LED Tractor Lighting

/ LED Tractor Lighting #11  
I'm another vote for cheap ebay lights. I bought a pair (USA) only to see "made in China" on it. The die cast body & hardware & const. was close to exactly the same as the 80% cheaper ebay lights. I went into it with the "disposable" mindset and have not have one fail yet!

/ LED Tractor Lighting #12  
Speaking from experience, there is a huge difference in light output depending on the quality/price of the LEDs your buying. That being said, you don't need the expensive LEDs for every application. On my truck I have quality name brand LED fog lights, as I need the LED to project a long ways ahead of me. For my backhoe, I don't need that kind of projection. I've found for the most part, the cheap LED's still provide lots of light at a closer range.

I purchased these from amazon to install on the back of my backhoe and they do a great job.
Lightfox 2Pcs 4Inch 18W Flood Cree LED Light Bar Offroad Pods Lights 4wd LED Driving Lamp Work Light Bulb Fog Lights for Truck Pickup Jeep SUV ATV UTV Waterproof, 1 Year Warranty: Amazon.ca: Automotive

Here's a picture of them on
20171210_172527.jpg

/ LED Tractor Lighting #13  
Agree, for what they charge for the Rigid Industries D2 lights, you can replace the lower cost ones every year and still be way ahead. I don’t do that much after dark on tractors or Polaris Ranger.

/ LED Tractor Lighting #14  
I always recommend Rigid Industries LED's also. They are pricey but you won't be disappointed. I would rather do it right the first time than do it wrong over and over with cheap imitations that just don't compare.

/ LED Tractor Lighting #15  
I get all my lighting at The Trailer Shoppe in Leola PA. All the work lights are flood pattern. Most are Maxxima and none have failed since I built the cab in 2012. My L3200 won't do 70 MPH, so there's no reason for spots. I want a wide pattern that does a good job of illuminating anything I need to see within maybe 50 feet or so. As I stated on another light discussion, the LED's don't seem to provide the definition that the old halogens did when it comes to seeing the cut/uncut grass at night. And again, they throw annoyingly bright light way beyond the lit area. I was standing on a hill about 25 yards away from the tractor for the second photo and it was unpleasant to look at the small sidelight (bright spot at rear of tractor). I believe this is common for LED's, since I noticed the same effect from aftermarket lights on many of the SUV's that local "offroad pretenders" seem to be going to.

The first, third and fourth pictures are a pretty accurate depiction of what it really looks like. There's no dark area in front or behind the tractor as the second picture would have you believe. The second picture doesn't do them justice - I'm guessing the sensor on my cell phone hastened the exposure to make it look darker around the tractor than it is in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Rear Lites.jpg
    Rear Lites.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Front Lites.jpg
    Front Lites.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
   / LED Tractor Lighting #16  
Last edited:
   / LED Tractor Lighting #17  
I always recommend Rigid Industries LED's also. They are pricey but you won't be disappointed. I would rather do it right the first time than do it wrong over and over with cheap imitations that just don't compare.

That's just it. 3 years ago I was setting up a tractor and decided to try out the LED's rather than my favorite 'HELLA' dual bulb Halogen's for work lights. I picked up some expensive ECCO brand lights, a trusted name to me (a big player in truck equipment, Boise ID). I also had 2 ebay-China lights coming soon. They were both sq body 24 watt LED's and I put them on a bench hooked to a battery. Both were same shape & wattage and although not identical, it took a lot of looking to spot a minor difference (externally). The light & pattern produced was the same. They both were made in China and I returned the expensive ECCO brand. I have 4 on the tractor and have not replaced one of them and they get aprox. 110 hours of use per year just in the winter. (3 years of use)
I'm right with you on do it once & do it right but (sadly) it seems It's all made in China and by cutting out the middleman that put's the same light in a better box and charges 3-4 time the amount for the same thing....... I have 2 spare 48w lights sitting on a shelf for a back up. They have not been needed and iirc that's only about a $20 (cost of them) insurance policy.

/ LED Tractor Lighting #18  
Rigid LED's are 100% Made in USA. That was definitely a factor in my decision to go with them over others also.

/ LED Tractor Lighting
James, your avatar picture shows a cab tractor. I've seen reports here on TBN that LED lights that are not CREE have caused radio interference problems. One more thing to consider, ugh.

I know for a fact they interfere with my auto door opener, the first time I tried to open the door with the remote opener in the cab and with my lights on, (cheap led from Princess Auto) the door would not open, shutting the lights and the door opened, these cheap lights are very bright, 1875 lumens each, and provide good lighting over the blower, but I would like more distance in the front, I believe two wide angle, which is what I have along with two spot would help, in front I have two Led and two original Kubota lights, you can definitely see the difference, not to mention the yellow tint to the originals, my main concern is the short distance, 150' or so, that the Led lights illuminate, but the Leds have no dark areas within the distance they can cover. I was thinking that they don't interfere with the radio, but, I always play Country CDs when I use the tractor, I'll have to try the radio and let you know, my lights are not CREE, hope someone who knows comments. God bless, Jim

/ LED Tractor Lighting #20  
It doesn稚 matter in the LEDs are CREE, SMD or some other cheep Chinese brand, they will all cause radio interference. The device must be shielded in order to prevent radio interference. I致e had several CREE and SMD devices and bulbs, and as soon as they turn on, the radio goes dead. My Dewalt flashlight is very high power, but it痴 shielded and causes no interference.