Lincoln troubles

/ Lincoln troubles
DL Meisen:

Yes, that's my next step, I took the motor out yesterday, will try to run it with battery.

The motor resistance is 13 Ohms, seems to be high but I don't know what it should be.

Toys:

What welder would you recommend? I used this little WeldPak100 for over 20 years and never had the money or solid reason to use anything but flux core wire.

The motor - if it's the motor - from Lincoln is 9SL7801 (whole assembly), over $200 shipped. I think it's time to upgrade.

/ Lincoln troubles #12  
Sadly I suspect it isn't worth fixing. You can probably get a brand new lincoln 140 or better yet 180 for not much more than the repair would cost.

/ Lincoln troubles
Sadly I suspect it isn't worth fixing. You can probably get a brand new lincoln 140 or better yet 180 for not much more than the repair would cost.

Yeah, you are absolutely right.

/ Lincoln troubles
The motor checks out, spins nicely. By the sound of the welder - without the motor and shorting the gun contacts - it sounds like a relay switching on and having too much resistance.

/ Lincoln troubles #15  
I had a blade welder on a bandsaw that would blow breakers. It was a bad contactor, the ruined contacts causing high resistance. If you can make a cheap off the shelf contactor work it may be worth trying that for the $10-20 it would cost.

/ Lincoln troubles
I had a blade welder on a bandsaw that would blow breakers. It was a bad contactor, the ruined contacts causing high resistance. If you can make a cheap off the shelf contactor work it may be worth trying that for the $10-20 it would cost.

Thank you.

/ Lincoln troubles
Life got in the way, welder is still waiting to be taken apart, it must be a short by debris in some inconvenient place.

/ Lincoln troubles #18  
i had a weird problem years ago with my small 120 wire feed unit. when i went to pull the trigger, the wire would spool out but would not be gripped tight enough with the spooler mechanism and wire would loosen up and ground out on case. i dont remember if the breaker would trip though. been years ago.

/ Lincoln troubles #19  
The problem is not the motor. If the unit is back together, plugged in and power on, but not wire feeding, does it still trip the breaker? Of can it set there running, until you activate the feed trigger?

Have you swapped out the breaker, just to make sure it is not a bad (weak) one? My friend just down the road, had this happen to him just a few weeks ago. Breaker looked good, it switched on and off as felt normal, but it was bad. Voltage coming out was very low. Have you measured the A/C voltage at the welding receptacle (or at the breaker) while the welder is plugged in and powered on in standby? Or are you reading a significantly low voltage?

If none of this helps, I would troubleshoot the high-current DC power supply in the machine. Most likely it is a shorted filter capacitor, or high-current diode. Those are both inexpensive to replace. If you do not have the skills to do that, do you know anyone in the electrical or electronics repair biz (TV repair tech), or a ham radio operator? They would likely be able to help.

Good luck. Post back your results?

/ Lincoln troubles
I narrowed it down to diodes. Two out of four don't check out by the meter, so I need to find M9661 - 40RU and M9661 - 40U. Of course they are on the heat sink deep inside the welder, but it's good to make a progress.

Attachments

• Lincoln.jpg
    Lincoln.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 131