Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
On this day in 1941, the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, was attacked by Japan.

The bombing killed 2,388 Americans, put much of the Pacific fleet out of commission, and came while the Japanese ambassador in Washington was preparing for a diplomatic appointment at the State Department.

Please take time out to ponder and appreciate what those brave Americans, who fought and gave their lives, did for our country and where we'd be now if they did not.

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #2  
Done.
Bob

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #3  
I am reminded TWICE a year. Once on Dec 7, my brother's birthday, and again on my birthday ... Hiroshima Day. My dad was in the Navy then, but not at Pearl.

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #4  
My uncle died earlier this year. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor. I have read his writings, heard his tales, and always had a deep appreciation for the sacrifices made then by everyone. He was one of the fortunate ones, surviving not only that but a private plane crash years later. Lived to 91.

Makes the decade I spent riding subs and building missiles seem like a vacation.

Phil

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #5  
We have a Pearl Harbor survivor in out church.

It is quite amazing but the number of WWII vets is decreasing rapidly. It won't be long before they are all gone. My grandfather was in WWII. He was a staff officer. I don't think he spent much time in a foxhole, but he went in second wave at Normandy and was in the Bulge. He died of cancer in 1968.

They were a very tough generation. We just have no idea. Which brings me to another rant :eek: (I got a million of 'em :rolleyes: ). But, it really makes me mad :mad: , and sad :( , when I hear people (mostly the media) talk about how tough our terrorist enemies are, how fanatical they are and how we can't win against such an enemy.

Truth is, yes, they are tough. Yes they are fanatical and yes, in many cases they are excellent warriors. But, they have nothing on the Japanese fighting forces in WWII. They were just as tough, just as fanatical, just as willing to die, but on top of all that they were also well organized and superbly trained. I don't think we ever have or ever will face an enemy any tougher than the Japanese. And I think the rhetoric regarding the invincibility of our middle eastern enemies says a lot more about us than it says about or enemy. When we started WWII we had like the 17th largest military in the world, just in front of Argentina. And even though the Japanese were tough and even though it took several years before we started winning against them, I don't think anyone seriously considered that we would lose. Contrast that to our situation now. We have the best equipped and best trained military in the world and we are now, on a daily basis, considering how we might lose this current war and how to weasel out of it.

Well, the WWII generation was great and we should never forget them. But the young men and women in our current military will be just as great. IF we let them. Right now, we're asking them to fight on one foot, blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their back. Shame on us. All out war is the most awful thing on earth. WWII is proof of it. It should not be undertaken except under the direst of circumstances. But knowing when it is time for all out war is something our leaders don't seem to understand and sadly, our fine fighting forces pay the price with their lives and their dignity.

As the OP said, it has been 65 years since we declared war. I think it is time to take the gloves off and do it again......or not at all. But, we might not be the generation that is willing to pay that price. Wonder what they'll call us in 65 years?

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #6  
Contrast that to our situation now. We have the best equiped and best trained military in the world and we are now, on a daily basis considering how we might lose this current war.

They were sent to win against the japan & they did win . My hats off those brave soles !
The men & women that are in this war today are being held back from winning & that's what makes me :mad:

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #7  
I only have one remaining aunt and uncle; my dad's youngest sister and her husband. My uncle was not at Pearl Harbor. He was in the Army a couple of years before that, but had gotten out on a hardship discharge when his father died and left his mother with 3 little girls to raise. But after Pearl Harbor, he re-enlisted, but in the Navy instead of the Army and served until the end of the war. I've been to the hospital this afternoon where he is in the CCU and, in all probability, will not live to Christmas. But at the hospital today, I also met my uncle's Sunday school teacher, an old gentleman who gets around with a cane, but he is a Pearl Harbor survivor, as well as still teaching Sunday school.

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #8  
N80 I respect your post but I have to disagree with parts of it. The japanese were fanatical but against warriors. Pearl Harbor was an attack against the military more than against the civilian population. We did not have japanese agents that came into this country to blow up civilian population centers. That is a major difference. The muslim population that is against the United States do not want to fight a war for territory they want to wipe every non muslim off of the face of the earth. There are no non combatants with these people. If we lose the war against terrorism it will not be because of the actions of our military. It will be because if we accidentally blow up civilians the muslim world rallys against them. But if they blow up military or civilians then the world just says they are doing it because they are mistreated. We try to screen terrorists and we are accused of racial profileing by the world. But to date the majority of terrorists that are bent on our destruction as a race are from a certain religous ethnic group that are the same age group and gender. If we lose against terrorism it will be because we cater to the world instead of doing the right thing.

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #9  
N80 is very accurate about the shape our military was in prior to WWII. Our "leaders" then were telling the servicemen how great our weapons were, and that our equipment was second to none. Well, they found the "none" when they came up against the german army, and their equipment. When I first went to work out of school at a Naval research weapons lab, there was an older fellow who worked there before and during WWII. He said that the US military planners, and weapons designers were wondering if we were going to be able to actually beat those "guys". He meaning of course the germans... and thank goodness the Americans of german decent weren't placed in interment camps....we would have had to lock up almost half the nation then. It took 16 million allied troops, Americans, British, Canadian, Austrialian, and many other nationalities to give their lives to defeat germany, and japan, including japanese Americans who fought mightly in the european theater, and was one of the highest decorated units during WWII. I have a book on that and will try and find it. The russians lost about 20 million troops, and another 25 million civilians to WWII. I invite correction to my totals, and any additional info.

/ Last Time USA Declared War was 65 Years Ago #10  
And we have fallen into the same trap that befell the German military...superior weapons, but too few of them. They said it took five Shermans to defeat a Panther...no problem; we'll send six. Or better yet, a dozen.

Fascination with technology doesn't win wars. Numbers beats technology each and every time.