Landscapes

/ Landscapes #1  

olPete

Gold Member
Tractor
Same, John Deere
Hello TBN followers.
I found myself in another thread, posting some landscape photos of our local area. Felt bad to the OP there for hijacking and it was suggested I could post some pictures on here, and thought it was a good idea.
I live on a 110 acre farm in Owaka, New Zealand. It's meant to be summer here but the weather is very fickle this season, we have had strong winds, hot days, cool days, and 1.5 inches of rain in the last 24hour period.
Great for pasture growth.
We aim to be running around 150 bull calves and 700 lambs on our property, but with all the growth in the area the livestock market is very expensive yet, so we have cut our silage etc and are waiting on dry weather to hopefully force prices down.
Enough ramble, onto a few pictures.
View attachment 496117
here's a couple of fat lambs to start with.
View attachment 496118
and a bit of ploughing I did last month. Furrow #3 was not running the same as the rest, hence the fairly average job. Man wanted me to go as deep as possible, 9x19 inch furrows
View attachment 496120
here's a month's worth of grass growth, after mowing silage..
View attachment 496121
and this is our winter feed.
20161111_175632.jpg
mowing our silage, lots of clover in the pasture mix

Now I have no idea what you would like to see, I am glad to do requests!

Pete

Last edited:
   / Landscapes #2  
I just looked on the map to find Owaka...looks beautiful. One of the cardio machines I use at the gym has a video course through a national park in NZ, a place I hope to visit one day.

Sounds like quite a herd you'll be running...will keep you busy and outside.

I could only see one of your photos, but looks very green under you loader...do lots of bees come to your clover?

/ Landscapes #3  
I had to look up Owaka too. I've been to Duneden, but that's as far down the coast as I've been. The castle was interesting, but I liked seeing the penguins come out of the surf and walk up the beach the best!!!

Only one of your pics is opening up for me. I'd love to see the others, especially scenery of your land and the area. I've been to New Zealand twice. Once in the 80's the the Aukland area, and then in 99 to the Queensland area.

/ Landscapes
That's interesting. They won't open for me either.. 20161210_115255.jpg

/ Landscapes
That's interesting. They won't open for me either..

/ Landscapes
So I'll try them one at a time...
To answer your questions, I love this area and always have. I grew up not far from here and toured a little as a dairy farmer.. then when the opportunity to purchase a property came up it was an easy sell.
I will try and find some penguin photos, my BIL and I took the can-am on a fishing trip down the coast and I don't think they'd ever seen a Commander before, we had dozens surrounding us!
Here's that plowing picture

Attachments

• 20161208_150109.jpg
    20161208_150109.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 171
   / Landscapes
As you can see, we are very close to the small town of Owaka. We are actually named on Google Earth, search for Leeside Farm and that's us.
0721bea62184795b2e592355c2fb5076.jpg
these lambs were reared by us as they were either triplets or orphans. We were feeding 30.
0745d89252ce1dbf1faaac7aac6cdd6b.jpg

On the OP, there was a photo that opened and several that didn't. The answer to the bee question: yes heaps of bees. I plan to get a few hives going by next year. Although this windy season has been a challenge for most of the beekeepers in NZ.

Attachments

• 20170124_112348.jpg
    20170124_112348.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 129
   / Landscapes #8  
Great pics Pete!!!! Sorry I forgot you in regards to linking this thread to that other thread..... Now I can't even remember what that thread was.

Since the title of this thread is Landscapes I'll post a couple of mine. If that's not okay, just let me know and I'll delete. I just think it's so interesting to see the differences on our little "rock" floating around in space. :)

This is the view to the Southeast at my home property. Not quite as pretty as yours but hey, it's got a rainbow. :)

DSC05469.JPG

Here's that same view in Winter. Our landscape changes dramatically thru the Seasons.

DSC01834.JPG

/ Landscapes #9  
Beautiful pictures thanks so very for sharing. Indeed it looks like OZ

/ Landscapes
Beautiful pictures thanks so very for sharing. Indeed it looks like OZ
Yes I have heard that Tasmania and the South of the south look very similar, other than our native bush is a little different. We get most of our weather come from that direction so it would be likely.
Screenshot_2017-01-24-09-45-03.png