Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,601  
Someone was asking about a Del Morino Flipper 186 M flail mower recently. I can't find the post/thread now as when I first saw it I couldn't log in due to a new OS.

Anyway I have one of these machines and have found it quite adequate for my purposes. That is, until last Monday (26th) when it wouldn't work. On inspection I found that the belts had disintegrated. I saw a post that hinted that there is a problem with belts burning out so that's something I need to keep an eye on.

Replacements are on order and I'm considering getting some spare to avoid any down time.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,602  
Someone was asking about a Del Morino Flipper 186 M flail mower recently. I can't find the post/thread now as when I first saw it I couldn't log in due to a new OS.

Anyway I have one of these machines and have found it quite adequate for my purposes. That is, until last Monday (26th) when it wouldn't work. On inspection I found that the belts had disintegrated. I saw a post that hinted that there is a problem with belts burning out so that's something I need to keep an eye on.

Replacements are on order and I'm considering getting some spare to avoid any down time.

Suggest you get Gates Kevlar reinforced belts. You just need to know the profile and length.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,603  
Thanks. There's a place near me that should provide what you suggest or similar.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,604  
Thanks. There's a place near me that should provide what you suggest or similar.

If you can figure out the profile and size, Amazon can also supply them. I keep one extra set on hand and reorder when I replace broken belts. I always replace them all as a set even though sometimes only one of the three on my Caroni breaks. I get two to three years from a set on average.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,605  
When I get the replacements I'll take them to Abex Power Components first and see what they've got.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,606  
Officially joined the flail mower club today.

IMG_20170628_180126.jpg

54" Caroni, was a little worried that 4ft would be too small but the size is perfect with the offset. Since we're mostly using this to keep our pasture in check I set the roller and skids at the highest level and it did an awesome job cutting down the overgrowth while leaving enough grass for forage for our animals. I expected to need to slow down the tractor a bit seeing as our 1500 is only ~19HP, however the thing just tore though large patches of grass with no issue at almost full speed.

I remember trying to do this with our riding lawn mower and it just bogging/taking forever, mind blown. Also can't believe how quiet this is relative to a bush hog, happy to not be risking sending things flying into the neighbor's house as well.

One small question for other people who have this. Our dealer set this up with the top link in the sliding slot to adjust for bumps/etc however there's another hole there:
IMG_20170628_181453.jpg

Is that just a hole that's nice for transporting? The manual makes no mention of it that I could see.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,607  
I don't use the round hole for my top link,but my tractor has a high lift on the hitch. On a smaller tractor using the round hole may give you more lift for transport, it will also reduce any bounce considerably.

I was surprised that I can mow grass & weeds faster than I want... Thick clover will make the tractor work harder than grass and if I go too fast it will clump a bit.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,608  
Officially joined the flail mower club today.

View attachment 513742

54" Caroni, was a little worried that 4ft would be too small but the size is perfect with the offset. Since we're mostly using this to keep our pasture in check I set the roller and skids at the highest level and it did an awesome job cutting down the overgrowth while leaving enough grass for forage for our animals. I expected to need to slow down the tractor a bit seeing as our 1500 is only ~19HP, however the thing just tore though large patches of grass with no issue at almost full speed.

I remember trying to do this with our riding lawn mower and it just bogging/taking forever, mind blown. Also can't believe how quiet this is relative to a bush hog, happy to not be risking sending things flying into the neighbor's house as well.

One small question for other people who have this. Our dealer set this up with the top link in the sliding slot to adjust for bumps/etc however there's another hole there:
View attachment 513743

Is that just a hole that's nice for transporting? The manual makes no mention of it that I could see.

=========================================================

Welcome to the Flail Mower Nations.

Whether you use the top link or not it is up to you. the upper pin hole is there to mount the mower in a horizontal plane in relation to the ground when mowing.

The slotted hole lets the mower follow the contour of ground a bit closer if you have uneven ground to mow. Many flail mowers are also mounted on the front of small four wheel tractors used for mowing good sod to allow the flail mower to
mow closer to the contour rather than have high spots and low spots when mowing good sod that is not level in spots.
The mowers sound is just like a high quality high powered vacuum cleaner.

You can use it with either the top link mounting location or the slotted top link for your mowing, but with good sod you want to make sure its in the pin hole

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #4,609  
Yeah, that makes sense, he also left the lift arm pins free so that the mower would follow the ground easier. Seems to work really well, skids stayed off the ground even when turning and we've got some pretty bumpy pasture that it handled well.

Overall really impressed. We had some other dealers try to talk us out of using one for a pasture saying that it was only good for sod. Don't know what he was talking about, this thing works great for our pasture even on a smaller tractor.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,610  
Makes me chuckle when people say that a flail is only for good sod. Then there are the people who say they're only for brush, like the state guys use. With the rotor and knife selections available, it's truly a versatile machine.

My 25A, as I've mentioned in the past- beat to snot, bent knives, twisted hood, knives are dull and old. To the right you can see what this field started as. I'd say that's a pretty good cut on tall field grass and light brush.

Attachments

• image-1175312575.jpg
    image-1175312575.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 189