Lift capabilities

/ Lift capabilities #31  
We all get attached to our animals. But if you have livestock, sooner or later you are going to have dead stock. You just can't bury them delicately and with the same type of honor guard you provide for humans.

The most I've actually cried in the last 10 years has been when the vet is putting my dogs to sleep. Seems to get to me worse than / differently than family, for some reason.

There's no reason for people to get hurt by trying to lead a horse into a very deep sloped hole which could obviously cave in. There's no reason to risk having equipment drop into a hole and get someone hurt or create another hazard.

All the great movie cowboys put their horses out of their misery and then rode on. They knew their "friend" was not in the remains they left behind and they didn't feel guilty about not staying to bury him. The time to be gentle is prior to death. It's not disrespectful to do what needs to be done afterward. Whether you bury or dispose of otherwise, it's just one necessary unpleasant task that should be completed without ceremony so everyone can move on.

Edit -- point is, no one needs to feel guilty about getting a horse buried.

/ Lift capabilities #32  
I'll also add, just cause this seems like an accident waiting to happen . . .

If you've ever been standing around or holding the lead rope on a horse that's getting put down, first thing the doc will do is tranquilize the horse so he doesn't feel any pain. When they start stumbling around and getting dizzy and then finally lay down, you need to watch that you don't get stepped on or worse. Can't imagine trying to get an old nervous horse to walk down into a hole (very unnatural thing) and then trying to stay out of the way when the horse finally lays down.

/ Lift capabilities #33  
You need to have the excavator do it if you’re going to do it in a a respectful method. Even if the tractor did pick it up which I doubt, it won’t have the reach to place the horse in the hole. Obviously you could just drag it in but I doubt that’s the option the owners are looking for.
It is dead and only those watching will know how it was placed in its grave. Don't do something stupid by adding a tractor and the operator to the grave. Just ask the owner to turn and say a prayer while you drag it in.

/ Lift capabilities #34  
Adding another note for future reference for someone also needing to do this. As soon (and respectfully) as possible after the vet has confirmed there is no more signs of life, pull and bundle both front and back legs inward towards their belly and tie them with a rope or cheap/disposable ratchet strap as tightly as you can before rigormortis sets in. Otherwise once those legs stiffen up those make the whole process much more awkward and difficult.

/ Lift capabilities #35  
I own a New Holland TC 29D. My neighbor asked me for a favor, I said I would help, if I could. Sadly, they are putting down one of their 30+ year old horses. They asked me if I would place in grave. Someone with an excavator is doing the digging prior, but can't stay around to lower horse. I'm not sure if I'm reading manual correctly, but it would seem like the lifting capabilities are 800#. Research shows the average horse is 1000# to 1200#. Yes, I know that there are wide variables to horse weight. This particular horse has been unable to gain weight despite vet recommended diet, and will not be able to survive the winter. Still, when standing next to it, seems big to a non horse knowledgeable person. I don't want to disrespect the horse by not being able to lift it, which I was going to accomplish by strapping the legs. Not sure if that is the best way either. Strap is 25'ish 7500# rating.
Any help would be appreciated.
We've buried five horses out back. We dig the hole with a rented skid skid steer (at the end of the day) with one sloped side. Vet comes the next day and does the sad thing at the top of the slope. My wife goes inside as the next part is inevitably unpleasant. The skid steer scoops a half bucket of dirt so as not to have the blade contact the body and pushes the horse down the slope then back fills. No way a compact tractor can handle this efficiently. Not enough power.

/ Lift capabilities #36  
I’ve done a lot of horses for folks. The key is to not have them help unless they understand how you need to do it with the equipment you have. Exactly like 4570 said, even if you can lift it very few soils will support your front tires with that kind of weight next to a hole deep enough for a horse.
Just push it in the hole.

