Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,501  
Banded belts seem like they would be hard to install in this application. Did you find it more difficult? Anyway I have extra sets of singles now just in case. OEM is on now and a B/U set of Gates
I have a few dozen hours on Gates B43 belts (3) and so far ok. I also bought a spare set. All from Amazon for about $8 each ($24). I looked for Kevlar types but didn’t find any. Maybe mine are but it isn’t specified.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,502  
My property looks similar to yours in some places. I went with Novatractor because it had the meanest looking hammers I found. I was telling my wife we need to take better pics and video of what we're doing with it because so far all I find online is people just cutting grass lol. This thing eats twigs, small branches, saplings and pine cones like nothing. This was 15 minutes and was easy stuff compared to some.

View attachment 744821View attachment 744822

Also, the sideshift has been great! I have the MFZ155, my tractor is 66 inches wide. So it's 60" cut doesn't quite cover the tires but I didn't want to go wider because it can be tricky to maneuver between the trees. The sideshift lets me reach a little as well as letting me get it out of the way when turning or up against the fence line. I am glad I went with a slide model.View attachment 744823

I was a bit leary about getting one that seems almost nobody has heard of, but they've been on the market for at least a few years so hope they will be around when I need something. I do have a few spare hammers. And as I saw someone else mentioned, the back panel on the Novatractor opens up for inspection and maintenance and makes it much easier to deal with.
How is this flail mower holding up for you? I'm trying to make a choice for one, and I am a little leery too regarding the brand.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,503  
How is this flail mower holding up for you? I'm trying to make a choice for one, and I am a little leery too regarding the brand.

So far it's been flawless. But, I only have about 10 hours of real use on it so far. But I opened it up to inspect and all looks good. Added a lil grease and ready to go again.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,504  
So far it's been flawless. But, I only have about 10 hours of real use on it so far. But I opened it up to inspect and all looks good. Added a lil grease and ready to go again.
Great to hear... After some further investigation, I ended up ordering the NOVA MFZ-135 last week and it arrive on Monday. I finally had a chance today to pop the top off the crate. I plan to Loctite all the non-adjustment related fasteners and make sure everything is tight (also some gear oil and grease) before loading it up and taking it home.

The communication with Nova Tractor (Jack) was great and the unit arrived to Georgia faster than I expected.

Attachments

• 20220518_125354.jpg
    20220518_125354.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220518_130452.jpg
    20220518_130452.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,505  
Great to hear... After some further investigation, I ended up ordering the NOVA MFZ-135 last week and it arrive on Monday. I finally had a chance today to pop the top off the crate. I plan to Loctite all the non-adjustment related fasteners and make sure everything is tight (also some gear oil and grease) before loading it up and taking it home.

The communication with Nova Tractor (Jack) was great and the unit arrived to Georgia faster than I expected.
Please update when you can!

The Nova Tractor flail is high on my list.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,506  
Just got me a flail today. Anyone know what model this John Deere flail is? What type of blades are those?
Any help is much appreciated.
IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,507  
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,508  
I've seen those blades on crop choppers. So hacking away at corn stalks and the like in a field, rather than lawn. No real experience though...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,509  
Look for an ID plate as soon as possible.

At some time in the past the caster wheels were removed.
The strips of metal hung on the piece of bar stock are ment to
act as debris shields/shutters when used in a front mount.

It very well could be an Oliver flail crop shredder as the knives
are secured with a long rod within the rotor weldment as none
of the knife mounts are exposed.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,510  
Look for an ID plate as soon as possible.

At some time in the past the caster wheels were removed.
The strips of metal hung on the piece of bar stock are ment to
act as debris shields/shutters when used in a front mount.

It very well could be an Oliver flail crop shredder as the knives
are secured with a long rod within the rotor weldment as none
of the knife mounts are exposed.
You are probably right. I have never seen that type of one-sided bent-style knives all supported by a common rod inside (apparently.) Alternating rows of left pointing vs right pointing. Pretty interesting design. Like you, I am guessing it is pretty old and not something currently sold. And for sure if he is going to use it he needs to come up with castor wheels of some kind! [A whole lot cheaper than adding a roller.] The post holes are still there and look serviceable -- probably just a matter of measuring the diameter of the holes and searching around for castor wheels to do the job.