Limb Hog

/ Limb Hog #1  

workinonit

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I bought a Limb Hog a few months back and just found time today to fab a bracket to mount it. I've been back and forth in my pea brain about how and on what I was going to mount it. Finally had an epiphany today and came up with a much less intrusive way to mount it than what I was originally considering. I used it a bit and though it's certainly not magic by any means it is a way to get to some of those out of reach limbs. The loader blocks the visibility if your all the way up so I mounted one of my cameras on the boom. Still some things to work out but I think it will be very helpful. I will add to this thread as I have more comments about it.

/ Limb Hog #2  
let us know how this works out. i have eye'd one at my local dealer. Just wondering if a tractor is too rough on the bar and chain. I like the idea of mounting it off the side of a bucket and taking branches down in the trail lanes.

/ Limb Hog #3  
Looking forward to update.

/ Limb Hog
I like the side mount idea. I may give that a try. The main issue I have is the torque tube on the loader is exactly in the wrong place for it. Right in you field of sight. I think off to the side would be much better. The camera is okay but no matter what you still need to see what's going on live.

/ Limb Hog #5  
Limb Hog looked well made.

Using my homemade similar polesaw yesterday. Had the backhoe on that let me tilt with the tractor with the outriggers giving another axis of adjustment. Can’t do that with a skidsteer.

Added some vertical receivers to a SSQA trailer mover plate for the polesaw. Like having the saw to right side. This also gives some extra height. HST almost a requirement.

They make beam clamps that have cup point that grip much better than clamps on your forks. On the spot fireable safety issue for riggers.

Bars are consumables. I’ve bent two after 100s of cuts. Buy Oregon 20” bar and chain on Amazon $40. Still on first chain.

Got to let saw cut by its own weight. Not by FEL or tractor movement. Exception on long flexible limbs along the road.

It does take some practice and patience but makes piles of limbs in hurry. Been a valuable tool on the farm.

Last edited:
   / Limb Hog #6  
I bought a Limb Hog a few months back and just found time today to fab a bracket to mount it. I've been back and forth in my pea brain about how and on what I was going to mount it. Finally had an epiphany today and came up with a much less intrusive way to mount it than what I was originally considering. I used it a bit and though it's certainly not magic by any means it is a way to get to some of those out of reach limbs. The loader blocks the visibility if your all the way up so I mounted one of my cameras on the boom. Still some things to work out but I think it will be very helpful. I will add to this thread as I have more comments about it.
Looks interesting. I went to the website and didn't see a cost. How did you buy yours and what was the cost?

Thanks

/ Limb Hog
It was around $2300. I just emailed Jim Capers, the owner.

/ Limb Hog #8  
Think limb Hog makes one of the better ones. Some are imported.

Homemade one is a little longer but almost twice as heavy. Using materials I had on hand. It cuts like an angry beaver.

Down side you really can’t under cut. Spring you can get some bark tear out. So valuable trees I’ll under cut the bark with another polesaw for a cleaner and faster healing cut.

/ Limb Hog
Yeah, no doubt, if I had the time I would have built one like you. The more I use it the better I'm getting with it. It's a really handy tool now. I have to find a way to protect my camera. It is very useful when it is mounted close enough to the saw. I'm going to mount it inside a piece of 8" schedule 40 pipe and attach the pipe to the limb hog with a couple of long hose clamps.

/ Limb Hog #10  
I still use my manual pole saw. However - there ARE those times.......... Pinched saw blades - wimpy limbs - etc.