lets talk impact wrenchs

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #31  
I bought a AirCat 1404 several years ago. It is one of the quiest impacts I have used rated at 82dba. Max torque is 640 ft lbs.. Nice gun.

Solo

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #32  
Quiet is good, that is an advantage you have if you buy from a tool truck, you can test the tool out with air on it and see if it is a "screamer" before you own it. For example, there are some air wratchets out there that will give you hearing damage, if you were to use them every day, (often, but not always, the cheap ones). Don't make the mistake of thinking that loud equals powerful, this is not always the case. I own several 1/4" air wratchets, the most powerful one, (and my favorite), is the quietest one.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #33  
Thanks, Bird. It is always good to hear from someone who has "inside" information.

I never thought that moisture iniside the tool could be much of a problem because the oil would prevent rust. I have a dedicated dryer/filter for the plasma cutter, but the rest of my air is fresh from the compressor. The cut-off tool and die grinder particularly send lots of water out the exhaust on humid days. But in 20 or so years of occasional use they have never given a problem. Do you think an air dryer and filter for air tools is worth the money?

Thanks.

Chuck Ford

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #34  
Supplying high volume tools with dry air can be expensive. Simple air dryer filters only remove some of the moisture that has already condensed in the lines, vapor passes mostly right through them to condense further down stream as it cools, (i.e. your hoses, and tools). There are new technologies in filtration coming out, not cheap, that are making claims of success.
A refrigerated or desiccant dryer is the sure way to go. Theses dryers will condense the vapor out of the air and remove it. But, for an average person it is not an economical solution, You start talking at about $400. one big enough for high volume tools like grinders, plan on paying more.
One filter I found that was somewhat useful before buying a desiccant and refrigerated dryer, is called a Motor Gaurd Filter, (around $50). This filter contains a roll of media like toilet paper, (and sometimes I used toilet paper in it), it was the most effective water trap for the money that I found. Although on real humid days, like any other filter, the water vapor will still be an issue.
Keeping your compressor as cool as possible, (adding a fan to blow on it or putting it in a cooler place), also helps. If it is running very hard it probably needs to be larger, a larger compressor will run cooler, thereby producing less water vapor down stream.
Unfortunately, from what I have seen putting more oil in the tool is all most people can reasonably do.
My problem was always I needed air dry enough to paint, so I could not live with any moisture.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #35  
We have a couple of refrigerant air dryers at work. One of the machines uses high volume air at 125 psi. It has its own refrigerant air dryer and it is not cheap to replace.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #36  
Farmerford said:
Thanks, Bird. It is always good to hear from someone who has "inside" information.

I never thought that moisture iniside the tool could be much of a problem because the oil would prevent rust. I have a dedicated dryer/filter for the plasma cutter, but the rest of my air is fresh from the compressor. The cut-off tool and die grinder particularly send lots of water out the exhaust on humid days. But in 20 or so years of occasional use they have never given a problem. Do you think an air dryer and filter for air tools is worth the money?

Thanks.

Chuck Ford

Chuck, like Ray said, for most of us, it isn't worth the money. Just give the tools a shot of oil, and one quick burst of air, when you are FINISHED using them. A lot of people give them a shot of oil BEFORE using them, but a little oil after using them will displace most of the moisture.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #37  
Bird: My opinion of a good tool is the CP734 purchased in 1978 that I still use to this day(not every day, like my 3/8" impact). Never been apart, the air adjustment knob is about ready to blow out, the anvil won't hold a socket, but I swear it is just as strong as it was new. That is one good product they built back then. I believe I paid $59 for it. I definitely got my money's worth.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #38  
Mike, the CP734 was probably Chicago Pneumatic's most popular half inch impact; same power rating as the IR231 but an entirely different design. But like any tool, they can be broken. And I've repaired a couple of dozen of them. The CP734 was also one of the most "cloned" tools around, but the cheap clones didn't have nearly as much power. In fact, I owned one of the Central Pneumatic (Harbor Freight) clones for quite a few years; about half the power of the real thing, but otherwise was a good tool.:D

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #39  
I'm currently looking at IR2135QTiMAX for $250. Specs show 780 ft lbs and only weighs 4.05 lbs. The Q stands for "quiet". If anyone has one, I would like their opinion. Thanks. Sorry, I'm a little of topic for "cheap" impacts.:)

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #40  
Here is a shot of my trio. :D

1979 model Blue Point
1979 model Blue point air ratchet
19?? model Snap on, Just bought off Ebay for $40, works great!!

I couldn't afford the Snap-on impact back in 1979, and if I recall I passed on the Snap-on air ratchet back then because the Blue Point was actually nicer. Probably cheaper to. I have a cheap HF air ratchet and it actually works ok because the bolts are smaller I'm removing. But I have held on to that Bluepoint to long and had my hand pined against a frame!!! :D

Attachments

• airtools.JPG
    airtools.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 142