Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #21  
I will be using my mulch from the leaves to put around my fruit trees this fall. That with fertilizer and lime. cheaper than tree bark.

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #22  
Dumping my Cyclone Rake is pretty easy. I usually just tilt it up and drive forward. Occasionally I shake the sides to dump it if it's a little wet. Again the secret is to not overfill it. If you pack it full, it will take a little hand clearing to get it to flow out. I end up with rows of mulched leaves. I come back with the loader and create the compost pile.

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #23  
I will be using my mulch from the leaves to put around my fruit trees this fall. That with fertilizer and lime. cheaper than tree bark.

Yes I do the same thing - I dump the trac vac 1 yard each, then after 5-6 yards/dumps I spread it out with the FEL and spread a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer then mix up into the annual pile - it breaks down to nice compost by the next season.

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #24  
I skipped ahead but after trying a trac vac and a cyclone rake, and a triple bagger, my current set up is dump from seat boxes made by Peco.
On Dixie Choppers ( which are rated to tow 200 lbs btw).
We have two. A 60” and a 48”.

One box has a belt drive system connected to the deck.
The other has the pony engine vacuum setup with the larger hoses.
Both are back up to the pile and pull a lever to dump a pivot box.
I was going to mount a actuator cylinder to dump the first one but never had to. My wife uses it with ease.
We mow 6 acres or so with about 50 trees including maples, beech, birch, and oak. A lot of leaves.

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #25  
I bought a Agrifab tow behind bagger. Tractor Supply had it sitting out front for years. The model number no longer was listed in their computer and I had a 10% off coupon. It's not the one with a soft top and I would guess it weighs well over 100 lbs empty. If weight was a problem (my Deere pulls it fine) I would replace the axle on it. The tires are pretty small and the wheel bearings are probably bushings. An axle from a road legal trailer with the 4.80x8 tires would be much easier to pull.

Like you I have a LOT of hardwoods. I would spend time trying to mulch it in the past and blowing them off of my yard and into the woods with poor to ok results. Often it would make a mess. If wind was blowing I would fight it. It's one thing if you are retired and can pick which day(s) to do it but for those of us who work we are limited.

The lawn vac sucks up everything and the mower deck partially mulches them. Being broken down means they are packed pretty tightly into the trailer. It wouldn't surprise me if it added an extra 100 lbs or more when close to full. I can't answer the part about pulling it with a ZTM. The con is that it's a low frequency hum that even hearing protection doesn't completely cancel out. Some people complained about the vinyl coated fabric where the output chute goes into the trailer not lasting long but if mine ever wears out I'll find a better solution. Over all I'm happy with the performance.

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #26  
I skipped ahead but after trying a trac vac and a cyclone rake, and a triple bagger, my current set up is dump from seat boxes made by Peco.
On Dixie Choppers ( which are rated to tow 200 lbs btw).
We have two. A 60” and a 48”.

One box has a belt drive system connected to the deck.
The other has the pony engine vacuum setup with the larger hoses.
Both are back up to the pile and pull a lever to dump a pivot box.
I was going to mount a actuator cylinder to dump the first one but never had to. My wife uses it with ease.
We mow 6 acres or so with about 50 trees including maples, beech, birch, and oak. A lot of leaves.
It's very decent, gratz!

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #27  
After doing the zero turn / trac vac option for years I finally went the mounted dump from seat option.

I can tell you I will never go back!

TracVac never emptied right doing leaves and had to be pitch forked out.

Now I just mow then dump, rinse and repeat until done!

IMG_5512.jpg
Even added a light to finish the yard in the fall when I get home to late and daylight has ended

IMG_5656.jpg

/ Leaf Vacuum options if you have utility tractor and zero turn mower #28  
So a while back I bought a tractor, one specifically NOT intended to mow my lawn. Too big, too heavy, the R4 tires will tear it up the lawn if used too much, and it compresses the soil.
I try to keep it off the lawn except for occasional things like distributing mulch, raking garden plots, that sort of thing. My yard is also a bit of a maze in places.

For 11 years I've had yard services cut the grass, they all use zero turn mowers. And I've reached the limit of my willingness to pay for these services, so I'm buying a ZTR. Probably either a Kubota Z400 series, or an eXmark Radius series.

So, let's talk leaf vacs. As I am progressively firing the various services I used to hire out around my house, it may be more difficult to get them to come for things like leaf cleanup, and there's nothing (yard-wise) that I hate more than leaf cleanup. (Unlike mowing, I like mowing just fine). Even on a small yard, herding leaves with a blower onto a tarp and hauling them off, ugh. I'm also getting older, lazier, and generally more decrepit, so give me a tool!

With all this new zero turn mower and tractor equipment, I'm thinking I may as well pony up the dough for a leaf vacuum of some sort, like a Trac Vac or a Cyclone Rake. Here's how I see my options, and the concerns that go with them that I'm hoping you can advise on. First, what I ruled out: bagging system that attaches to the rear of the mower. Maybe it's great for grass, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more filling and emptying cycles than I like for my yard full of maple trees that borders hundreds of acres of forest.

1. Get a trailer type vacuum that is designed for leaves, and pull it behind the ZTR. Only ... I'm not sure the Kubota Z400 or eXmark Radius are a good idea with a bigger leaf vac. Certainly there are the warnings about overloading the hydraulics on these mowers. Opinions? The Z400 has a kind of cheesy "hitch plate" to which appropriately designed things are meant to be attached, I guess, but I can't find specific towing specs for it.

2. Use the mower or blower to blow the leaves away from the numerous contoured places I have to ride (house, gardens, stone walls), then ride in with my tractor (with some vacuum, PTO powered?) to suck up big the resulting semi-piles of leaves, away from the contoured or weight-sensitive places.

3. <other?> - preferably easy and quick as possible, not hours of pushing leaves around with blowers, raking them into containers, then using some mostly manual process to dump them into compost piles.

Ideally I'd be looking at a solution under $2k, but if it makes my life substantially easier and lasts a long time, more can be justified compared to the $600+/yr I spend on normal fall cleanup with a service (not including the $600/month they want to charge me now for mowing). Is it me, or has there been a crazy-high cost escalation in paying guys to mow grass and wield string trimmers in recent years? Maybe it's just not compatible with childhood memories of mowing the neighbor's yards for $2 a mow, times change.

Mowed our church property in NJ with a Scag ZTR with lots of mature oak trees. I just ran it discharging inward until it about choked down. Reversed for one turn. Then turned around and did same thing again. Leaves got chopped up fine enough not to matter. They do not acidify the soil.

Ralph