 years ago.

/ Landscapes
This isn't a landscape.. but a really big lamb! Had some practice sweating today.
d3447c6e939c17a7750b57cfac295fe6.jpg
have 7 of these big polar bears that were born maybe 3 weeks before the rest.

Attachments

• 20170209_151850.jpg
    20170209_151850.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
   / Landscapes
Here's one for all the other MF 174.4 aficionados out there .
Had a really neat time collecting my back blade. The guy has 4 tractor restoration projects at once!! He'd not long painted the 174. You could tell his pride, and they'd modified it along the way to suit their needs better.
cc1ebb6bc357d06dfa107eaf6dc79340.jpg
8753fe977f70f71b005286423095d327.jpg

Last edited:
   / Landscapes #75  
This isn't a landscape.. but a really big lamb! Had some practice sweating today have 7 of these big polar bears that were born maybe 3 weeks before the rest.

We always hired a guy to shear our sheep. Wish I had pictures of that process. Man that guy was fast and efficient. Had a helper who bundled the wool and tied it using a collapsible wooden box affair. The shearing cutter was ran by a small electric motor and had a long hinged arm system that he would set up in the barn. It was my Brother and I who kept a supply of sheep to them. Good times!!!

/ Landscapes #76  
Couldn't open your last pictures for some reason Pete. Sometimes I load pics and they won't work. Think it's more of a website issue than improperly loaded pics.

/ Landscapes #77  
Almost full moon tonight. Gonna be a cool high teens F temp here tonight. Big warmup coming tomorrow. Gonna try to burn some CRP Saturday. I'll try to remember to take pics. :)

20170209_174204 (1280x720).jpg

/ Landscapes
You made me feel cold! Yes not far from full now, I can feel the weather here is about to change for the worse. Has been warm but I think the next system is not too far off.
I tried to reload those pictures, hopefully they will open this time. Pardon my state of dress (undress). It was about 80 in there, in the sunshine, with pens of lambs out the back.
They had trouble finding their way out, hence the two in the background that came back in the porthole.
Grader blade has been good fun, relearning the art of miniscule height adjustments but it hasn't done too bad. Just need to get the moisture right, as it was way too dry to do much. Found the toplink was handy to fine tune the angle. Could get a halfway in between by shortening it up and lowering the arms more.

/ Landscapes #79  
Great pics Pete!!!! I absolutely love the Masseys!!!! Very well engineered tractors with a lot of subtle features not found on many other brands. That tractor is very well restored for sure!!!

There's another member on here that has a 584 Massey that I "want" also. Financially I hope I don't run across one because I'd be pressured to buy it. I really don't need another tractor, but I really like the Masseys!!!! :)

/ Landscapes #80  
Pete,
I love watching a good sheep shearer do his work. They are amazing and it truly is an art.

Nice picture Richard, was that taken after the sun had set?

In keeping with the title of the thread, I cleaned out the cow pen so the cows could feed without standing in 14" of mud and poop. But I'm sure you don't want to see a picture of that.:laughing:

So here's my landscape picture.
These were taken yesteday.

IMG_4436 (2).JPGIMG_4451.JPGIMG_4453 (2).JPG