Lifting a car with air bags

/ Lifting a car with air bags #21  
As you previously stated "to each his own". I could understand if the vehicle was a Muscle Car that the owners wanted to restore. It truly seems a costly project for a Fiero. Perhaps the vehicle has some sentimental value to the owner? BTW, best wishes. I sincerely hope that everything works out.

/ Lifting a car with air bags #22  
Check with local fire departments to see if they have lift bags. They might do it as a training opportunity or for a small donation.

Good Afternoon Guys,
I agree with Randy, we have air bags in our VFD, they are a great tool, that can be used at a remote site, just using a air pack bottle, the air bags, and hook up airlines and valves. It might make for a fun drill, volunteers love to practice using their rescue equipment !

Good Luck on whatever route you choose !

/ Lifting a car with air bags #23  
Gee, TOO FUNNY!, by the title of the post I thought collision "air bags" in which case no power from the battery "No Poof" of the "air bag.

What make and model is the car? If you ( they) wanted to to get some ground clearance, (because the car would be dragging floorboards) dig a spot under rocker panels to get a floor jack under a solid suspension mounting area or frame (or factory jack in stock location) jack up the car, fill holes under tires with dirt or place some boards under each tire where needed. then move the car.
Just be careful lifting with the forks, there can be
an assortment of lines, hoses other things that can be destroyed or damaged using the forks blindly.

/ Lifting a car with air bags #24  
some good feedback, thanks. the car is a fiero, i left that out somehow in my original post.

the thing is sitting right down on the frame all around. I will take a pic next time I am over there.
he's in no hurry to move it, which is how it ended up in this condition anyway.

airing up the tires will not do it. i was worried that digging around it to try to get ramps in place might wake it worse.
i have no idea whaundersideersode of a fiero looks like and what could be damaganythingnthing. anyonemorew moer about
them or have some photos of the underside.

don't know that we are overly cautious, i have just been bouncing some ideas around in my head of what might work. i think I could pull it out with the tractor or my pickup if it came to that, but there are limited attachmenaccessibleccessable and sturdy enough for that kind of rigging.

i think my idea with the forks is the easiest. just pick up one side and put a plank under both wheels, then go to the other side and do it again. the car is now up on its wheels and can be rolled away and on to the trailer. I think my little Bobcat can lift one side at a time, anyone know what a fiero weighs?

never mind i just found it online.

Wheelbase 2,373 mm (93.4 in)

Length
1984?986: 4,072 mm (160.3 in)
1987?988: 4,144 mm (163.1 in)
1987?988 GT: 4,193 mm (165.1 in)

Width
1984?986: 1,750 mm (68.9 in)
1987?988: 1,753 mm (69.0 in)

Height
1,191 mm (46.9 in)

Curb weight
1,176 to 1,265 kg (2,590 to 2,790 lb)

I also found there can be an issue with the cooling lines if the car is improperly lifted (below from wikipedia)

A second problem has become common since more Fieros are being serviced by auto repair shops that do not know their design very well. The underbody coolant tubes are positioned in a manner that a casual glance underneath the car may not suggest their fragility. As a result, many of them have been crushed by shop lifts, resulting in a near complete lack of engine cooling. The age of the car suggests that even General Motors dealerships may now be unaware of the proper jacking methods.

REGARDLESS of how you help, make sure you don't get burned if something -breaks..... i.e.
No guarantees, not responsible for damage ( you do seem to be being conscientious) but that
you are helping a friend, ect..... ect....

if you can slide your forks tight (narrow) enough to gently cradle (just the bottoms) of each tire and wheel
with just enough of the forks passing to backside of wheel/tire, carefully lift each corner
( one at a time) then fill in the hole with dirt or support with boards.

/ Lifting a car with air bags #25  
I have a Hi-Lift jack, and would use this.

image-1215608061.jpg

Dig a hole at the jack point, and use the lift. Available at most farm stores (in the Midwest at least). Last one I bought was $70 or so - several years ago. The most handiest jack you can have on a farm or around equipment...IMHO.

/ Lifting a car with air bags #26  
Alloy or steel wheels with holes in?
How about a lifting strop or a stout rope through each wheel and then then lift each wheel in turn with the forks through the rope, then fill the hole in the ground. Minimal chance of damage to the body, wheel or suspension and no need to get forks under the frame.

/ Lifting a car with air bags #27  
Fiero eh.

If you use the forks under the rocker panel remember there are some stainless steel cooling lines along the side.

To jack there is a spot right in the middle of the rocker panel as the jack point. The whole side lifts up. There are also rear and front cross members as well as the bottom of the A frames on the suspension.

Really intriguing would be to lift the back end using the pull hooks on the engine. Might be able to lift the front using the spare tire mount.

Dig a hole at the jack point and use the jack!:eek:

/ Lifting a car with air bags
Here are a couple pics. I will inquire with the local Fire Dept and the County Heavy Rescue to see if they are interested in doing it as a training exercise, that's a good idea.

IMAG1051 (Small).jpgIMAG1053 (Small).jpgIMAG1055 (Small).jpgIMAG1052 (Small).jpgIMAG1054 (Small).jpg