Let's go over air compressors...

/ Let's go over air compressors... #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife about blew a gasket 20 years ago when I bought a 20-gal Campbell Hausfield compressor and some items. I then got her a pneumatic finish nailer and she did an about face, she LOVES her nail gun.

Compressor (oil-less) finally died. Bought another (oiled) but, still 20 gallons.

She's since, taken to air spraying some cabinets, I've air sprayed the fenders on tractor. The 20 gal "does the job" however, it's kind of out of its league in my mind as you have to start, stop.....start.....stop...

So I'm looking at getting another, larger.

The air sprayer would probably be the highest continuous use although I have a 1/2" impact that I'll pull out in a heartbeat.

I might add, I've got a 2nd panel in garage and plenty of open slots so getting a 220 isn't an issue.

I'm intrigued on getting a 2-stage verses single. Having never used one, my initial thoughts are that a single stage with two cylinders, on an 80 gallon tank.... might still take a while to refill whereas, (my understanding is) the 2-stage might keep up with demand better.

Now, to be fair & honest, in a practical sense, my current single cylinder, 20 gallon has sufficed for 20 years except for the times we sprayed and maybe also, when I used the small (2" I think?) "grinder/sander".

I'm curious on thoughts as to the benefits of just shutting up and getting a 2-stage.

BUT... locally, the brands I've seen are Craftsman (my gut feeling is to shy away from it), DeWalt, Ingersal, some blue version at Farm/Fleet or something like that...maybe Continental? I don't recall.

What I'm wondering about are how the different brands might stack against each other.

If it matters, I'm thinking 60 gallon. The 80's just strike me as too large for residential use (as might the 60 but hey, it's my garage!!) So really, what I'm personally debating is a 60 gallon 2-stage, vertical style.

Thoughts?

/ Let's go over air compressors... #2  
On the few occasions where I'm going to be running something that's going to use a lot of air, I tee in a portable air tank to the line. It adds capacity at no cost to me, as I already have it.

However, if you want a bigger compressor, go for a better one this time as a treat to you and your wife. Seems like you use it enough to justify it.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #3  
The only downside to a big one is that you can never move it. I do plasma cutting so I can suck down a ton of air. So, bottom line…you need both an 80 and a 20;)

Seriously though, if I could only have one it would probably be a 20 and like moss said add capacity via an air hog or scavenged tank when you have a big job just watch your compressor’s duty cycle.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #4  
I think mine is a 60 gallon, 5hp single stage. I think the big advantage of two stage is it will pump up to higher pressures which gives more capacity. Mine has lasted me over 20 years so far. I think unless you need a lot of air a single stage is good. A two stage costs quite a bit more usually.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #5  
The compressor compresses the air. The tank is a reservoir for the compreAssors are rated at cubic feet per minute (cfm) at a given pressure. You have to determine your tool's requirements. A two stage compressor can frequently produce more pressure and faster than a single stage. If it can go to 165 psi and your tool takes 90 psi set a regulator to 90. The tank will pump to 165 but you'll only be allowing 90 out which increases the relative capacity. If you choose to add an auxiliary tank be sure it will handle the pressure of the compressor you choose. I have a sixty gallon tank as that was all I felt I could afford at the time. An eighty takes very little more space.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #6  
I have an Ingersoll 3HP, 80 gallon tank, (3SLS?) that goes to about 130 PSI. I use it for all sorts of air tools, plasma cutting, grinding, and to blow dust out of radiators, and it keeps up just fine. I put an intercooler on it (a small power steering oil cooler, and a matching 12V fan) with a coalescing filter just downstream that removes 95% of the water before it gets to the tank. I have a second 5 micron filter coming out of the tank, before it goes into my shop air distribution lines. For painting, and plasma cutting, I have a portable bank of 5/.2/.02 micron filters and regulator for super clean air. Probably overkill. (OK, definitely overkill, but I'm not a great painter and figured that I need an edge that I can get.)

I have had it for thirteen years or so. I bought it on sale for 30% off on Amazon. I put synthetic oil in it when I bought it to get the extended warranty, and I have had no issues. The price has gone up, but there used to be fairly regular sales.

I have one truck that needs 110psi for the front tires, and sometimes I do have to cycle the compressor to go from sub-110 back up, but the truck tires need air about once every five or six years...

A two stage is great if you need high pressure for some reason, but I don't think that you do. If you don't it is just wasted energy. I would stick to a single stage.

I did see a setup with four little air compressors in parallel to generate high enough flow for sandblasting and painting.

