??Light duty hydraulic winch available

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available
IslandTractor,

How do you like your BearCat chipper? I have an older one that will chip 4 in. I also added the blower assembly.

Works very well. No complaints. Nice big flywheel. I could drag down my 20hp tractor with 4"+ material but the bigger tractor handles it with ease. I haven't used it much in the past six months but it does a nice job. I sometimes wish I had the blower assembly because the one downside of this chipper is that it drops the chips right underneath itself and you need to move the tractor about every ten minutes. The blower obviously fixes that issue and also lets you load a trailer or pickup directly.

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available #22  
All this talk about hydraulic winches has started an itch. I need a logging winch. Not for heavy duty , maybe 6-8 logs a year. My property is mostly wet woodland and I don't think it will ever dry out. I don't like to make ruts so I try to stay on the perimeter track. I need a long cable and a winch .
The 3 point logging winches are too expensive. I keep thinking about a carry all ,gusseted up a bit with a hyd winch and pivoting snatch block. I have a 12vdc 8000# Warn. maybe I can slap a hyd motor on that . ( Really big battery ? whats the point when there are hydraulics around, besides I am not sure a 35 amp alt would keep up) I have to pull off the DC motor and see what is on the end. Grainger has a nice one ,no cable , $1400. I know the 3 point logging winches have some safety features this rig would not have, like that standing to the side with a pull rope. I am still thinking.

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available #23  
I was thinking along the lines of a chain hoist.

HF has some that are very reasonable and I think they are more safe for a suspended load than a winch.

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available #24  
Even with the hydraulics it is still going to be a LOT simpler (and cheaper)to mount a small electric winch and pulley system. A 3 conductor #16 extension cord will extend the controls back to the drivers seat....Just mount the winch in a protective cage so you don't crunch it when the boom is being removed.
I use an 8000lb electric (with an additional Optima battery) for my logging needs and have only killed the battery once in 4 yrs. This was the same day we broke the original 30yr old winch cable for the first time.( Had the front of the tractor chained off to a maple but the oak got hung up during the pull)

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available #25  
Even with the hydraulics it is still going to be a LOT simpler (and cheaper)to mount a small electric winch and pulley system. A 3 conductor #16 extension cord will extend the controls back to the drivers seat....Just mount the winch in a protective cage so you don't crunch it when the boom is being removed.
I use an 8000lb electric (with an additional Optima battery) for my logging needs and have only killed the battery once in 4 yrs. This was the same day we broke the original 30yr old winch cable for the first time.( Had the front of the tractor chained off to a maple but the oak got hung up during the pull)

I am hijacking Sorry. when you used the 8000# electric winch for logging how did you charge the battery? With the tractor alternator? Did you use the tractor bat in parallel with the winch battery?

/ ??Light duty hydraulic winch available #26  
I once had a 1950 Power Wagon that had a PTO driven winch mounted on the front...I would love to find something similar (smaller) that would mount on a Kubota and utilize the mid PTO...