Lightning

/ Lightning #1  

patrick_g

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC
I think most of us are at least a little less safety conscious about lightning than is prudent. A "BOLT FROM THE BLUE" (lightning when you are under a blue (often cloudless) sky has killed several people. Lightning strikes several miles in front of an approaching storm or behind a departing one not only close to the main part of the storm.

By the time you hear thunder or see the flashes of an approaching storm you are already in the kill zone. I learned a stupid habit from my storm worrying folks but I no longer go rushing outside to look at approaching or departing storms (having read extensively on the topic.) A good source of accurate info is the National Weather Service.

Such as ==> NWS Pueblo Lightning Page

The attached photo is of cows who happened to be standing near a fence when lightning hit close to the fence.

According to insurance statistics there are people killed every year by lightning sending a high voltage shock through the phone wires while they were talking on a corded phone.

A friend of mine was watching TV in his living room to get storm information (many Oklahomans are storm conscious due to being in tornado alley) when lightning literally blew up his TV and sent a ball of glowing plasma the size of a basket ball shooting out of the TV across the room at him. It bounced on the floor glanced across him went through an open door and dissipated. He only got tingled and surprised and no other damage was done but the TV was a total loss. I didn't ask about his underwear.

Tractors without metal tops on fully enclosed cabs are not safe places to be in a lightning storm. I gave that up too. I used to like to sit on the porch and watch storms, gave that up too (but I still watch from an enclosed porch when it is facing correctly.) Statistics say you don't even want to be right next to a window. Darn.

I do recall something from personal experience that reminds me of just how smart many folks are about lightning. I was at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. We were seated outdoors near an opening used by bats to ingress/egress to/from the cavern below. The rangers had a permanent podium with a PA system. You could hear lightning crash static over the PA from EMP from the strokes. The lead ranger went to the mike and announced that lightning tends to be attracted to discontinuities, things such as the opening into the cave used by the bats. He said that it was not safe to stay in the area and that he and all the ranger personnel were leaving out of consideration for personal safety and suggested that all we visitors do the same.

Immediately there are two or three folks who rush up to ask if they can stay to take pictures of the bats coming out anyway. The ranger with a pained expression on his face said the visitors should not stay but that the rangers were not police and would not make them leave but to be informed that the bats were too smart to come out during a thunderstorm! We left as the first few drops hit and were in hail before we got to the camper. A couple die hard BOZOS stayed to take bat pix. I guess they didn't believe the Ranger when he said the bats were too smart to come out in a storm. After the storm (really rocked the camper) there was a couple inches of hail in the parking lot.

Pat

Pat

Attachments

• deadcows.jpg
    deadcows.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 541
   / Lightning #2  
Yeah...but think of the bright side...lightning helps clean the gene pool.

/ Lightning #3  
I think it was Jerry Pournelle, the author, that called it "natural selection in action".
One of the scariest moments I had in working on explosives for 28 years in the AF was having to build bombs for an actual mission (not training) when a thunderstorm was approaching. The manual lets you work up to lightning within three (miles), I had the guys quit at lightning within five.

/ Lightning #4  
patrick g:

Your friend had a close encounter with "ball lightening". Those floating orbs are amazing, but usually dissipate without catastrophy. They used to emanate from the well pump handle in my kitchen during T-storms :cool:. Jay

/ Lightning #5  
Jay, you are amazing.

I've looked for a solid explanation for ball lightning for some time & here you've seen the real thing right in your kitchen.

From what I have read it is not always benign & can burn things it touches so maybe I shouldn't wish that I'd been there? Still, you have had an experience that few other shave.

Stay safe

/ Lightning #6  
jbrumberg said:
patrick g:

Your friend had a close encounter with "ball lightening". Those floating orbs are amazing, but usually dissipate without catastrophy. They used to emanate from the well pump handle in my kitchen during T-storms :cool:. Jay

I have a friend that remembers when he was a kid, kneeling on his bed looking out the bedroom window during a thunderstorm. A ball of lightning came across the yard at ground level, through his closed window and blew his bed springs across the room, starting his mattress on fire. He described it with this distant look in his eyes and said he will never forget it. :eek:

/ Lightning #7  
Mom making us lunch in the middle of a huge Florida thunderstorm, very common, lighting hit close, and mom opened the metal breadbox and a ball of blue flame / fire danced out rolled across the kitchen counter bounced to the floor and petered out.

We all stood there staring at each other wondering what had just happened.

Had never heard of anyone else seeing this type deal before now.

/ Lightning
RoyJackson said:
Yeah...but think of the bright side...lightning helps clean the gene pool.

Roy, I have to ask... are you referring to the cows who were into the grass is greener on the other side of the fence thing which is how they got zapped or do you refer to folks on the phone, or maybe the nut cases trying to qualify for a Darwin award at the bat cave?

My best guess is the nuts at the bat cave, holy electrocution Batman!

Now that I have read up on lightning stuff I will probably be a little (maybe a lot in some cases) more circumspect about my personal exposure to unnecessary risk.

In Australia there are about 10 deaths and 100 serious injuries to people every year from lightning.
Interesting read:
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Lightning deaths in the US:

Lightning Fatalities, Injuries, and Damage Reports in the United States - National Lightning Safety Institute

This second site shows deaths by lightning by state for 1990 through 2003. Florida leads second place Texas 126 to 52 while Oklahoma manages just 17.

I know that the gene pool could stand a little more chlorine but not all those killed were stupid people just often ignorant of the facts about lightning safety. We had drills for duck and cover to avoid broken glass and debris thrown out by the shock wave of a nuclear bomb why not a little more emphasis on lightning safety.

Just what is it about folks in Wyoming anyway? Their death rate adjusted for population is over 2 per million with Utah a distant second at 0.7 while California and Massachusetts are tied at 0.02 and Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island claim 0.0 with no registered lightning deaths.

Many lightning deaths are preventable but the informationi is just not out there. Lightning safety should be taught in the schools.

Pat

/ Lightning #9  
patrick_g said:
Roy, I have to ask... are you referring to the cows who were into the grass is greener on the other side of the fence thing which is how they got zapped or do you refer to folks on the phone, or maybe the nut cases trying to qualify for a Darwin award at the bat cave?

My best guess is the nuts at the bat cave, holy electrocution Batman

The Bat Cave, Robin

/ Lightning #10  
patrick_g said:
Just what is it about folks in Wyoming anyway? Their death rate adjusted for population is over 2 per million with Utah a distant second at 0.7 while California and Massachusetts are tied at 0.02 and Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island claim 0.0 with no registered lightning deaths.

That's a pretty interesting map. There appears to be something particularly dangerous about lightning in the Rocky Mountain states. Wyoming is the worst, but the rest of the Rocky Mountain states are also right up there. For some reason (I would guess fewer thunderstoms) the other western states, although also very mountainous, are about the safest states..

The strangest thing is that Vermont and Maine are both pretty high in the rankings, whereas New Hampshire and Massachusetts are near the bottom.