Leaf Vac

/ Leaf Vac #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
I know this has been talked about a bit. Back story for me is we purchased 8 acre wooded lot in the country. Built a house and before we even moved in I bought a commercial grade back pack leaf blower. Which does a good job but its time consuming. WE have our back yard fenced in and I just blow the leaves under some trees where we don't really mow and they sit there for a better part of the summer before they disappear. I use to blow them out of the back yard but thats a lot of fuel to be burning and time consuming. So I have scoured the web looking at leaf vacs for my tractor. It looks like the trac-vac is a nice little unit. Luckily for me they are built in Thorntown IN which is 10 miles from where we live. So when i get home I intend on checking them out. Ill be looking at the one that is pto driven so i don't have another motor to take care of. I don't think its a good idea to have a motor on something your only going to use for a month out of the year maybe a bit more. I talked to the salesmen today and they are priced somewhat reasonably however I will ask for a cash discount as I always do. Anyway i was wondering what some of you thought?

/ Leaf Vac #2  
I have an old Cub Cadet and it's only job is to pull a Trac Vac in the fall. I forget model number, but it is the larger cart one with an 11 hp Briggs mounted on tongue and 8" hose. I traded the smaller model for it to someone that bought it used and didn't like the bigger size. The smaller one had 6" hose and I much much prefer the 8" hose.

I'm right with you on your approach.... large back pack blower and Trac Vac. Works great for me. I pile leaves in woods and rotate the pile every other year and use them for mulch.

A large pto blower would be great too if you had an area that you could just let them pile up.

Check out the leaf vacs on everything attachments website for an eye opener on how expensive a leaf vac can be, makes Trac Vac seem like a deal.

/ Leaf Vac
I did look at those at Everything Attachments and nearly crapped. It looks nice but wow. The salesman at trac vac said to consider 6 inch hose but nothing less. Ill go 8 as u said. Ill also look into the the remote hose and see how much that is. Most likely ill just use the blower as Im sure the remote hose will be priced a bit high for what it actually is. Did the 6" hose get clogged up on you is that why you prefer the 8".

I have an old Cub Cadet and it's only job is to pull a Trac Vac in the fall. I forget model number, but it is the larger cart one with an 11 hp Briggs mounted on tongue and 8" hose. I traded the smaller model for it to someone that bought it used and didn't like the bigger size. The smaller one had 6" hose and I much much prefer the 8" hose.

I'm right with you on your approach.... large back pack blower and Trac Vac. Works great for me. I pile leaves in woods and rotate the pile every other year and use them for mulch.

A large pto blower would be great too if you had an area that you could just let them pile up.

Check out the leaf vacs on everything attachments website for an eye opener on how expensive a leaf vac can be, makes Trac Vac seem like a deal.

/ Leaf Vac #4  
Yes, less clogs with the 8", in part because the "boot" opens up quickly to the 8" with less restriction. With the larger deck and throat opening on your Massey the flow might be better than the small deck on my old Cub....but IMO...8" better.

When you say remote hose, do you mean the "wand" and extra hose to like suck up around beds or confined spaces? If so, one came with mine and never really used it much.

What I do a lot is, pull the "boot" off the mower deck and rake a pile of leaves, gathered up by blower or raked out of some confined space, and rake them directly into the boot to the vac. You will be surprised how large a pile of leaves can be fed directly in boot/chute this way.

Quick story, more than thirty years ago I first saw a Trac Vac my friend inherited. I couldn't believe it. I just got my first credit card at the time and first purchase...was an unassembled Trac Vac for a discount from a farm equipment dealer. Took it to my friends to put together and brought it home while my dad was outside. He looked puzzled at first when I pulled in, saw the leaf free path it left in the yard and then a big smile of approval. It was pretty cool as he was an extremely hard working tough as nails guy to see his smile that this chore just got minimizes!

Over the years I would tell my brother he needs to come try it out etc. and he would decline... just continue to rake, tarp and/or trailer a huge yard. Well, a few years ago I got the original back with a new motor and gave it to him a few years after he retired. Now he can't believe he went without one all those years!

/ Leaf Vac #5  
I have a DR tow-behind. YES to the 8" hose size minimum. Even that tends to clog if you suck up even one little stick.

The leaf vac/chipper is a great back saver. Easy fall clean-up plus great compost. Once you have it, you won't believe you ever did without it.

Once I get the big tractor, will definitely trade it in on a PTO-driven one. Thanks for the link.

/ Leaf Vac
Thats typically how it happens. You do a chore for so long and people mention how easy it is with a certain tool but you decline b/c you think its unnecessary. There theres that time you break down and purchase. Only to have that thought in your mind that tells you "why did you wait so long to purchase this"

On a differenent subject i have been thinking about getting an A frame Quick hitch for my 3 pt. My dad had this setup for his grass seeding business. Made it much easier. Of course in mind right now I'm thinking ah I don't need it but I bet a guy buys that and installs it. He would have DEJA VU.

