lets talk impact wrenchs

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #21  
When you're setting up your regulator, do it with the gun in your hand and the trigger pulled. That's the 90 you want, not when it's sitting ready.

I have a cheap kit gun and it does just fine, something is wrong with your setup. I also have a Matco and it certainly outperforms the other (no comparison)...

Check your regulator and set it for 90 delivered and I bet you'll see a difference...

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #22  
OK let me just pour out the gasoline and watch the flames erupt. I personally just set my regulator for all the pressure that my compressor puts out and then go with that. I usually have pretty good luck with my impact driver on taking off nuts and stuff.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #23  
30 years of working on cars, contrary to what the book says, no one I ever worked wanted anything less than full line pressure on an impact or wrachet. And we used 2 stage compressors that operated from 140 to 175 psi. The more the better. Dozens of guys, tons of tools never did it cause a problem. Working by the job the only thing that matters is speed. And there is a big difference between 90psi and 150.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #24  
There are times when some good penetrating oil on the frozen part makes a difference.

I bought an electric impact tool and rarely ever use an air tool because the electric one is so convenient.

It's good to see this discussion because an air tool may be cheaper and better in the long run.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #25  
Gemini5362 and ray66v, I'll bet more than 99% of the people do the same thing; just use whatever pressure their compressor puts out. The tools are rated at 90 psi, if you have less than 90 psi getting to the tool, it may work just find, but with less power that what it's rated for, and vice versa; more than 90 psi will give it more power. But ray, if it never caused a problem in your shop, someone sure was lucky because it does put more stress on the tool, causes faster wear and eventually causes parts to break. But I'm not saying it's a bad idea. As you said, on some jobs, speed is what matters, so it might well be worth the cost of repairing or replacing tools.

2manyrocks, I've personally owned 2 half inch electric impact wrenches in the past. They cost more, they're heavier, and they're less powerful, but if you have no compressor, but do have electricity available, and don't need the extra power, they're great. During our years as full time RVers, I had a generator in the RV and I used my electric impact to change tires, even changed out a complete set of springs under a trailer once with it. And my brother, who used to be a Matco Tool distributor, had been a mechanic before that, and had air tools, now lives in the fifth-wheel travel trailer and has a Craftsman electric impact. Nothing wrong with that.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #26  
Electric works fine for me. I also have a 28 volt Milwaukee cordless impact that does good work in the bush.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #27  
If you buy a good tool, you don't have to baby it.
But, if you want to be my guest.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #28  
ray66v said:
But, if you want to be my guest.

I believe what Bird is saying is that no matter how good a tool it is if you work outside of the specs it was built for it is going to wear prematurely. You can buy a proto brealer bar but if you put a 8 foot cheater bar on it every time you have to break something apart eventually you are going to see problems with it. If Impact wrenches are made to run on 90 psi and you hit them with 175 psi for instance you are going to see some additional wear on it no matter what brand it is. I have a good impact wrench and I usually run it at about 125 psi. I am sure that I am going to see some premature wear from overpressureing it. The 8 or 10 times a year I use it I can probably live with a lot of premature wear. All bird is doing is cautioning people that based on his experience repairing air tools working outside the specs is going to shorten the life.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #29  
I'm just telling you, based on my experience actually using these tools every day, for 30 years, in shops with dozens of guys doing the same thing, it is not a big issue. If it was, I would have seen it and experienced it and done something about it. Call me a daredevil if you want for that.
People do break tools, There are guys out there that can screw up an iron ball.
I'm not one of them.
Like I said, be my guest.

Last edited:
   / lets talk impact wrenchs #30  
ray66v said:
it is not a big issue

What do you call a "good" tool? I've repaired the damage on Snap-On, Blue Point, MAC, Matco, Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll-Rand, Cornwell, and Craftsman.:D But I agree that it's not a BIG issue; they may go quite awhile without breaking, but sooner or later; splines twist off rotors, hammer pins break, cam release springs break, metal "mushrooms" both inside and on the outer (visible) end of the anvil. It'll depend not only on air pressure, of course, but how much the tool is used and how hard it's used; i.e., how many bolts, how tight are they, how long does it have to hammer before they break loose.

Excessive air pressure, inadequate lubrication, moisture causing corrosion, and dirt entering the air intake are what keeps air tool repairmen in business.:)