Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,831  
I also agree. That's why I'm looking for some first-hand experience with this particular mower (EFG155). It sounds like the EFGC series is up to snuff, but it's $1650 instead of $1050. For a few hundred more dollars, I'd step up to heavy-duty. But for >50% more I guess I'll try the EFG155 with or without any direct testimonials.

Edit to add that the deed is done. I've ordered the EFG155 and I hope to get a chance to try it out before the snow starts back up.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #1,832  
They only had one model back when I bought mine, I believe it was EF 155, which today, is probably the light duty model. I never have had a serious complaint, except with the way the two pulleys attached to the shafts, maybe they have changed that by now. I would ask about that before buying. No amount of tightening or thread lock applied ever lasted long, finally gave up and did what the manufacturer should have done in the first place. By the way, if you are buying from Betst Equipment in Cottage grove Or. they are very responsive with parts shipping. That is where I got mine through Ebay.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,833  
"LOL, pretty sure there are a number of opinions here, but what you really need is the thoughts of someone with actual experience with this piece. Just as not everything Italian is a Ferrari, not everything Chinese is the dregs of Harbor Freight".

Agree Sodamo, what I was trying to convey to the poster was that you get what you pay for with this brand. I have bought several things from Harbor Freight, and I find in general, the more moving parts they have, the more reconfiguring you may have to do. After those modifications, the Harbor Frt. machines, and also the Value Leader flail mower, did their jobs well enough. I appreciate the affordable prices of these made in China implements, that is why I bought one, because I, like Parkasnsky, have an eye for a bargain.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,834  
I like quality stuff, and I'm usually inclined to spend more up-front to get what I want. But in this case the price difference was so big that I decided to take a chance, knowing that I can rebuild it a few times over before I'll have spent as much as I would have buying a nice Ferri mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,835  
Champagne taste on a beer budget, I can relate. I don't like getting junk and my wife is quite supportive that I don't. But I also don't like paying for just a name or maybe where made if there is no true benefit of value. Just this year I decided to upgrade my solar, PV system, we are off grid. 7 years ago, I bought US made panels, 25 year warranty. This year I bought made in China panels at 2xs the output for 1/3 the cost, same warranty. I have to wonder, should I still be around in 18 years, what would be available and at what price. Even in another 7, I doubt my US panels will be worth more than the Chinese ones. While I realize this is not on par with a flail as for mechanics, the principle is valid. I'm also of the age that Made in Japan = crap, I think we know how that played out.
A very good friend recently sold his Gearmore flail. It was about 2or 3 years older than mine, very very valuable rust based on what he paid for it.

David
Sent from my iPad Air using TractorByNet

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,836  
I also agree. That's why I'm looking for some first-hand experience with this particular mower (EFG155). It sounds like the EFGC series is up to snuff, but it's $1650 instead of $1050. For a few hundred more dollars, I'd step up to heavy-duty. But for >50% more I guess I'll try the EFG155 with or without any direct testimonials.

Edit to add that the deed is done. I've ordered the EFG155 and I hope to get a chance to try it out before the snow starts back up.

FlailMowerUnloading.jpg

It's here! It's also snowing here, but I will still try to get it together and run it for a little while this weekend.