Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out?

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #31  
In my experience, these type of problems surface early or they don't surface at all. This was the first time I tried to use the welder on 240 V power.

I'm pleased they are covering it with warranty, disappointed that it has been in the shop over a week now.

I wonder how warranty issues are handled with brands that don't sell thru dealers. Do the major guys cover shipping or is that on the consumer?

That has been my experience as well. As for your warranty questions, I bought my Millermatic 211 through Cyberweld. Here's what they say in their FAQ. I'm well beyond the 10 day period so in the event of a failure I'll be driving it to the nearest authorized facility. Fortunately there is one not too far down the hill.

WHAT IF MY MACHINE IS DEFECTIVE?

The customer may contact Cyberweld about a defect within 10 days of receipt. The customer will have two choices:

(1)Take the defective machine to an Authorized Miller or Thermal Dynamics Service Facility for warranty repair

(2)Ship the machine back to Cyberweld in exchange for a new machine of the same model. The customer MUST have a Cyberweld-issued "Return Goods Authorization" number, the machine must be in original packaging, and the customer is responsible for any freight charges back to Cyberweld. A new machine will not be shipped until the malfunctioning machine is received and inspected by Cyberweld.

Machine defects detected after 10 days of original receipt must be repaired under the manufacturers factory warranty policy at an Authorized Miller or Thermal Dynamics repair facility. The customer is responsible for transporting his/her machine to and from the service facility.

WHAT IF MY WELDING MACHINE NEEDS REPAIR?

Both the Miller/Hobart True Blue warranty and the ESAB warranty will be honored at authorized Miller or ESAB repair facilities around the U.S. We will happily provide you with the repair facility nearest you.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #32  
In my experience, these type of problems surface early or they don't surface at all. This was the first time I tried to use the welder on 240 V power.

It's not just your experience, it is a very well known characteristic of manufactured items. It's called the "bathtub curve" because it sorta looks like a bathtub - high at the beginning of service life (failures referred to as infant mortality), drops off sharply for a long stretch and then turns back up (wearing out). That's why relatively short warranties are not really too bad most of the time: If it's defective, it should fail quick, and the warranty will cover it. The problem happens when you buy something but don't use it for a stretch...

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #33  
It seems that statistically with electronics failures will occur within the first 10 hours.

Believing that I never purchase extended warrantees and so for so good.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out?
"Bathtub Curve", a phrase I'll use in the future. Thanks.

It can happen with any manufacturer. Most important thing is how they deal with it. Prompt repair or replacement is the standard of a good company.

Resolution time will tell volumes about a brand.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #35  
It seems that statistically with electronics failures will occur within the first 10 hours.

Believing that I never purchase extended warrantees and so for so good.
Somewhat, but, if you have counterfeit capacitors in your unit, they could last a year or more, then, suddenly quit, manufacturers have been known to put 1 or more counterfeit capacitors in their equipment.. usually, the top of a capacitor will bulge, or the bottom of the capacitor will leak a tan fluid,(the electrolyte).. counterfeit is meaning the manufacturer partially copied the formula for making the capacitor illegally, but, forgot an anti-foaming agent is needed to prevent foaming of the electrolyte, which makes the capacitor swell, and lose it's electrolyte..

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #37  
Sounds like your Lincoln had a leaky smoke tank. Lucas used to sell replacement smoke kits for their wiring harnesses but Lincoln always shunned the practice. Let the dealer sort in out under warranty.

This is at least the second post with the word "warranty". If it was mis-wired (say, wired for 110) when plugged into 220, it won't be covered by warranty.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #38  
This welder utilizes an auto-ranging switch mode power supply. No internal tap or jumper changes required. Just connect the appropriate factory-provided power cord. My Miller 211 accomplishes this w/ a simple cord end adapter.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #39  
Even if Lincoln wave solders the boards themselves in the US it is unlikely they also manufacture all the discrete board component parts. And likely those component sources change over time based on factors like cost and availability. The good news is you have a sole source warranty that they honored.

This unit is built in Mexico, most of it.

/ Licoln 210 MP on 240v shorted out? #40  
This unit is built in Mexico, most of it.

So are most of the General Electric jet engines used on airliners - what's your point? Things made in Mexico are inferior? And to think GE has been making jet engines in Monterrey, Mexico since 1976, and they're building a new $400M factory in Hermosillo, Mexico. Safran Aerospace has been operating in Mexico for over 20 years and is constructing a new facility in Queretaro, Mexico.

It comes down to manufacturing processes, QA and QC not the ethnic background of the people making the product.