Lets talk about your balls

/ Lets talk about your balls #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Hitch balls of course. Those of you who pull a 14 gvw trailer, what is your ball rated at? I have pulled a 12 gvw16 ft for about 12 years. Sometimes loaded to the max. 10 K. I ran on to a 14 gvw trailer 18' long. I sold the 12 gvw trailer and the fellow wanted a pintle ring so I switched the 2 5\16 hitch, which I wanted anyway. My truck is a F450 with a utility bed with a hitch tube built in and that makes it sit about 26" from the ground. I made a 8' drop hitch for it to fit my pintle hitch with a 2 5\15 ball bolted on with 4 bolts. I got to setting up my new trailer and first I discovered that the trailer hitch was rated for 10k. It was one of those that have the sliding collar to lock and unlock it, and was always a finger pincer. (That's what was on the trailer when it was built) So I ordered a new one different style rated at 14k. When I got to checking my hitch out on the truck I seen that on top of the ball it is listed as 5000 lbs, 1' shank. I have found 4 or 5 hitch inserts with ball over the years laying in the road. One has a ball that says 10,000 lbs, but only a 2" drop, 1 1\8" shank and another one that says 26,000 with a forged insert but only 3" drop. I have another ball only that says 14,000l My pintle hitch doesn't show a rating on it. I did find a ball 2 5\16 that says 6000 rating on top of it but still a 1" shank. Is that strong enough for a 14 gvw trailer? I don't want to have it bored out to the 1 1\8 shank because I am afraid that would weaken it and a 8" 14k drop hitch is almost non exist-ant. What do you guys have on yours? I think those inserts that take the 1" shank ball are only rated at 500lbs tongue weight and I am sure a 14k trailer loaded will have more than that.

/ Lets talk about your balls #2  
40k 3” ball on my GN
20k 2.5” receiver on the back of the frame.
I can replace 3” ball with 2&5/16” by just interchanging if I hook up to a smaller GN

/ Lets talk about your balls #3  
Mine is a raw steel ball 2-5/16 30k rating.....

/ Lets talk about your balls #7  
My understanding is that the max load is limited to the weakest part of the trailer, so for a 14k trailer all parts need to be able to handle the load. Having said that, I have a 7k trailer from the factory that has a welded on coupler that is stamped as 5k. I seldom run near the max load so it's not been a problem, but it sure makes me concerned when I do carry a heavy load.

/ Lets talk about your balls #8  
My understanding is that the max load is limited to the weakest part of the trailer, so for a 14k trailer all parts need to be able to handle the load. Having said that, I have a 7k trailer from the factory that has a welded on coupler that is stamped as 5k. I seldom run near the max load so it's not been a problem, but it sure makes me concerned when I do carry a heavy load.

Your REAL concern should be if/when you have a accident, (any accident) and either the DOT, or insurance company, see that illegal hitch on your 7K trailer.
If a death might be involved, the plaintiff attorneys will eat both you and your insurance company alive.
The charge would likely be.... "culpable neglect/negligence".

I was the victim (not seriously hurt) of a loose trailer on I-95 at 75 MPH.

Last edited:
   / Lets talk about your balls #9  
Been there, done that. Was surprised & depressed it took me so long to notice the under rated ball & stinger on my previous truck.

Have a 2.5" Weigh Safe drop hitch now on the newer truck. 8k on the 2" ball & 18.5k on the 2 5/16". 7.5k for the 1 7/8" ball I got just in case but have no need for. Retired all my other singers & balls from street towing as many arent clearly labeled or are to small.

I'm a fan of the built in scale on the Weigh Safe. Another part to go wrong, but I balance every load perfectly with ease every time. Slightly annoying to change ball size on, but better than needing to find the big *** wrench for a normal ball.

/ Lets talk about your balls #10  
Been there, done that. Was surprised & depressed it took me so long to notice the under rated ball & stinger on my previous truck.

Have a 2.5" Weigh Safe drop hitch now on the newer truck. 8k on the 2" ball & 18.5k on the 2 5/16". 7.5k for the 1 7/8" ball I got just in case but have no need for. Retired all my other singers & balls from street towing as many arent clearly labeled or are to small.

I'm a fan of the built in scale on the Weigh Safe. Another part to go wrong, but I balance every load perfectly with ease every time. Slightly annoying to change ball size on, but better than needing to find the big *** wrench for a normal ball.

I changed all my small trailers to 2" ball.
14K equipment trailer is 2-5/6".
I use the proportional bathroom scale method (e-trailer.com) for proper tongue weight on the equipment trailer.
It is inconvenient, but it works, and I don't need it often.