LED lights and radio question?

/ LED lights and radio question? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I installed a pair of 4' led light fixtures a week ago. I plug in the radio I keep in the barn and it really messes up the signal. Makes the radio very scratchy sounding. Turn off lights and radio works fine. Is there something I can use to keep the radio working while the lights are on? I did not know that the leds would cause such a problem. Thanks. :confused2:

/ LED lights and radio question? #2  
Not all LED lamps are created equal.

Mom had a small lamp near the TV and she noticed her favorite station would not come in at night... it was the LED lamp causing problems... switched out the bulb for a CREE and no more problem

/ LED lights and radio question? #3  
External antenna?

/ LED lights and radio question? #4  
Better bulb. There is a reason some led bulbs are so cheap
Cam

/ LED lights and radio question? #5  
LED bulbs are DC and your house is AC. Each bulb (typically) transforms the power and actually cycles the DC to provide the proper brightness. If the little transformer isn't shielded properly (and it may not given the small size they have to work in) it will give off enough RF to cause the interference.

Looks like all I did was restate the posts above this one..... Haha

/ LED lights and radio question? #7  
Obviously there are measures you could try if you are electronic savvy. Like some .01 600 volt rated disc ceramics across the AC line right at the input. Or some RF chokes in series with the lines, although at broadcast band frequency's of 530 khz to 1710Khz you are talking about some fair sized ones. If none of this makes any sense... then this is not a solution for you

/ LED lights and radio question? #8  
Obviously there are measures you could try if you are electronic savvy. Like some .01 600 volt rated disc ceramics across the AC line right at the input. Or some RF chokes in series with the lines, although at broadcast band frequency's of 530 khz to 1710Khz you are talking about some fair sized ones. If none of this makes any sense... then this is not a solution for you

You beat me to it!! 😉 would snap on ferrites help... rolling the AC lead into a loop and putting a couple of them on.. or no point at that freq?

/ LED lights and radio question? #9  
I guess the same go's for fluorescent lights, I have the same situation in my shop.

/ LED lights and radio question? #10  
I guess the same go's for fluorescent lights, I have the same situation in my shop.
Yes, and you can get better quieter starters for them too, which help a lot.