Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #91  
Good story! I disagree on the scalping part though. A 54" will scalp as easily as a 61" and if you are scalping your lawn you are mowing way too low. Mow high, mow often. Jut my opinion though

The mower I own is one of Bad Boys narrower frames. That is why is will scalp on a rough yard with a wide deck. The wider the distance between the front wheels the less likelihood of a mower scalping.

But I agree with you about the mowing high and often. People walk by our house all the time down our quiet road. I have many comments from people about how our yard is the best looking in the neighborhood. When asked I tell them that by June 1st I am mowing as high as the deck will go. Do the same and your yard will look like ours. Then they go home and cut theirs 1" tall.

RSKY

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #92  
Sounds like the guy across the road. Cuts it short as heck, makes cud too. Looks terrible, guess he likes wasting expensive gasoline.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #93  
Everyone wants to get the widest mower they can but fail to realize this. Scalping and you my have to fir between things. My 48in hardly fits in between some things in my yard.
I don't have a big problem with scalping, but like you I have enough obstacles in my yard that any time saved on open spaces will be spent hand-mowing between/around rocks, bushes, wife's flower gardens, etc. In fact, a 42" is about as wide as will fit thru a couple of those spots. A ZTR would be nice for the maneuverability but I don't think anyone makes one that narrow.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #95  
I don't have a big problem with scalping, but like you I have enough obstacles in my yard that any time saved on open spaces will be spent hand-mowing between/around rocks, bushes, wife's flower gardens, etc. In fact, a 42" is about as wide as will fit thru a couple of those spots. A ZTR would be nice for the maneuverability but I don't think anyone makes one that narrow.
Kubota has a 42" deck ZTR.

1696683081148.png

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #96  
I'm renting my neighbors cabin while building my cabin. She asked If I could mow the yard. She has an older Grasshopper ZT. I'm not a fan. It's an older one sans rollbar and not a good feeling on side slopes. Plus you have to keep both hands on even in a straight line. Hard to drink a beer in that situation....I'm kidding.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #97  
I'm renting my neighbors cabin while building my cabin. She asked If I could mow the yard. She has an older Grasshopper ZT. I'm not a fan. It's an older one sans rollbar and not a good feeling on side slopes. Plus you have to keep both hands on even in a straight line. Hard to drink a beer in that situation....I'm kidding.
You just don't have the right equipment. :D

1696686432055.png

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #98  
The mower I own is one of Bad Boys narrower frames. That is why is will scalp on a rough yard with a wide deck. The wider the distance between the front wheels the less likelihood of a mower scalping.

But I agree with you about the mowing high and often. People walk by our house all the time down our quiet road. I have many comments from people about how our yard is the best looking in the neighborhood. When asked I tell them that by June 1st I am mowing as high as the deck will go. Do the same and your yard will look like ours. Then they go home and cut theirs 1" tall.

RSKY

So true about cutting height. I likely don't cut quite that high, but my fescue lawns get cut at 3.75 - 4.00" . Customers are constantly asking that I cut lower, and it drives me crazy. I drew my line in the sand this year with a few lawns at 3.25" - any shorter they can hire someone else.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Intersting twist thrown into the decision yesterday. Turns out not many mowers are made for a 5' tall woman...

The Kubota 400 series has the parking brake at the front of the deck, which even with the seat all the way forward she struggled to press. And of course the armrests interfere with the lap bars if the seat is all the way forward (can't get into neutral/reverse).

Kubota 200 series has a knob/lever for parking brake so that's not an issue. So this is still in the running, though I'm a big concerned about the lower profile tires (22x10-14).

The Cub Cadet ZTS2 has a similar issue - with the seat all the way forward, she struggles to use the 'gas' pedal. So as much as I like the front-wheel steering and the steering wheel vs lap bars, I'm not sure these will work (plus I'd have to buy the ZTXS model sight-unseen).

I do like that the cub cadet with lap bars applies the parking brake when you push the lap bars into neutral (out to the side). it's nice not having an 'extra' step to apply the parking brake, if you're going to be getting off and on to clear out rocks/debris. The 22x12-12 tires seem better for our rougher property.

If I'm going with a standard ZT with lap bars, starting to look at the Gravelly ZT HD-52 as an option. Sadly it doesn't come with ROPS -- I know the Pro Z does and has a lot more to offer, but I think it is outside our price range.