Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #151  
Then you haven’t backed anything but a flat bed or small boat trailer. Slap a camper on behind you or back a semi trailer without the ability to turn around and look out the back. You won’t use that method again. I guess what we are all missing is are you backing on roads you can’t see the traffic behind you. In that case, don’t get into that position to start with. The next I will add to my last post is, don’t even attempt a curve until you can back straight. Curves can definitely be done with mirrors but try to make the road as straight as you can. In other words, put the tire on your drivers side on the inside of the first curve and as soon as you start around it, start catching up to the trailer. This is where you would use the other mirror. Put the right side trailer tire right on the edge of the road. You can see that in your mirror. There is Mitch more to curves than this but you don’t need to worry about that until you know what happens to correct a trailer backing in a straight line. Once that becomes second nature you are ready for a curve. It’s easier than you think. Try to always start backing using your side, side (drivers) mirror if possible.
Like this?
new camper moving.jpg
rangertows768.jpg

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #152  
I should add that some people grew up in Ag and was backing up trailers long before they had a drivers license. Not to be confused with an expert. 😁:LOL:😁:ROFLMAO:

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #153  
You do know an "Expert" is a drip under pressure...:LOL:

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #154  
I used to haul beer for a company that hauled for Budweiser. I drove local so I was always backing into places. There was a road driver from another company that was trying for the sixth time to back into a dock. One of the spotters pulled up next to me and said it will probably take that driver at least three more times and asked if we could sell tickets to the "Show". Road drivers never seem to learn the "Tricks" to yard work or operating in ice covered yards, unless they started in the yard.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #155  
I used to haul beer for a company that hauled for Budweiser. I drove local so I was always backing into places. There was a road driver from another company that was trying for the sixth time to back into a dock. One of the spotters pulled up next to me and said it will probably take that driver at least three more times and asked if we could sell tickets to the "Show". Road drivers never seem to learn the "Tricks" to yard work or operating in ice covered yards, unless they started in the yard.
I probably should leave this one alone!
I didn't start in a yard, pretty much got thrown into it after 80 miles of Interstate driving, due to my trainer not showing up. We were hauling USPS and it had to go. Boss handed me the keys and told me to be careful! I backed into the dock at the post office in Orlando and hit it the first try. The clerk knew the day before was my first day, so he asked me where my trainer was. I told him he didn't show. The clerk didn't believe me, and walked out and checked the truck to make sure he wasn't still in the truck. I guess I got lucky, because after they told me it was hard, the next day I couldn't buy a spot at that dock! I got better with practice, and 10 years later I took a job in a yard, spotting trailers, and didn't make a fool of myself at it.
David from jax

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #156  
No, a backup camera is not paramount. It makes it easier, but people have towed trailer for decades before backup cameras existed. I have several trailers. One of my trucks is a 2005 F-350 dually, crew cab long bed. It has no backup camera, and yet I can back up to the trailer and very nearly put the ball under the hitch almost every time. Keep in mind the you'll be able to move the trailer tongue a little bit just by yanking on it; there is a little leeway. In my opinion, backing up to a hitch without a camera is also a skill. You can use certain features of your truck and trailer to sort of "gun sight" in the hitch. So many skills are being lost due to technology, I understand the easiness but its also a shame.
I’d like to see you yank on a trailer with a skidsteer or an 8320 JD loaded. I’m 68 and I’ve been doing this a long time. You have your opinion and I have mine. State yours but don’t put mine down!!!

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #157  
I own 5 different trailers. Keeping a trailer straight is actually the hardest part. The trailer will naturally turn one way or the other. Controlling or forcing this turning is where beginners fail. A thing I do to that helps me keep my trailers straight is use a feature on the trailer that is approx the width of the tow vehicle. Find a feature that allows.you to judge how straight the trailer is. I keep that feature in line with my tow vehicle and it's easier to judge when things are starting to get missalighned (I use mirrors). My utility trailer, its the sides. My Jon boat its the fenders. My snowmobile trlr, it's the tires underneath. Learn to keep the trailer straight, and turning shouldn't be difficult. For turning, just allow the trailer to turn naturally once you 'bump' it in the direction you want it to go. But you control how sharp it turns. Small inputs is all it takes. Don't over compensate. Just watch how you trailer reacts. If things go aray, just pull up enough to get it back in control. A trailer can get turned to a point where no amount of input will bring it back. Pull up a just enough to bring it back into compliance. I gringe watching videos when people get a little out of sorts and pull all the way up to start their mistakes all over. As mentioned, u haul trailers are a great option. They are fairly easy to control. Don't get a small one though. And also mentioned, an empty lot with lines to use as referance marks is a great idea. Or put markers down for referance. Start with a plan, and start the trailer in best possible position for execution.

Now for a little bragging. A few years ago, I had to evacuate my daughter from Florida during a hurricane. I hooked my 10x5 utility trailer to haul her and her motorcycle out. When we got to a hotel in Geogia at 3:00 am, there were only 2 open spots left. (Side by side). My daughter was not going to allow me park her bike any where else, out of sight. So I backed into that double space, allowing the trailer to jack knife into the adjacent space on my blind side. I did get out a few times to verify I wasn't going to crimp my trailer into my bumper. I quickly learned I could bring the trailer all the way around and the deck would hit my tire before my tongue would hit my bumper. That's how far I was jack knifing the trailer into that double space. Wish I still had the pictures to post. After a week at the hotel, I got good at parking this way. So much so, that when we were ready leave and load the bike back up. I jacked knife the trailer 90 degrees up against a side walk curb becasue the curb was level with my tilt deck. I got square and less than an inch with a few adjustments.
Another time when renting a Uhaul 6x16 we were moving my daughter and she said we had to unload in a parking garage. Part of me was almost looking forward to having to back down a few levels to get out of the garage. My disappointment when we pulled into this huge loading dock area. Cocky, I know. But in theory, if you can pull in. You can back out.

Last edited:
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #158  
We had our transfer drivers invert there trailer if there was limited space. Since they have two pivot points you can have the trailer next to the truck and parallel.

Last edited:
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #159  
This is one area that once again proves, there is no substitute for experience.

Practice is the only way you are going to get good at it.

If you are really green, I strongly suggest you have a knowledgeable spotter so you don't damage your trailer, or your towing vehicle. It takes a while to realize where you can get in trouble, jack knifing, or backing into things.

To test the theroy that it's easier to learn things, when you are young, I started teaching my Great Granddaughter to back up a trailer at 8 years old. We started out using a mower, and a lawn cart. If it's true, she should be real good at it by the time she gets her drivers license.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #160  
If you have a garden tractor or a compact one, could you practice with that? I find backing with our atv to be much easier than a truck. Point is to practice with something that is easier. View attachment 788197
Right, but that atv costs more than my truck! ;)

And, with a short wheelbase on my CanAm 330 and a log splitter with no 'steering wheel' to 'center' your hand on . . .

But the idea of getting off the public highways to practice is highly recommended. I taught one of my wives to drive stick on the college parking lot (old WWII Airstrip) and my present wife tells me her Dad taught her that way, too.

Some parking lots have nice sharp painted lines - all equidistant one from the other. Sundays are better unless it's a church parking lot. Do not ask permission - if you do and the "askee" is sharp, he/she will refuse to avoid liability.

Take a spotter and a pair of walkie talkies to maintain communications (so your spotter get stay way clear of your amateur self! ;) when things go awry.