Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,601  
now that I have seen thier video I can candidly say "no dont buy it" for two reasons.

There are no tubular weldments to hold the shroud and side weldments square and
to prevent it from racking/ twisting and thats never good.

The other reason is the side plates are bolted to the mower shroud.

That is not good simply because the mower can still twist and rack
even with thick steel plate that looks substantial. that is the reason
you see high quality flail mowers with tube frame construction and
full welds.

I would rather see you purchase a four foot Caroni with the F rotor and yes they
will order them and import them for you.

Disclaimer: The opinions offered by me are mine and mine alone alone and based
on my 30 plus years of ownership and operating flail mowers as a consumer.

Thanks for the heads up!
I WAS surprised that there are no videos of the unit in operation.
Which Caroni drum & flail combo would be best for 90% lawn & 10% light weeds/brush?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,602  
I bought a Caroni last year...but have to say that the Woodmaxx looks to be a quality piece. Lots of nice features, and a two year warranty. If I had heard of it before now, I would have driven to their place to check them out, last year.

Don't know how fast you plan to do your mowing, but I always use low range. 3rd gear, low range, on my tractor is good for 2.05mph at the rated 2500rpm. I do my mowing in 3rd, at 2100rpm, which calculates to 1.72mph. According to the owner's manual, my tractor somehow looses 7hp from the fly wheel to the pto shaft, leaving me with 23pto hp. I'm having no problem powering my TM1900 at the ground speeds I run. Last week I was mowing our old horse pasture (no longer have horses) for the 3rd time this year...when I got to the area that has been to wet to mow until now, the grass was as high as the top of my CK30's hood...dropped down to 2nd gear, left throttle setting unchanged, and eased on thru it. Engine speed didn't drop by more than 50rpm's.

Think you'll find that ground speed figures into this equation as much as hp does. Then too, there is no rule saying you have to make full mower width cuts in very tall, heavy cutting conditions

As long as your tractor can handle the 600 pound weight of the Woodmaxx, I'd say go for it....Hill Billy Bob

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,603  
I bought a Caroni last year...but have to say that the Woodmaxx looks to be a quality piece. Lots of nice features, and a two year warranty. If I had heard of it before now, I would have driven to their place to check them out, last year.

Don't know how fast you plan to do your mowing, but I always use low range. 3rd gear, low range, on my tractor is good for 2.05mph at the rated 2500rpm. I do my mowing in 3rd, at 2100rpm, which calculates to 1.72mph. According to the owner's manual, my tractor somehow looses 7hp from the fly wheel to the pto shaft, leaving me with 23pto hp. I'm having no problem powering my TM1900 at the ground speeds I run. Last week I was mowing our old horse pasture (no longer have horses) for the 3rd time this year...when I got to the area that has been to wet to mow until now, the grass was as high as the top of my CK30's hood...dropped down to 2nd gear, left throttle setting unchanged, and eased on thru it. Engine speed didn't drop by more than 50rpm's.

Think you'll find that ground speed figures into this equation as much as hp does. Then too, there is no rule saying you have to make full mower width cuts in very tall, heavy cutting conditions

As long as your tractor can handle the 600 pound weight of the Woodmaxx, I'd say go for it....Hill Billy Bob
My machine is hydrostatic. 3cyl 1.0 diesel. Max operating RPM IS 3200.
I can make it inch along at .5MPH while running wide open.... though I hope I don't have to.
I see what leonz was saying about the sides being bolted on.
I'm really torn now... The Caroni costs a little less... But the WoodMaxx has some features that I really like. Mostly being able to open up the rear for tall grass & brush.
I'm primarily using it to mow the lawn & take down a rough area at the bottom of the property.
I wish I could demo both pieces on MY machine. :(
Don't want to make a mistake on a 2k purchase.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,604  
I picked up a old Mott 88 flail mower from a local township today for 232.50. This unit is 88 inches wide and has a slight offset to the right. The township had a extra set of knives for the mower, but the employee was afraid to give them to me as all that was bid out for sale was the mower. { I really am loosing my touch.] I would get a practice piece like this as others have done before ordering a new 2000.00 mower. If any thing bad happens I still have scrap to sell.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,605  
The 60" Caroni at Agri-Supply comes with the type F drum. Looks like that's the way I'm going to go.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,606  
I also have a new to me 917. Dieselscout, do you take the knives off when you sharpen them with the flap wheel or are you able to do it with them still on the flail?

I used the 917 for the third time yesterday. I changed the belt prior to using. I didn't have belt failure but just thought I would preempt any potential problems. The old belt looked pretty worn.

I use it at my property a couple of hours from home. I have a cabin and cut the yard area the first couple of uses. Yesterday I cut a grown over food plot area. The grass/weeds were about waist high. I wasn't sure what to expect. It is a six foot mower on a Kubota 3430, 34/29.5 HP. The cut was excellent compared to a bush hog and barely lugged the tractor at all. A flail is truly a good dual purpose cutter. It works well for finish type cutting and getting into the taller stuff as well. By the way, I got mine for $400.00 on CL. It has been trouble free so far, knock on wood.

TNhobbyfarmer,

I sharpen mine on the mower just set it on jack stands. It doesn't take to long that way.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,610  
It the Coroni a Reverse Rotation? I can't seem to find this info......