LEATHERMAN tools

/ LEATHERMAN tools #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I have a Folding BUCK Knife: Hunter 110 - I love it, and use it several times daily. That frequency actually surprises me.

Though I have never previously considered this, I'm now thinking that a LEATHERMAN tool might be a nice addition to my daily pocket tools. I just have no idea what kind / model of Leathernan tool I should consider ... there are SO MANY options, it could be as difficult as buying your first tractor. :) What are the priority features on the leatherman tool, for general purpose while working around the property ?

Thoughts appreciated.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #2  
For years I considered getting one, but figured I always had my pocket knife (usually a Buck). Then about 10 years ago, I bought a Leatherman Wave for my dad. He never used it, so he gave it to me. Turns out to be the best gift I ever bought someone else.Quality is top notch.

I have it with me everyday I am working around the homestead. It has been invaluable to have on my hip so I do not need to go back to the barn or house for any number of small tasks that come up unexpectedly.

IMO, the plier function is key vs. some that have a scissor as the main tool (although I never thought I would use it), but I strongly recommend getting one that has a spring to return to open as mine does not. Would definitely be a bonus. Other than that, I have used every tool included on my Wave and have yet to think I need something more than what the Wave has. Mine is in the black finish which I prefer along with a nylon case. Really only individual preference matters. Good luck!

/ LEATHERMAN tools #5  
I've had mine so long that I don't remember themodel. It is stainless with the black leather case....one of the more simple models. Like others have said, the pliers are most handy along with the knife and screwdrivers.

I don't "wear it" all the time, just in certain places. My daily knife depends on whether i am "dressed up" (small Buck lock back), working outdoors (larger single bladed knife) or somehere in between..(the Leatherman or my "Uncle Henry") I guess you could say that it is sorta like deciding what seed cap to put on when heading out. :unsure:....could make one late getting there.

Cheers,
Mike

/ LEATHERMAN tools #6  
True story,

I'm a retired operator of a nuclear power plant. Many years ago the plant bought every operator a Leatherman tool. The side cutters at the base of the needle nose pliers were what was most frequently used to cut the zip ties holding worker protection tags from equipment when restoring to service.

One day, an operator was removing a worker protection tag from the inside of a breaker box. He was not careful and when he inserted the pliers to cut the zip tie, the tip of the pliers contacted an adjacent breaker and popped it open. This resulted in an alarm in the Control Room! As you can imagine, not a good thing in the nuclear power plant.

All operator were told just to take the Leatherman's home and they were provided with appropriately sized side cutters! (LOL)

/ LEATHERMAN tools #7  
I have Leatherman combo kept mostly in pickup sure comes in handy, I carry Oldtimer small pocketknife for years and blades are getting thin.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #8  
I have two multi-tools. Leatherman and Victorinox. I don't carry either. One is in my truck - the other is on my tractor. I carry a folding Benchmade. Both multi-tools have - pliers, knife, saw blade and associated tools. Seldom used but there and handy when needed.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #9  
I have a couple of different Leatherman models, the original, and I think the smaller version of the original. Anyway, I found I actually liked the Gerber version better. You don't have to unfold it and flip it around to use the pliers or the other tools in the blade locations in the handle (like you do with the Leatherman). Much handier to be able to get it into action with just one hand, while holding something else together with your other hand (wires, zip ties, etc).

But it's been years since I carried any of them on me. If I'm out on a service call for work, I have an electrician's tool belt with bags on both sides that I'm carrying with me. If I'm at home, the garage is packed with tools.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #10  
I have a Wave and Pulse. Agree...."Seldom used but there and handy when needed."