Little Buddy Seat

/ Little Buddy Seat #21  
"male dog has his butt on the accelerator, female looking out from the other side, neither one steering."

thats a instant classic.lol

/ Little Buddy Seat #22  
Yeah, to each his own is about right.

My tractor is big and old, has no cab, and the brakes are not the best. My kids are nowhere close when I am on that, especially if I am bush hogging. They know not to approach it. Period.

My daughters have been sitting on my lap on the lawn tractor since they were 2 or 3, not sure exactly but my youngest is 8 now and still rides with me sometimes. They know the rules though. They know I can't hear them so they stand out in front of my path and wave to get my attention, then they wait until it is turned off and I invite them to come closer. Once they are settled on my knee with my arm around them it will start up again. Mowing around trees and on hills means I stop it and they get off until I am finished that obstacle. Lots of nice moments on sunny days driving around together and watching the bees on the flowers and the horses in the fields.

Rules are rules and if children are taught the reason for those rules, then they will usually follow them and risk can be minimized. Nothing is ever totally safe though. My girls know that I am mostly blind when I am backing up the horse trailer, so they don't run around when that is happening. They stay in the barn and wait until I am stopped. They don't scream and fight behind a horse because a startled horse might kick. They can drive their battery powered gators all over the yard, but when I am mowing they stay clear of me because something could get thrown from the blades. They still screw up and break all of those rules now and then. That's what kids do. Then I get cranky at them. That's what parents do. Any one of those things could kill them just as easily as falling off the lawn tractor though.

Every parent sets their own acceptable level of risk when it comes to cooking/helping in the kitchen, driving in cars, riding atv's, bikes or skateboards. I expect my decisions to be different from others and am good with that. I do agree with hearing protection though. I have that covered because as soon as they are settled on my lap they proceed to grab the FM ear muffs off of my head and start rocking out to my tunes.

/ Little Buddy Seat #23  
Just want to say I'm 62. Most of what we used to do is far more dangerous then than we do now. We had spark shooting Carbide cannons that sold over the counter. We could still easily get explosives and guns. No seat belts. Rode in the back of trucks without restraints. Rode in and drove cars without any safety features. Drove stripped down cars and motorcycles. Towed other vehicles with rope. Etc, etc, etc. The list is too long to list here. We also had common sense.

Seems to me that you're more likely to die driving to town today than most any other cause 60 years ago. They say that being a cop is dangerous. Yet they are more likely to die driving to and from work than on the job.

Then look at family dynamics. When were families closer? 60 years ago when we were so dangerous or today? I'm just saying. I totally understand the fear some people have of operating machinery with our kids. But growing up in that "dangerous" country living taught us far more than just safety, it taught us common sense. Meaning country kids with all the dangers don't tend to make as many dangerous mistakes. Perhaps that's also part of why country kids are not usually the one's involved in mass shootings and such.

/ Little Buddy Seat #24  
My son always will ride in the cab with me,I would never leave him behind. He sits on the seat with me,he doesn't wear ear protection iside cause its not loud in there. I was raised riding on fenders and laps. I think running down a highway at 70mph with tons of idiots on the road,driving on highways after dark,people talking on phones with kids in the car but riding in pastures at 3mph,come on guys,no kid fell in love with farming,in front of a playstation cause you ran off and left them. I'm just glad my grandpa and dad,didn't leave me behind.

/ Little Buddy Seat #25  
I'm with you guys. Apply some common sense. I don't try to do work with the machine with a kid on my lap but I do give them dedicated rides in a predictable setting with my full attention. Giving them the experience while minimizing the risks involved. I always explain the dangers of the tractor to the kids so that they can gain an appreciation of it. I don't want their first exposer to these kind of things to be when they are being taught the hard way on there own or by someone else.

Some of my favorite memories are riding around with my grandfather on the tractor. I like what I have seen in some larger JD machines, built in kids seats.

/ Little Buddy Seat #26