Learning hydraulic basics

/ Learning hydraulic basics #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have worked with hydraulic equipment all my life. I thought I had a handle on the basics. I learned how to trouble shoot and repair most of the equipment I worked with. I knew enough about those systems to know there was a lot I didnt know about them. The old equipment was pretty simple, engine, pump, control valve, cylinder or motor, Not that hard to figure out. This new stuff will really make you scratch your head. Since I have been laid up from a torn rotator cuff repair for the last few weeks, I aint had much better things to do than watch TV and play on the Computer. While watching tons of youtube videos, I ran across this site that does a pretty good job of teaching some of the basics of hydraulic systems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bac__zSlZlk&list=PL68FA436463CE454D. There are 31 videos in this series and I thought some of you might enjoy/benefit from seeing them.

/ Learning hydraulic basics #2  
I have watched several of that series in the past, they are very informative.

/ Learning hydraulic basics #3  
I dotn have the time to sit and watch all the videos, but do any of them cover the one topic that "one" topic that comes up alot and always mis-understood. The one about cylinder drift?

/ Learning hydraulic basics #4  
I dotn have the time to sit and watch all the videos, but do any of them cover the one topic that "one" topic that comes up alot and always mis-understood. The one about cylinder drift?

I have only seen a few, but one was a very good explanation of regen and how it works.

/ Learning hydraulic basics #5  
I have only seen a few, but one was a very good explanation of regen and how it works.

Thats something that I am sure quite a few here dont understand. But rarely the source of a 8-page long debate:laughing:

/ Learning hydraulic basics

I havent watched all the videos yet but one video does talk about cylinder drop and vacuum. I believe it is brought up several times how a cyl under load can fall even if one port is blocked.

/ Learning hydraulic basics #7  
Wow, thanks for sharing. Something for a retiree to watch on a rainy day.

I have finally finished watching all 31 videos. Some I have watched more than once. One thing I have found out is the electric hydraulics is going to take me some time to figure out.

/ Learning hydraulic basics #9  
I have finally finished watching all 31 videos. Some I have watched more than once. One thing I have found out is the electric hydraulics is going to take me some time to figure out.

Its overwhelming if you dont deal with hydraulics everyday. And alot of the stuff is way beyond what is used on ag equipment.

In an industrial setting, we see that stuff all the time. Understanding complex hydraulics is just as tough as electronics, schematics and ladder diagrams.

I have fooled with complicated, computer operated hydraulics for a lot of years. After a while, when something goes wrong, you just know what it is. Also, most of the computer systems self diagnose, something aint working right, just pull it up on the screen, still aint sure, look in the manual, that always seems to get lost. Actually, I dont think its as complicated as the youtube lectures make it out to be. What drives me batty is all the symbols and trying to figure out what this switch or that switch is. Once I figure out what the symbol means, I can usually lay my hand on it or find it on the equipment.