Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,801  
Got my auction find flail mower home today. It looks to be in pretty good shape overall, just a bit neglected. It needs a belt and the tractor side of the pto. Anyone know a good source for half, or is it best to replace the entire pto?

Can anyone confirm the model from this serial number tag?

Thanks

You need a new complete PTO Shaft to cut it to the right length

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,802  
How's you're Maschio holding up? How long have you had it? What kind of blades? (1,000 questions!):ROFLMAO:
Mine is a Tigre 300 with hydraulic side shift. It's a 10' flail with hammers and not blades. It's holding up fine. I think I just bought it new last year, maybe year before last.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,804  
So I picked up a used but like new Ferri FM155 flail recently for my 1025R. After some grease and gear box oil I tried it out on the highest cut setting. I found that it does not cut anywhere near as nice or clean in taller grass as my Alamo flail, no matter the speed. The knives look pretty decent and aren’t beat up.

Where can I find a manual for this mower and is this generally a good mower or is there a reason for the poor cut?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,805  
So I picked up a used but like new Ferri FM155 flail recently for my 1025R. After some grease and gear box oil I tried it out on the highest cut setting. I found that it does not cut anywhere near as nice or clean in taller grass as my Alamo flail, no matter the speed. The knives look pretty decent and aren’t beat up.

Where can I find a manual for this mower and is this generally a good mower or is there a reason for the poor cut?
I’ve found with my Caroni the higher the cut setting produces the poorest cut.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,806  

Hello showroomshine,

The Ferri Flail Mower like all flail mowers is best operated at
the lowest setting or 2 inch cutting height as this creates
the highest pressure gradient/suction pressure to cut and
lift the clippings up and over the flail mower rotor and back
down to the ground.

The Ferri Family has been making farm implements for
4 generations since 1844 and is a world leader in
mower technology.

You have an excellent mower for all conditions and it will
outlast your current mule and the next one as long as you
take care of it.

With your mower you can flip the side slicer knives to expose
a fresh sharp edge for mowing.

The best and easiest way to maintain a paper cut sharp edge
on your side slicer knives is to invest in a wet well grinder
from the folks at the Micromark Company.

www.micromark.com

The low speed water bath cooled grinding wheel is the best way to
safely cool grind your side slicer knives.

The wet well grinder sold by Micromark is currently $99.00 plus sales
tax and shipping.

The low speed wet well grinder can be used for grinding sharp edges
on chisels and pocket knives as well.

You can send the FERRI Company an e-mail with the 155 flail mowers
serial number and your physical address and I am sure they will supply
you with an owners manual either by mail or via a PDF file that you can
print out in landscape form which is easier to read.

Happy mowing.

Attachments

• Ferri eng-26335.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • ferri_zme_leaflet.pdf
    528.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ferri_zme_leaflet.pdf
    528.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 86566_R-1.jpg
    86566_R-1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,807  
I lost my dog Maggie this past saturday. We think she had a stroke. Looked like she laid down and went to sleep. She was only 3 :(
So sorry to hear that Nova! Unfortunate at only 3 also, yet a stroke can happen at any time. Still sorry news.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,808  
Currently I am being offered full new bearing assemblies, a new axle weldment and a new set of hammers. I appreciate the fast response. but... the idea of needing to rebuild the whole thing that I have nothing but trouble with isn't super exciting. I am contemplating my next steps.

Did you ever get this resolved?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,809  
Has anyone here ever drilled additional holes in their flail mower to allow a bit more height when cutting? I was thinking of adding a couple more holes to see if I could bump up the cutting height from 4 inches to closer to 6 inches for pasture mowing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,810  
After 100+ h on my 68'' offset palletforks.com flail mower, I sold it due to the lack of available service parts, then I went and got a Betstco AGL165 articulating flailmower. Still made in China I suppose, but they seem well made. Have absolutely nothing bad to say about the palletforks.com mower. Just the company itself suck.

IMG_4851-cutout-scaled.jpg