All the best,

Peter

/ Let's go over air compressors... #7  
It comes down to rated cubic feet per minute (cfm). If you compare a single stage to a two stage at the same CFM, the two stage may fill the tank slightly faster because it typically outputs cooler air which is more dense. The two stages are generally quite a bit more expensive than the single stages. Two stages are not always higher pressure output than single stages; both are capable of outputting the rated pressure and there are many single stages that are rated for 150 psi plus which is more than is needed for any type of home garage application. The tank size relates to how much reserve you have before the motor kicks on again. The drawback to a giant tank is it takes a lot longer to pump up if you just need it for occasional use which sounds like your application. For the types of uses that you listed, somewhere in the 10-15cfm 30-60 gallon range single or dual stage should be a substantial upgrade from what you have.
However if you think you may decide In the future you have a need for a blasting cabinet or extensive use of a 3/4 impact or other high volume high pressure application, then buy bigger.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #8  
Have 4 actually and I run them according to my air requirements but they are all hard lined together (my shop is all plumbed in black iron pipe so even if I'm only running one, all 4 receivers are storing air. 3 are 2 stage oil bath piston compressors and one is a Sullaire rotary screw. One of the piston compressors is a pressure lubed (with spin on oil fillter Saylor Beal 80 gallon vertical), the other 2 are Campbell 2 stage oil bath also on 80 gallon receivers. I use the Sullaire primarily for my CNC plasma table because a rotary delivers much cleaner (moisture free air, as it has a built in refrigerated dryer.)

I keep all of them set at 135 psi which is all you really need so long as your delivery piping is of adequate diameter to flow enough CFM. Mine is. All my main runs are in 1.5" diameter pipe and the drops are 1" and I use high flow air line and high flow couplers on all my air tools.

Like I said, usually just run one, usually the Saylor Beal. It has a 7.5 horse Marathon Electric motor running 220-3. The more storage (receivers) you have, the less cycle time is needed on a compressor hence longer service life.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #9  
I had a single stage 60 gal and upgraded to an 80 gal 2 stage. It is made by a local outfit here called C'Aire and is industrial quality. For spraying, I use a turbine driven HVLP but the air sanders can really work the compressor. It has enough capacity to keep up when I use the 6" ROS full on as it will catch up and stop eventually, but it does run a long time. Since heat is the enemy, I point a shop fan at it when I run it hard to help cool it more. So the question is what do you really need? Someone mentioned needing a portable one and that is for sure, but those can be fairly small, and you probably have it covered with your 20gal. If you have the space and power for a large fixed unit, it can allow you to run sprayers and high draw air tools like sanders and blasters that you could not do very well otherwise.

Ingersoll used to be a good brand but it sounds like they have become trash in the past few years. I have seen several people complaining about defects in new IR compressors and very poor response from the mfger so I would avoid them. Most of the cheaper brands you will find in Fleet Farm, etc are going to be lower quality which may or may not be enough for what you need. If you rarely run them hard, that may be fine. If you run them hard all the time, then they will prob not last. But if you are going to buy a cheaper/less durable one, don't spend extra for a name like IR that has lost their way. Quincy is a known good brand but I have also heard they have a cheaper line of imports now. Atlas Copco too is higher end. All depends on your needs and wallet.

/ Let's go over air compressors... #10  
I have an Ingersoll 3HP, 80 gallon tank, (3SLS?) that goes to about 130 PSI. I use it for all sorts of air tools, plasma cutting, grinding, and to blow dust out of radiators, and it keeps up just fine. I put an intercooler on it (a small power steering oil cooler, and a matching 12V fan) with a coalescing filter just downstream that removes 95% of the water before it gets to the tank. I have a second 5 micron filter coming out of the tank, before it goes into my shop air distribution lines. For painting, and plasma cutting, I have a portable bank of 5/.2/.02 micron filters and regulator for super clean air. Probably overkill. (OK, definitely overkill, but I'm not a great painter and figured that I need an edge that I can get.)

I have had it for thirteen years or so. I bought it on sale for 30% off on Amazon. I put synthetic oil in it when I bought it to get the extended warranty, and I have had no issues. The price has gone up, but there used to be fairly regular sales.

I have one truck that needs 110psi for the front tires, and sometimes I do have to cycle the compressor to go from sub-110 back up, but the truck tires need air about once every five or six years...

A two stage is great if you need high pressure for some reason, but I don't think that you do. If you don't it is just wasted energy. I would stick to a single stage.

I did see a setup with four little air compressors in parallel to generate high enough flow for sandblasting and painting.

All the best,

Peter
Glad I don't pay her electric bill....