/ Lift capabilities #37  
I’m a Veterinarian with nearly 40 years of experience. I have put down many, many horses. Most of the time it has gone well, but as anyone who spends time around horses knows the unexpected can happen, and sometimes does. I’ve learned a few things.

1. Having the horse’s owner(s) present during the euthanasia is a very good thing IMHO. It allows them to say the final goodbye and provides closure. Early in my career I didn’t feel this way, but have seen the benefits over the years.

2. Having the horse’s owner(s) present during burial should be avoided if at all possible. Even when done with great care, moving and burying a large animal is not usually pretty. Having the burial and any unexpected unpleasantries seen by the owner(s) is usually not beneficial.

3. Safety is very important. I’ve seen horses do very unexpected things at the time of euthanasia and this can be dangerous to all involved. I have been down in the grave to euthanize a horse a number of times, but no longer do it. I’ve had a couple close calls and bad things can happen quickly when a 1000+ lb animal falls over. It’s not always smooth.

4. I think the best method is to euthanize the horse as close to the grave as possible and then roll them in. Much preferable to have the owner(s) not present at this time if at all possible.

These are just my opinions based on my experience. Everyone is different and other’s opinions are equally valid.

It’s a difficult time and avoiding accidents and avoiding making of unpleasant memories helps make it a little easier.

BTW earlier someone posted Vets have a 9-5 work day. Not in my practice. I could only hope for that kind of schedule. Animals don’t go by our clocks and calendars. If you are going to deliver high quality service to your clients early and late hours along with weekends and holidays will be the norm.

/ Lift capabilities #38  
Been there, done that with my own horse. Loved that horse. I suggest dragging it to the edge of the hole with a chain. Unhook. Turn and push it in. No disrespect to that. Simply acknowledges that it was a big powerful animal.
MF

/ Lift capabilities #39  
Been there, done that with my own horse. Loved that horse. I suggest dragging it to the edge of the hole with a chain. Unhook. Turn and push it in. No disrespect to that. Simply acknowledges that it was a big powerful animal.
MF
That's my thought. Once something is dead it's dead. Show love while it's living. Wife & I want cremation, no funeral, obit, flowers.
Ashes scattered here.

/ Lift capabilities #40  
I’m a Veterinarian with nearly 40 years of experience. I have put down many, many horses. Most of the time it has gone well, but as anyone who spends time around horses knows the unexpected can happen, and sometimes does. I’ve learned a few things.

1. Having the horse’s owner(s) present during the euthanasia is a very good thing IMHO. It allows them to say the final goodbye and provides closure. Early in my career I didn’t feel this way, but have seen the benefits over the years.

2. Having the horse’s owner(s) present during burial should be avoided if at all possible. Even when done with great care, moving and burying a large animal is not usually pretty. Having the burial and any unexpected unpleasantries seen by the owner(s) is usually not beneficial.

3. Safety is very important. I’ve seen horses do very unexpected things at the time of euthanasia and this can be dangerous to all involved. I have been down in the grave to euthanize a horse a number of times, but no longer do it. I’ve had a couple close calls and bad things can happen quickly when a 1000+ lb animal falls over. It’s not always smooth.

4. I think the best method is to euthanize the horse as close to the grave as possible and then roll them in. Much preferable to have the owner(s) not present at this time if at all possible.

These are just my opinions based on my experience. Everyone is different and other’s opinions are equally valid.

It’s a difficult time and avoiding accidents and avoiding making of unpleasant memories helps make it a little easier.

BTW earlier someone posted Vets have a 9-5 work day. Not in my practice. I could only hope for that kind of schedule. Animals don’t go by our clocks and calendars. If you are going to deliver high quality service to your clients early and late hours along with weekends and holidays will be the norm.

Good post from a vet who knows.
Loved ones don't stand around and observe a dead person being prepped at the funeral home for display at the service, nor do they observe being shoved into the fiery furnace for cremation. So, likewise, should not witness the carcass being rolled into the grave. Leave that to the machine operator to take care of it.