Here is the site for one Alexander Equipment - -217 Price List -

There is another where you give them the dimensions of everything and it should then work upon delivery.

Yes, less clogs with the 8", in part because the "boot" opens up quickly to the 8" with less restriction. With the larger deck and throat opening on your Massey the flow might be better than the small deck on my old Cub....but IMO...8" better.

When you say remote hose, do you mean the "wand" and extra hose to like suck up around beds or confined spaces? If so, one came with mine and never really used it much.

What I do a lot is, pull the "boot" off the mower deck and rake a pile of leaves, gathered up by blower or raked out of some confined space, and rake them directly into the boot to the vac. You will be surprised how large a pile of leaves can be fed directly in boot/chute this way.

Quick story, more than thirty years ago I first saw a Trac Vac my friend inherited. I couldn't believe it. I just got my first credit card at the time and first purchase...was an unassembled Trac Vac for a discount from a farm equipment dealer. Took it to my friends to put together and brought it home while my dad was outside. He looked puzzled at first when I pulled in, saw the leaf free path it left in the yard and then a big smile of approval. It was pretty cool as he was an extremely hard working tough as nails guy to see his smile that this chore just got minimizes!

Over the years I would tell my brother he needs to come try it out etc. and he would decline... just continue to rake, tarp and/or trailer a huge yard. Well, a few years ago I got the original back with a new motor and gave it to him a few years after he retired. Now he can't believe he went without one all those years!

/ Leaf Vac
I have looked at the DR's as well. It looks to be a solid piece of equipment. I as well plan to compost my leaves for the garden. The reviewers have said that canopy top is a real hassle to put together. My concern would longevity of the tarp. It does have a clever dolly for the motor so you can detach the motor on its dolly and put it away. Plus it serves as a little trailer. ITs also a bit cheaper than the trac-vac. I didn't see a PTO driven one on their website?

I have a DR tow-behind. YES to the 8" hose size minimum. Even that tends to clog if you suck up even one little stick.

The leaf vac/chipper is a great back saver. Easy fall clean-up plus great compost. Once you have it, you won't believe you ever did without it.

Once I get the big tractor, will definitely trade it in on a PTO-driven one. Thanks for the link.

/ Leaf Vac #8  
+1 on the DR leaf vac. Got one a couple of years ago. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle --but not too much-- to put the canopy together, but it does make it so it takes up a LOT less space for storage during the winter & summer.

After I learned to correctly place the flap on the back of the thing (instructions were somewhat unclear here), it works exceptionally well-- so well, in fact, that I drove my tractor 3 miles to brother's place on a lake to help with oak leaf removal. (Delivered the leaf vac by small trailer first.) Amazing job in a really tough situation.

The canopy canvas seems to be quite heavy duty-- no problems yet. With the dolly wheels, the engine gets separated and rolled into garage; canopy gets folded up and put upstairs in garage; trailer gets left outside in dump position.

DSC05427.JPG

/ Leaf Vac #9  
I think the number of PTO driven units is limited - Trac Vac may be the only moderately priced one. I think they all work reasonably well. I have the Cyclone Rake. It's a little more expensive and a little higher quality build. It also has the advantage of folding up and hanging on a wall. Cyclone Rake and I think the DR are solid mount instead of the trailer mount like the Trac Vac. There are pluses and minuses to both systems. I have the remote suction tube and use it quite a bit. Be aware that unless you pick up with the mower deck, you don't get much leaf shredding on these units. Leaves go right through the blower. Good Luck. These are great tools.

/ Leaf Vac #10  
I think the number of PTO driven units is limited - Trac Vac may be the only moderately priced one. I think they all work reasonably well. I have the Cyclone Rake. It's a little more expensive and a little higher quality build. It also has the advantage of folding up and hanging on a wall. Cyclone Rake and I think the DR are solid mount instead of the trailer mount like the Trac Vac. There are pluses and minuses to both systems. I have the remote suction tube and use it quite a bit. Be aware that unless you pick up with the mower deck, you don't get much leaf shredding on these units. Leaves go right through the blower. Good Luck. These are great tools.

The DR has a shredder also. If you pick up leaves with the accessory hose, they get shredded quite well. If you pick up the leaves with the mower, they get shredded twice. I remember from shopping that some other units did not include a shredder. This was important as the bulk of pickup is from areas that can't be mowed, and I wanted them shredded for compost. With 12 acres of trees, reducing the volume is important as it reduces trips to empty the unit.

Agree the DR is a solid unit. Raking is probably the WORST thing for my back and it basically eliminates that. The engine has been very reliable, no quirks, but loud. Seems to have no problem "digesting" the inevitable rocks it picks up. The hoses are quite sturdy. The boot didn't fit my tractor very well and the "hose clamps" are a pain. Would like to find a more quick-release version of those. These units are very heavy when full and you need a strong machine to pull it up a hill.