Larger Battery for UTV??

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #11  
Interestingly, I just installed a second battery in my wife's suburban. It only came with one but there was a unused batter try opposite side of the single group 31 so I added another. Again, used welding cables and Tweco soldered / crimped on copper lugs to make the addition.

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #12  
We like larger batteries than stock just like you but just wanted to remind everyone that UTV and ATV have stators with limited outputs. That is we still need to keep whatever battery you have, charged to full. The Polaris we used for the past 5 years couldn't keep lights, hand warmers and battery up, all at the same time. Larger batteries still need to be kept up.
Turn off the amperage eating accessories when not in use. Simple answer.

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #13  
Interestingly, I just installed a second battery in my wife's suburban. It only came with one but there was a unused batter try opposite side of the single group 31 so I added another. Again, used welding cables and Tweco soldered / crimped on copper lugs to make the addition.
Most here may already know this but for those who follow later on:

If you add a 2nd battery to a vehicle, you must use 2 new or nearly new batteries as a matched set. As the old battery begins to fail, it will suck the life out of the new battery. this will leave you in a pinch with 2 dead batteries. It's a pay now or pay more later issue.

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #14  
Thanks, guys....all great answers. One last thought, since the buggy bounces around alot should I spend the extra $$ to get an AGM battery? I plan on putting an AGM in my tractor too....cause it has NO suspension. (Thank heavens for my seat springy thingy. :oops:

Absolutely go largest AGM that will fit. You will love the low maintence, and won't miss the corrosion. And without the corrosion the battery will pass more amps along to the winch as well.

Us old mechanical guys pretty much all use the largest AGM that will fit. Copper welding cables replace the battery cables with crimped and soldered copper connectors to the ends. Good to go.

rScotty

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #15  

If you add a 2nd battery to a vehicle, you must use 2 new or nearly new batteries as a matched set. As the old battery begins to fail, it will suck the life out of the new battery. this will leave you in a pinch with 2 dead batteries. It's a pay now or pay more later issue.

This just happened to me. I am not sure what is going on... here's the story:

Our JD310 loader/backhoe came from the factory with the 2 battery option and it has not been a problem....just replace the batteries in pairs. That's been done three times since 2007. But this last time it didn't work. I replaced the batteries as a pair and they go flat in a month. As singles either battery works fine - but in parallel they don't. Not sure what is happening.

rScotty

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #16  
Thanks, guys....all great answers. One last thought, since the buggy bounces around alot should I spend the extra $$ to get an AGM battery? I plan on putting an AGM in my tractor too....cause it has NO suspension. (Thank heavens for my seat springy thingy. :oops:
Firm believer in AGM battery... Put a ODYSSEY brand in my JEEP... Ran it down so bad (twice) with winch operation the voltage dropped so low JEEP died, took about 15 minutes of rest time and it recovered enough to start jeep, and yes JEEP has 100AMP alternator and could no keep up with winch drain... Twice wife left door partially shut and dome light ran battery down to it was "dead" recovered just fine with long term slow charge... Going on about 6-7 years old now and doing just fine....

Also have Meyers Manx style dune buggy with AGM battery (forgot brand name) but its been in vehicle almost 18 years and still will starts VW motor after sitting for 4-6 months without supplemental charge....

As a side note, if using a lot of winch time, you may also might want to up grade to larger output alternator (if possible) because it is responsible for keeping battery charge up...

Not sold on newer battery technology... To young to determined long term reliability, at least in my mind...

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #17  

Absolutely, in this case 'size matters' and so does available CCA.

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #18  
This just happened to me. I am not sure what is going on... here's the story:

Our JD310 loader/backhoe came from the factory with the 2 battery option and it has not been a problem....just replace the batteries in pairs. That's been done three times since 2007. But this last time it didn't work. I replaced the batteries as a pair and t)hey go flat in a month. As singles either battery works fine - but in parallel they don't. Not sure what is happening.

rScotty
I am no expert but it sounds like something is dragging them down. Alternator going bad or a drain somewhere else? At the least, I guess I would start checking the amperage weekly.

I keep my trachoe and SXS on a battery tender year round so while it is a good idea for everyone, I don't think that solves your issue as it is new. I am always looking for "what changed?" when this stuff starts- hope you can figure it out. I like mechanical issues better,I can see what is going on. Good luck.

/ Larger Battery for UTV?? #19  
One last thing,

I have buying most of my smaller AGM batteries online. I've had good luck with Legend batteries for golf carts, vehicles, RV etc from NAPA.

If you are comparing online, weight is a very good indicator of what is best. More lead = a better battery IMHO.