Lenar 274-1 Starter removal

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal
thanks everyone for all your help. I was able to get it on by shaving/grinding 3/16 of the hydraulic pump rear. Now I find I must have a wiring issue since the starter doesn't do anything unless I use a charger. wish I had a wiring diagram. Bought this tractor with wires taken off and alittle rough.

Hey Tommy,
didn't get it from you. I already ordered it when you chimed in. If I knew I could get it from you would have done that. If this thing cranks/starts I will be ordering things to get this up to snuff. Your suggestion worked and got it to drop in. Now I need to figure out the wiring since it doesn't do anything so either I got it wired wrong or I need to do some re-wiring and maybe new switch and fuse block. That thing is gnarly. texan bill

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal #12  
The wiring is pretty simple, you have the Large Cable/ wire from the battery, the little wire goes on the solenoid, if it does not do anything you may have put it on the wrong small post on the solenoid

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
www.affordabletractorsalesco.com
979-865-4002

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal
I had it all setup right. I put the charger on the new battery and set at 50 amp engine start and that got the starter to engage enough to spin the flywheel. Not sure the starter fully engaged the fly wheel...but engine fired up after a few rounds which was cool after sitting in a former owners pasture for 3 years. I think it has a wiring issue/dead short somewhere like switch. Just notices the switch looks like someone had tried to use a screwdriver to starter in lieu of key. Key wont stay and i bet there is a short in it. Will replace switch, replace fuse block and install starter relay.

There are 2 while wires loose and not sure where they go but suspecting fuse block since two posts are lacking wires and showing previous wire carnage. These are only 2 wires that are not connected but will try to trace them back somewhere.

Since it fired up like it was a new tractor and no smoke I will put some money in this tractor. It also needs:
-hydraulic line from pump to back of tractor has a line that is leaking slightly. strange to see it as a soft line.
-small leak at the steering hydraulic box
-cooling fan was seized. Not sure if it is a clearance issue or water pump
-several hydraulic lines sun roasted on FEL
-Might add ground strap to make sure a good ground.
-do full service on oils and filters
-after all this will look at trying to fix 4wd shaft. it is missing. owner took it out after making a noise. my guess is coupling or pin severed. didnt have the old shaft.

Texan Bill

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal #14  
Mine would do the same thing, it wouldn’t turn over without a jump pack or jumper cables hooked up. It also would not charge the battery. I just ground the rust and old paint off of the main ground connection on the frame. I’ve had to do it pretty much once a year, but it does take care of the problem.

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal #15  
Mine would do the same thing, it wouldn’t turn over without a jump pack or jumper cables hooked up. It also would not charge the battery. I just ground the rust and old paint off of the main ground connection on the frame. I’ve had to do it pretty much once a year, but it does take care of the problem.
If you coat that connection with dielectric grease or spray with battery terminal protector, it wouldn't have to be an annual chore.

/ Lenar 274-1 Starter removal #16  
If you coat that connection with dielectric grease or spray with battery terminal protector, it wouldn't have to be an annual chore.
Might be to late answer for you, but if others have the same challenges I posted a picture of my starter on Lenar 254II
I have to change the starter after 16 years (not bad lifetime) and had to remove a nut from the hydraulic pump to fitt the new back in. Took about one hour to remove and refit the starter.

20220403_161633.jpg

Attachments

• 20220403_164144.jpg
    20220403_164144.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97