Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #1  

BandDcabinet

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, B3030, B7100
I recall reading a discussion recently regarding the use of the FEL and stabilizers to lift the tractor while using the BH. I noticed the attached pictures on the Kubota site both with the tractor raised off the ground.

I'm not trying to support either point of view. I just thought the pictures showed what one might think was the image Kubota wanted to create of a typical use.

I enjoy reading the opinions and trying to guess the positions various frequent forum contributors will take and which ones will speak up on various subjects.

Thank you for the ideas and entertainment.

Attachments

• tlbslide2.jpg
    tlbslide2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 833
  • tlbslide3.jpg
    tlbslide3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 705
   / Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #2  
Both of these images are of the B26 which is sold as a compact commercial grade TLB. Like its bigger brothers (L39 and L48) it comes with a heavy duty sub-frame and 4 post ROPS which completes the cube. The FEL is not (easily) removable. IMO Kubota wants commercial operators to see the B26 as small tough tractor that can be used just like the big boys -- all wheels hanging.

But Kubota's images of CUTs and SCUTs with OPTIONAL back-hoes are not so consistent. Some appear to show the tractor fully suspended and others just "stabilized" with the tires touching or (nearly touching) the ground. Some show the FEL bucket on edge and others tipped so both bucket edges are flat on the ground.

When the tractor is suspended, it is hanging from and/or resting on the sub-frame which connects the back-hoe assembly to the FEL towers and tublar cross member. AFAIK the key issue is the strength/rigidity of this sub-frame on optional back-hoes and perhaps the FEL towers themselves. FWIW I do not know the answer.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #3  
Not an expert, but looks like FEL cylinders would be vunerable to damage when having all tires off grd./

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #4  
I have a little BX and I always dig with the rear wheels off but the front are not always. Depends on the grad. I also use my bucket with the cutting edge near vertical also so the sliding is at a minimum. If its never hurt my little machine, yours will certainly be fine.

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #5  
There's a potential for those pics to stir up a bit more controversy because they're of the B26 TLB... some could argue that's different from a non-TLB tractor with FEL and BH attachments. So, in an effort to remove some ambiguity here are some pics of a BX24 and a L2800 off of Kubota's website ... I brightened them up a tad so that it is clear that the tires are off the ground. The point is all of these components are designed to handle the loads... If they weren't, then the manuals would be very clear about it and like everything other potential safety hazard, there would probably be 17 warning stickers plastered to the tractor, FEL, and BH.

Attachments

• bx24_backhoe.jpg
    bx24_backhoe.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 618
  • L2800_backhoe1.jpg
    L2800_backhoe1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 543
   / Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers
I thought I read on here somewhere maybe a post from Messicks that the B26 was based on the B2630. Is the basic tractor frame different for the B26?

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #7  
BandDcabinet said:
I thought I read on here somewhere maybe a post from Messicks that the B26 was based on the B2630. Is the basic tractor frame different for the B26?
Yes. Compare the first photo in the B2630/3030 image gallery on the Kubota site to the pics you posted.

The question is whether the B26's beefier subframe is _required_ or is it just insurance for likely abuse in a commercial setting.

FWIW I agree w/ DiezNuts that the manual(s) would have clear warnings if the equipment was not up to the task of suspending the tractor (e.g. blah-blah voids the warranty, etc).

Talon Dancer

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #8  
Hi In my bx-23 manual it says to leave 1 rear wheel lightly in contact with ground can't remwmber what it says about front but I try to stab edge into ground and lift front pressure off tires barely

Pat R

/ Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #9  
LOOPHOLE said:
Not an expert, but looks like FEL cylinders would be vunerable to damage when having all tires off grd./

I've been meaning to ask this question myself,
photo2.jpg
got this from the Kubota photo gallary on their web site on B3030.
I guess its ok to do with the fel Cylinders fully extendended since thats the way they show it on the Kubota Web Site photo gallary? I do not feel real good about it though, worried about those cylinder rods. tried it a few times, sure does work better in keeping tractor from moving. But with digging in rocky soil a lot ??

Last edited:
   / Lifting tractor with FEL and Stabilizers #10  
I won't lift my BX that way. I leave the bucket in the level position and raise it that way. Back wheels stay on the ground unless it's really soupy.

Those photos would be wrong by Kubota's manual, unless they mention something different, you risking cylinder damage.