Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,931  
For large metric allen plugs, I use a metric bolt that the head fits into the plug and double nut it.

Loosen with the nut closest to the head, tighten with the nut farthest from the head.

View attachment 488581
Yep everything is metric except the drain and level check plugs being 1/4". Fill plug is 3/8". Chinese made Italian unit :confused3::D who knows. But it seems strange the hex allen set I had did not fit as I had the 1/4" one out. Ill find my set of bits tomorrow somewhere (already found 3 missing tools in the process) so all is good. Its the one set I got from Harbor freight that I love as they seem to fit everything I have run across 1 Pc Security Bit Set with Case

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,932  
-----------------

I think I have figured out what the 4 brass washers are for - seems strange, but they look to be used when installing the boss hydraulic connections to the cylinders. They show up on the parts diagram. Never run across this before, but will check with IFE in the morning. Most boss connections with the seal installed as part of the fitting, just screw in to a machined female boss unit. Question I have is should I use any lock-tite on the threads. I have the blue stuff available, but not sure if it is compatible with hydraulic fluid - need to read the bottle.

Lousy weather for the next few days, at least down here so Ill get back to it in a few days. Snow up in the mountains :cool2::dance1::cool2::drink:

Thanks for the help

Read this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/371988-hydraulic-top-link-failure-2.html

The washer does the sealing, do not over tighten. Just snug, if it leaks tighten it some more.

I would never use lock-tite or teflon tape on hydraulic fittings. Only NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings or other tapered pipe thread fittings, need a hydraulic thread sealent.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,933  
Thanks - they are thin and fit loose around the fitting. I guess Ill know when I get the plugs out of the cylinder connections and try the fit. Thanks.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,934  
I called Iowa Farm Equipment. Could not have asked for better service. Andrew was out but the parts guy walked me through everything. So far I have everything right, and he gave me a tip on the hose running. I found my bit set :cool2::drink:, but the plug is still a mystery. I did get one fitting to hook up so it would not damage the plug. There is oil in the gear case, but it needs to be topped off, assuming it should just flow out of the hole when full. Still raining outside with snow up high, so will get back to it when the sun comes out and it is not so cold. Thanks for the tip on how to correctly make up the connections - I have a bad habit of getting things too tight. :eek:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,935  
I just cross referenced the roller bearings (hex bore) on my JD 25A flail to a New Holland #

JD price: $125/ea
NH price: $49/ea

Guess which ones I ordered. ;) They showed up yesterday, purchased from Messick's. Good service, I ordered late Sunday night and they showed up Tuesday! I also grabbed on of the hex bore retaining collars off eBay for about $20 shipped, vs JD price of $43!

Once I get that rear roller moving properly again, I'll find all the rocks on my land in the spring, dig them out (after hitting them), and once they're gone I'll put all new knives on it and start refurbishing or patching the rusted out hood.

Edit: for anyone who wants the part numbers:

JD 25A# for hex bore roller bearing: JD-AE29309-------$125
New Holland # for the very same bearing: 80121602---$49

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,936  
Great find:thumbsup:

JD is always expensive. We needed 4 shims and JD wanted $100 + shipping. Found a pack of 10 elsewhere for $14 shipped.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,937  
Great find:thumbsup: JD is always expensive. We needed 4 shims and JD wanted $100 + shipping. Found a pack of 10 elsewhere for $14 shipped.

Thanks! Yeah I hear that!

I'm a deal shopper for sure, one of the o-rings for my Massey 35 Utility was $10, I got a pack of TEN Viton units for $10 shipped elsewhere.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,938  
OMG :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool2::cool2::D

Everything is hooked up and running, PTO Just fit without trimming. Tight spot is when fully retracted. Weight is not an issue, even fully to the side. Once you get past the start up clank (and shut down) it runs with ZERO vibration. Sounds like a jet. Extension gives me plenty of room to sit on the road and pivot down the slope. I do need to lower the roller as can be seen in the pictures on my test cut with the skids leaving ruts. My son is coming for Thanksgiving and Ill get him to help. I also need to add a restriction to slow down the lowering speed - not a big thing.

Attachments

• 1124161159.jpg
    1124161159.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 1124161200.jpg
    1124161200.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1124161200a.jpg
    1124161200a.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 1124161223.jpg
    1124161223.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1124161224.jpg
    1124161224.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 1124161224a.jpg
    1124161224a.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 1124161233.jpg
    1124161233.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 1124161233a.jpg
    1124161233a.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 136
   / Let's talk flail mowers #3,939  
Let us know what you finally come up with to satisfactorily slow down the lowering of the cutting head. Mine has the same problem and I have just managed to use a finer hand on the spool valve but a restriction would definitely work better.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,940  
OMG :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool2::cool2::D

Everything is hooked up and running, PTO Just fit without trimming. Tight spot is when fully retracted. Weight is not an issue, even fully to the side. Once you get past the start up clank (and shut down) it runs with ZERO vibration. Sounds like a jet. Extension gives me plenty of room to sit on the road and pivot down the slope. I do need to lower the roller as can be seen in the pictures on my test cut with the skids leaving ruts. My son is coming for Thanksgiving and Ill get him to help. I also need to add a restriction to slow down the lowering speed - not a big thing.

NICE! I officially have mower envy. I love my Mott SHD88 but I would love the ability to mow my ditches more easily and mow without running over some of what I need to mow. What is the price range on those?