Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #411  
Think about keyless entry. A coworker has a car that has no key locks on the exterior of the car. How do you get in with no key and the battery in the FOB is dead?

There’s a hidden key in the FOB, but where would you use it?

You have to pull the driver’s side door handle out, hold it out, and find a hidden cap to pry open with the hidden key from the FOB and behind that is an actual lock cylinder that you can use the hidden key to open the door.

NO ONE KNOWS THIS WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP AFTER THE PROBLEM PRESENTS ITSELF.
Yeah, and the whole time all they had to do was look in the glove box for the operators manual... oh, wait... 🤣

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #412  
My summer car has keyless entry and I anticipated the problem right away. The key hidden in the fob opens the trunk where there is a cord to pull to open the driver's door and then put the fob into a small compartment in the console to be able to start and drive. I dislike this feature and was annoyed enough with my 1998 Volvo that had no lock cylinder on the passenger's door so you were forced to use the driver's door to open the car. I hate having the large fob in my pocket.
And all of this was a solution to what problem? The one that they created?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #413  
The new electronic everything has caused a major downgrade in vehicle reliability in the past couple years. Checking the Consumer Reports charts wherein people report on the vehicles they own, electronic problems are far and away the most prominent. I have been wanting to get something more comfortable than my 16 year old Jeep Wrangler, so shopping for either a new Jeep or the new Bronco. The results of my research are scary! Who would want a vehicle meant to be driven far from the beaten path that disables itself when it detects something wrong with the electronics? From one of the Jeep forums - what a message to see on your Jeep's dash display out in the middle of nowhere!
View attachment 758099

And from the new Bronco forum. Guy was very embarrassed - had to be towed out by two Jeeps:
View attachment 758100

In several of the videos posted by Matt's Off-Road Towing and Recovery, they have problems with vehicles that go into limp mode because the electronics cannot recognize that the vehicle is in soft sand. They posted a video just this morning with a Ram pickup that they could not get out of park because the engine would not run - so that rotary dial "shifter" on the dash wouldn't work.

Think I'll stay with my old Jeep. Still a lever to pull the transfer case into 4wd, no dial to let the computer know I am driving on snow or sand or rocks. Dependability to me is still #1.

DesertEagle71,
You know I’d never steer ya wrong. My 2020 Rubicon is rock solid. Not one issue so far (34,000 miles) except a failed stereo unit replaced under warranty.

I can’t blame you for wanting simplicity, but you served our country, and you aint gettin any younger. Now go out and spoil yourself. I recommend the Gladiator for an extra enlightening experience. ;)

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #415  
You mean you do not read and memorize the operator manual prior to driving a car?
Actually I am one of those that read owner/ operator manuals prior to using something. That is becoming more tedious with the ridiculous 30 or so pages of "do put put the bit in you hair and depress trigger" type admonitions. I figure that I am probably in the minority there. 😁

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #416  
Actually I am one of those that read owner/ operator manuals prior to using something. That is becoming more tedious with the ridiculous 30 or so pages of "do put put the bit in you hair and depress trigger" type admonitions. I figure that I am probably in the minority there. 😁
You are a better man than me, IndyJay. I’m asleep after page 10.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #417  
You are a better man than me, IndyJay. I’m asleep after page 10.
Try and remember everything on top of everything else they have made ridiculously complex especially when you won't experience many of those things on a regular basis.

Janet

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #418  
Think about keyless entry. A coworker has a car that has no key locks on the exterior of the car. How do you get in with no key and the battery in the FOB is dead?

There’s a hidden key in the FOB, but where would you use it?

You have to pull the driver’s side door handle out, hold it out, and find a hidden cap to pry open with the hidden key from the FOB and behind that is an actual lock cylinder that you can use the hidden key to open the door.

NO ONE KNOWS THIS WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP AFTER THE PROBLEM PRESENTS ITSELF.
Hubby took me to look at a new Dodge challenger a few years ago. The one in the color I liked had a dead battery. Doors would not Open! Salesman opend trunk had to fold back seat down and climb into front seat to open door.
I laughed and went and sat in the truck. Told Hubby they can keep it!

Janet

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #419  
DesertEagle71,
You know I’d never steer ya wrong. My 2020 Rubicon is rock solid. Not one issue so far (34,000 miles) except a failed stereo unit replaced under warranty.

I can’t blame you for wanting simplicity, but you served our country, and you aint gettin any younger. Now go out and spoil yourself. I recommend the Gladiator for an extra enlightening experience. ;)

If I still lived in Pennsylvania the reliability question wouldn't be a problem. But I drive my old Jeep in some of the most remote and forbidding terrain in the lower 48. In the picture below I am a good 2 hours from the nearest pavement. Even further to the nearest habitation. It is not unusual for me to put 200 miles on the Jeep and not see another vehicle. The roads are two-tracks through the desert - no one is going to send a rollback to get me if I break down. It will be totally up to me to get out of there. And of course, there is no cell service.
P1012916ertbn8-15-22.jpg

There are just too many reports of the electronics (the start-stop system seems to be a major culprit) disabling a new Jeep for me to consider one. Right now I'm looking seriously at a Toyota 4Runner which has a stellar reputation for reliability.